The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 9/19/2019 at 4:45 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd rather have a controlled rehab then him trying to go all out, maybe overdoing it just to try to prove a point.  It's the timing of his knee healing up that's most important right now. Dec-Jan is fine by me. We got Benn and Myers going now and Hughie needs some game time.

We've waited this long for OJ a few more months ain't going to make difference in the long run.

Well said, I know many of us want to see him play some games as soon as possible. The fact of the matter is you can never rush a rehab of a knee, back and head injury. Like you said, we are playing with house money for when OJ is 100%. At this point we have the depth to be patient for when he’s ready, and I’m ok with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:20 PM, Dungass said:

Could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that he won't play any games in October.  Anyone else read this?

JB made that comment but said he would not be playing in the preseason and would play IN October.  I think the Comets first preseason game on October 6.  They don't get started until after the NHL starts.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

JB made that comment but said he would not be playing in the preseason and would play IN October.  I think the Comets first preseason game on October 6.  They don't get started until after the NHL starts.

Yes, I checked it this morning after a funny face was made on post.  Benning was clearly stating that Juolevi would be playing games in October.

It's soo interesting to see Juolevi's development path from a highs and lows perspective. 

Literally draft year, won everything possible. OHL CUP, MEM CUP, WJC GOLD. Most points by a u18 D man. 

Then injuries, moving teams/leagues/countries, more injuries, moving teams/leagues/countries again, and injuries again. 

I don't think I've seen such a contrast, but it has likely been a humbling experience which we all need from time to time. I really hope this year the ship starts to right itself and we see him have a consistent, and positive growth year on the ice. I think there has been a lot of growth off the ice though which has been important too. 

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

I hope they give him proper "load management" so he can recover, get up to speed, and develop. The kid can't afford to lose another developmental year after losing the last one. This year will be huge for him. 

Knee surgeries usually take 6 months to heal to 90% of the end result, that he has rehabbed for as long as he has and is still questionable is almost one in 100,000. McDavid just had the same surgery 3 months ago. Ditto with his back, Boser's was way more serious, so was Edler's, both were back much sooner. Read this, there may be some "other" issue, something not being made readily public. Remember Kassian's issue was kept pretty quiet for 4 years. Is video addition much worse than other additions?

Just saying, maybe there is something else.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

34 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Knee surgeries usually take 6 months to heal to 90% of the end result, that he has rehabbed for as long as he has and is still questionable is almost one in 100,000. McDavid just had the same surgery 3 months ago. Ditto with his back, Boser's was way more serious, so was Edler's, both were back much sooner. Read this, there may be some "other" issue, something not being made readily public. Remember Kassian's issue was kept pretty quiet for 4 years. Is video addition much worse than other additions?

You have the education, training and expertise in Orthpedic Surgery and specific knowledge of OJ's medical history  to make that kind of assessment?  

Well if so, way to violate the patient confidentiality ethics, and if not, you literally are pointing to an apple and a watermelon and saying they are the same thing.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

You have the education, training and expertise in Orthpedic Surgery and specific knowledge of OJ's medical history  to make that kind of assessment?  

Well if so, way to violate the patient confidentiality ethics, and if not, you literally are pointing to an apple and a watermelon and saying they are the same thing.  

Most here do. Wait.... are you saying you’re not a Dr? :picard:

44 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Knee surgeries are not all the same. McDavid did not even have surgery, he injured his PCL which heals quite well without surgery. Juolevi had a meniscal tear repaired which is an entirely different structure than ligaments and has much less vascularization which means slower/worse healing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Knee surgeries are not all the same. McDavid did not even have surgery, he injured his PCL which heals quite well without surgery. Juolevi had a meniscal tear repaired which is an entirely different structure than ligaments and has much less vascularization which means slower/worse healing.

Besides being an area that has poor circulation, thus slower healing time, we don't know the extent of his injury.  

From his play and other challenges, OJ may have had more than one thing wrong with his knee or his back when he was laid up.  Everyone heals at different rates.  This cautionary approach to OJ likely is to prevent him from pushing too far, too fast.  Something he may have done previously.  

On 9/22/2019 at 8:48 AM, 73 Percent said:

Is there someone else we can call in an emergency then?

Nope, 

I won't preform surgery on your knee, but I can do alot when someone is really sick or injured.  

I promise Dr Recchi isn't my partner on the ambulance.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

16 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

15 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I don't know about you but when I had knee surgeries I tried to learn all I could about recovery times. The 90% comes from studies done where a surgery was performed and then the animal was put down and the strength of the ligaments measured against healthy ligaments by pulling the joint apart and other tests.

Meniscus doesn't repair itself, it usually is removed. The end result is bone on bone contact and eventual knee replacement. Maybe new procedures can place a piece of teflon or cavour menicus stapled in, that I have not looked up. But the ligaments are rarely operated on.

FYI - Total re-construction of knee = 10 months with rehab. All ligaments torn or detached and stapled back in.

3 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I don't know about you but when I had knee surgeries I tried to learn all I could about recovery times. The 90% comes from studies done where a surgery was performed and then the animal was put down and the strength of the ligaments measured against healthy ligaments by pulling the joint apart and other tests.

Meniscus doesn't repair itself, it usually is removed. The end result is bone on bone contact and eventual knee replacement. Maybe new procedures can place a piece of teflon or cavour menicus stapled in, that I have not looked up. But the ligaments are rarely operated on.

FYI - Total re-construction of knee = 10 months with rehab. All ligaments torn or detached and stapled back in.

i believe stem cells are offering some hope for cartilage regeneration. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I just really feel for the guy.  I’m sure his goal was to make the team in camp and his knee never gave him the chance.

Doubtful, JB made it clear on the offseason that he was going to start in Utica

• Cheers 1