The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

30 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Heinola playing in the NHL right after his draft year is amazing. He's going to be an awesome dman for the jets.  Even if OJ had never had a single injury, he probably wouldn't have made the NHL until d+3. 

Juolevi actually was injury free and had the same opportunity to make the team in his draft +1 and draft +2 years. The start of his draft +3 year is where the injury card could be played. 

6 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Juolevi actually was injury free and had the same opportunity to make the team in his draft +1 and draft +2 years. The start of his draft +3 year is where the injury card could be played. 

Pretty sure he had an injury during the Liiga season as he only played 38 games.  I recall something about a back injury?  I can't remember when it happenned, but there was something about his offseason being hampered and that he wasn't ready to play a the starting of the Liiga season.  Maybe someone else remembers the timeline.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Where would you slot OJ in the depth chart as of today?

Edler, Hughes, Benn, Fatenberg, Sautner. Tryamkin, Brisbois, Utunen, Rathbone, Teves

I think being a high draft pick and if he does well in Utica, he may be the 1st call up, if any of these starters get hurt

I think if Tree was here already, OJ may be the 2nd choice?

Tree already mentioned that maybe there won't be a spot for him before

It isn't always the most talent that stays up, It is who will be a good fit with the Right side dman too

Depends if they want speed, size or skill etc

I personally am ok with OJ developing on the farm (He has only played 23 games in all his time since being drafted)?

He has spent more time rehabbing than developing since picked, and hard to say how he will be in the NHL until he plays

Have him come up during injuries, so he can see first hand what he needs to work on when he goes back down

I don't like keeping young players in the pressbox instead of playing lots of minutes (Why was Gaudette sitting in all those games lumped together)?

Surely top minutes in Utica is better for him now I would think?

They could still make trades for left side dmen with some forwards

He needn't worry about the younger dmen…….. yet

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Where would you slot OJ in the depth chart as of today?

Edler, Hughes, Benn, Fatenberg, Sautner. Tryamkin, Brisbois, Utunen, Rathbone, Teves

I think being a high draft pick and if he does well in Utica, he may be the 1st call up, if any of these starters get hurt

I think if Tree was here already, OJ may be the 2nd choice?

Tree already mentioned that maybe there won't be a spot for him before

It isn't always the most talent that stays up, It is who will be a good fit with the Right side dman too

Depends if they want speed, size or skill etc

I personally am ok with OJ developing on the farm (He has only played 23 games in all his time since being drafted)?

He has spent more time rehabbing than developing since picked, and hard to say how he will be in the NHL until he plays

Have him come up during injuries, so he can see first hand what he needs to work on when he goes back down

I don't like keeping young players in the pressbox instead of playing lots of minutes (Why was Gaudette sitting in all those games lumped together)?

Surely top minutes in Utica is better for him now I would think?

They could still make trades for left side dmen with some forwards

He needn't worry about the younger dmen…….. yet

I think he has a 2 year trajectory of becoming a full time NHLer. It seems like they might speculate it sometime next year possibly.

That's how long we have both Benn and Edler for. Gives us a pretty good stop gap.

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Heinola was 2 years younger than Juolevi was when he posted those number (draft year vs. draft +2 year).

Agreed.  That's not in question.  Just correcting the totals cause when I read 5th's post I thought they both had 19 points in 38 games.  

Just correcting the record and Ville could be a better player than Heskinen.  

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think he has a 2 year trajectory of becoming a full time NHLer. It seems like they might speculate it sometime next year possibly.

That's how long we have both Benn and Edler for. Gives us a pretty good stop gap.

Agreed.  

IMO OJ needs a stable environment  and reps.  He has that and a clear window to join a up and coming team at the perfect time.  

As for Trymakin, he adds depth in what could be a playoff bound team that will have walking wounded in the line up.  

ATM the team has decent depth but we also have expiring contracts.  Tanev is expiring and JB keeps him if we are in the hunt.  Think about adding a 6'7 260lbs d man with good mobility at the TDL without surrending an asset.  

Trymakin plays either side and easily slots into a vacant RHD spot next season.  As for the end of this year, injuries and roster moves can change the picture at any moment.  

I don't see any scenario in which Tanev is resigned going into an expansion draft.  

Adding Trymakin also makes players like Stecher easier to move.  Stecher and a 3rd pick could be enough to get someone to take Eriksson.  

On 10/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

Only that +/- are not counted on pk or pp

Also, the two offensive players you mentioned, always get the offensive zone starts, being the best players available to score

The PK minutes are tough minutes and you don't get a chance to get a plus coming after the kill like the other defensemen.  Risto and Daughty are the best defensemen on their teams.  The fact that they had the worst +/- doesn't change that.  

I mean look at the Canucks last year, Gudbranbsen and Hutton had the two worst +/- and Edler and Tanev tied for the best.  Doh!  Bad example.  :) 

It is pretty clear OJ is no Rasmus Dahlin (age 19) so in that sense Juollevi (21) is a disappointment whether because of injuries or he just isn't good enough.  But then again who else is in Dahlin's category?  Not many, and we sorely need D in the pipeline.  I think it is hard to say right now whether OJ will justify the high pick but he has some great attributes and on Saturday he lazered a stretch pass that lead to a goal that probably made Jim Benning's heart skip a beat.  

Edited by hobart16

15 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

The PK minutes are tough minutes and you don't get a chance to get a plus coming after the kill like the other defensemen.  Risto and Daughty are the best defensemen on their teams.  The fact that they had the worst +/- doesn't change that.  

I mean look at the Canucks last year, Gudbranbsen and Hutton had the two worst +/- and Edler and Tanev tied for the best.  Doh!  Bad example.  :) 

It is pretty clear OJ is no Rasmus Dahlin (age 19) so in that sense Juollevi (21) is a disappointment whether because of injuries or he just isn't good enough.  But then again who else is in Dahlin's category?  Not many, and we sorely need D in the pipeline.  I think it is hard to say right now whether OJ will justify the high pick but he has some great attributes and on Saturday he lazered a stretch pass that lead to a goal that probably made Jim Benning's heart skip a beat.  

I don't think t is fair to say OJ is a disappointment. 

7 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I don't think t is fair to say OJ is a disappointment. 

Yeah I agree 100%, I think it is only if you cherry pick and compare him to some other early picks.  We need d men and he was a good choice that year for a blue liner.  

He had some bad luck with the injury.  I think by the end of this year in Utica we will see what he really has (if he can stay healthy). Definitely taking a step forward this year already.  

Edited by hobart16
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks didn't have any high end D propsects in their system when Juolevi was picked, other than Tryamkin, who ended up bolting back to Russia. Benning wanted to get the best Dman available at that Draft, and with the great WJC tournament Juolevi had with Finland, it was hoped he would improve the Canucks down the road. Keep in mind, Juolevi was ranked higher than McAvoy and Sergachev that year. But, Juolevi has had a string of bad injury luck, slowing his progress to develop properly. Can't blame Benning or anyone for this. I still really like this D depth:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Fantenberg - Rafferty

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Teves - Chatfield

Rathbone - Woo

Utunen - Eliot

The best D that year ( 2016)was Sergachev &  McAvoy with Chychrun  a close third

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1