The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

25 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i had cartilage removed when i was 18 played soccer 2.5 weeks later and was fine   i just think canucks are being ultra cautious bout this kid 

You won't notice until much later how much damage you have done (arthrosis, osteochondrosis etc.).

On topic: they should certainly be cautious with OJ. If he has another setback it might be over for him.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

WOW, over 600 pages of a player still in the system listed as a prospect, maybe he isn't anymore. Or he is just a player that may be lucky to play in the 7 or 8 slot at some time.

I was reading about Risto and seeing if they ever played together, when I came across this from 2016 (Yes we are still waiting in 2019) ;(

I find it interesting to see what was said way back when

Vancouver Canucks D Olli Juolevi Wasn’t Majority of Fans First Choice, But There’s Still Reason for Excitement

Many Vancouver Canucks fans left the NHL Draft with a sour taste in their mouth following the selection of Finnish D Olli Juolevi. It was largely due to the fact that Matthew Tkachuk, son of former NHLer Keith Tkachuk was still on the board and projected by many as the next top prospect available.

It would have undoubtedly been a solid fit for the Canucks to add a gritty, skilled forward with All-Star potential. After all, we had Matthew Tkachuk being selected by Vancouver over the final few months of our mock drafts.

We also had Edmonton taking Olli Juolevi at fourth overall. Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli also suggested the team was looking at defense until Jesse Puljujarvi fell into their lap. That means both Edmonton and Vancouver also had Olli Juolevi ranked number four. 

In fact, any team that was doing its job properly scouting had a similar draft board. Vancouver Canucks D Olli Juolevi was hands down the next best prospect behind “the big three”.

Had the Blue Jackets drafted BAP (best available player), Vancouver would have been in line to take Matthew Tkachuk.

As you can see in the video below, Olli Juolevi is out to prove something at Canucks Development Camp, and is hoping to make a big impression at the prospects tournament.

The big 6’3 Finn is an excellent two-way defender. He isn’t known for being flashy, not normally standing out, but he goes about his business effectively. Juolevi has that ability to rack up a pair of assists on the score sheet without even recognizing he was on the ice. While he seldom stands out, the biggest takeaway should be the fact that he rarely makes defensive mistakes. 

Many scouts compare Vancouver Canucks D Olli Juolevi to Pittsburgh’s Olli Maatta. While a fair comparison, Juolevi is more of a cross between Maatta and Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen. When you compare the three above at 18-years-old, Olli Juolevi’s game is more complete, with poise and maturity.

Most predict that Juolevi stands little chance of cracking the Canucks roster this Fall. While the odds are stacked against him – especially given Vancouver’s added defensive depth with Erik Gudbranson – don’t count out the possibility that Olli Juolevi starts next season with the Canucks.

His overall game is years ahead in development, he has the size to stack up, and some of his best traits are the way he sees/thinks the game – said to be the toughest adjustment to make decisions a split second quicker at the NHL level.

So for those Vancouver fans who are upset over passing on Matthew Tkachuk, your feelings are justified. He should be a top-six star for the Calgary Flames. Just don’t sell yourself short on Olli Juolevi. If you think the Canucks made a mistake taking the young Finn, it shouldn’t take much time to prove those doubters wrong.

Give GM Jim Benning credit (something we don’t a lot of around here), he managed to get his hands on a future no.1 defenseman. Juolevi could be one of the best defensive Finnish prospects since Teppo Numminen.

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

31 minutes ago, joe-max said:

You won't notice until much later how much damage you have done (arthrosis, osteochondrosis etc.).

On topic: they should certainly be cautious with OJ. If he has another setback it might be over for him.

i played soccer 2.5 weeks later that was 24 yrs ago  my knees fine. my other knee they did surgery 2 yrs ago is nt as good think surgeon messed it up

Edited by canuktravella

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I don't know about you but when I had knee surgeries I tried to learn all I could about recovery times. The 90% comes from studies done where a surgery was performed and then the animal was put down and the strength of the ligaments measured against healthy ligaments by pulling the joint apart and other tests.

Meniscus doesn't repair itself, it usually is removed. The end result is bone on bone contact and eventual knee replacement. Maybe new procedures can place a piece of teflon or cavour menicus stapled in, that I have not looked up. But the ligaments are rarely operated on.

FYI - Total re-construction of knee = 10 months with rehab. All ligaments torn or detached and stapled back in.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here as most of it does not pertain to Juolevi. You said that McDavid had the same surgery as Juolevi 3 months ago as if to save OJ is behind in recovery. Not only is that incorrect because McDavid didn't even have surgery but they had entirely different injuries (McJesus - PCL, Juolevi - Meniscus). Juolevi is at the 9 month mark now which is on schedule for a meniscus repair. I don't think the specific procedure performed is public information so I don't know if Juolevi had a total or partial menisectomy or repair. It would depend what part of the meniscus was injured and which type of tear. 

Also, animal studies have their place but ultimately have limited carry over to human outcomes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I don't know about you but when I had knee surgeries I tried to learn all I could about recovery times. The 90% comes from studies done where a surgery was performed and then the animal was put down and the strength of the ligaments measured against healthy ligaments by pulling the joint apart and other tests.

Meniscus doesn't repair itself, it usually is removed. The end result is bone on bone contact and eventual knee replacement. Maybe new procedures can place a piece of teflon or cavour menicus stapled in, that I have not looked up. But the ligaments are rarely operated on.

FYI - Total re-construction of knee = 10 months with rehab. All ligaments torn or detached and stapled back in.

I had 50 percent loss of my meniscus and an ACL replacement. Part of my patella tendon was grafted intk where my ACL was.  Was in rehab less than 12 hours after surgery.  Someone mentioned a PCL injury.  Not an issue for a hockey player, you can wear a brace and play for years with a complete PCL tear.  Yzerman did.  

As for me wasn't cleared to play rugby again until the following season, 8 months later.  Tore my hamstring first game back.... sucked.  Still came back after that, but I eventually moved on.  

Our experience is anecdotal, OJ's situation is unique to him, his injury may or may not follow the expected path.  It's not uniform.  We also don't know if there were other issues, like his back hadn't fully healed or that he was over training and has other associated injuries.  

Whatever the reason, 'load management' is normal for alot of folks.  Easing him back in and ramping up his minutes based on pain free use of the repaired knee is sound and good practice.  

No sense in rushing him back and causing another injury.  

Heck OJ just finished growing.  He was a late bloomer physically.  

Let's all be patient and now with improved depth, there is no need to rush him.  So time in Utica with increased reps is a good thing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I just really feel for the guy.  I’m sure his goal was to make the team in camp and his knee never gave him the chance.

Guy hadn't played a kind of meaningful full contact game in LONG time since his major injury.  Unrealistic to have that kind of goal.  Will take a while for him to get into proper shape.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

13 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Interesting comment, thanks, but just for clarity I think you may mean 'cadaver' meniscus?

On 9/22/2019 at 10:24 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

I was reading about Risto and seeing if they ever played together, when I came across this from 2016 (Yes we are still waiting in 2019) ;(

I find it interesting to see what was said way back when

Vancouver Canucks D Olli Juolevi Wasn’t Majority of Fans First Choice, But There’s Still Reason for Excitement

Many Vancouver Canucks fans left the NHL Draft with a sour taste in their mouth following the selection of Finnish D Olli Juolevi. It was largely due to the fact that Matthew Tkachuk, son of former NHLer Keith Tkachuk was still on the board and projected by many as the next top prospect available.

It would have undoubtedly been a solid fit for the Canucks to add a gritty, skilled forward with All-Star potential. After all, we had Matthew Tkachuk being selected by Vancouver over the final few months of our mock drafts.

We also had Edmonton taking Olli Juolevi at fourth overall. Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli also suggested the team was looking at defense until Jesse Puljujarvi fell into their lap. That means both Edmonton and Vancouver also had Olli Juolevi ranked number four. 

In fact, any team that was doing its job properly scouting had a similar draft board. Vancouver Canucks D Olli Juolevi was hands down the next best prospect behind “the big three”.

Had the Blue Jackets drafted BAP (best available player), Vancouver would have been in line to take Matthew Tkachuk.

As you can see in the video below, Olli Juolevi is out to prove something at Canucks Development Camp, and is hoping to make a big impression at the prospects tournament.

The big 6’3 Finn is an excellent two-way defender. He isn’t known for being flashy, not normally standing out, but he goes about his business effectively. Juolevi has that ability to rack up a pair of assists on the score sheet without even recognizing he was on the ice. While he seldom stands out, the biggest takeaway should be the fact that he rarely makes defensive mistakes. 

Many scouts compare Vancouver Canucks D Olli Juolevi to Pittsburgh’s Olli Maatta. While a fair comparison, Juolevi is more of a cross between Maatta and Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen. When you compare the three above at 18-years-old, Olli Juolevi’s game is more complete, with poise and maturity.

Most predict that Juolevi stands little chance of cracking the Canucks roster this Fall. While the odds are stacked against him – especially given Vancouver’s added defensive depth with Erik Gudbranson – don’t count out the possibility that Olli Juolevi starts next season with the Canucks.

His overall game is years ahead in development, he has the size to stack up, and some of his best traits are the way he sees/thinks the game – said to be the toughest adjustment to make decisions a split second quicker at the NHL level.

So for those Vancouver fans who are upset over passing on Matthew Tkachuk, your feelings are justified. He should be a top-six star for the Calgary Flames. Just don’t sell yourself short on Olli Juolevi. If you think the Canucks made a mistake taking the young Finn, it shouldn’t take much time to prove those doubters wrong.

Give GM Jim Benning credit (something we don’t a lot of around here), he managed to get his hands on a future no.1 defenseman. Juolevi could be one of the best defensive Finnish prospects since Teppo Numminen.

We're into his draft +4 year...Juolevi is no closer to making the Canucks than he was in 2016...We will see how it goes in Utica this season, we won't have to wait long to see how it all pans out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

This part is funny, how they came to this conclusion all based off the writers own poor speculation.  

Oilers publicly stated sergachev was the D they were going to take. That means joulevi was not ranked number 4. 

Canucks also had Dubois as there number 4, not joulevi. A player they were hoping would fall to them had oilers ended up picking a defense.  

This idea that joulevi was the “Next best after #3” is erroneous. It would be had to find a scouting service that had Joulevi in the top 4 at the final rankings.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

I don’t know who wrote this piece but clearly their hockey “expertise” shouldn’t be taken seriously. 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:54 AM, canuktravella said:

i played soccer 2.5 weeks later that was 24 yrs ago  my knees fine. my other knee they did surgery 2 yrs ago is nt as good think surgeon messed it up

I'm going to suggest that the surgery they did two years ago was probably fine, you however were 22 years older.

Age can effect outcome.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

I'm going to suggest that the surgery they did two years ago was probably fine, you however were 22 years older.

Age can effect outcome.

ya plus they took a bit of meniscus out this time and not the whole thing  lije they did when i was 18 my  knee  from 94-95 is 90percent as good as before. my other knee  is ok but not 90 percent 

5 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

We're into his draft +4 year...Juolevi is no closer to making the Canucks than he was in 2016...We will see how it goes in Utica this season, we won't have to wait long to see how it all pans out.

The thing that hurts is, that he hasn't been able to develop and grow and play hockey in all those years it seems as well   :(

• Wat 1

Joulevi is going to turn some heads this year.  Super excited to see him on the ice.  He is a big, smart D who can skate very well.  He will be a regular on the Canucks by the new year , and in our top 4 to start next season.  He's had some bad luck along the way, but will be well worth the wait.

• Cheers 4
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Joulevi is going to turn some heads this year.  Super excited to see him on the ice.  He is a big, smart D who can skate very well.  He will be a regular on the Canucks by the new year , and in our top 4 to start next season.  He's had some bad luck along the way, but will be well worth the wait.

I really want to see who this kid really is.

it sucks having our farm team so far away.

• Upvote 1