The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Isn't Pod struggling in the Russian minors?

He has quite a lot to figure out before being a star at the NHL level anytime soon I would think

We have guys ahead of him at the moment

He's struggling in the KHL, which is common for an 18yr old.  So far he has 7pts in 12 games with his VHL team (not a Jr team).  I wouldn't say he's struggling.  He's only played 12/20 games on this team, due to being shuffled around to the other teams. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I wonder if Canucks give Juolevi a shot if Hughes stays out.  Fantenberg/ Sautner are safer choices but what we're really going to miss is Hughes' breakout ability.  Those two can't help with that but Juolevi can.  He's got his timing and conditioning back in the AHL, and he could be a good fit with Tanev.  Or move Benn up and a Stecher - Juolevi bottom pairing could work. 

Edited by GoldenAlien

11 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Isn't Pod struggling in the Russian minors?

He has quite a lot to figure out before being a star at the NHL level anytime soon I would think

We have guys ahead of him at the moment

I dont think hell be a star.  I think hell be a solid callahan type

On 10/31/2019 at 11:05 AM, Darius said:

I see he picked up another point last night and was +2.

If this kid can eventually step into a top 4 as a solid D with slick transition skills, and any combo of Woo, Podz, Lind, Madden hit how good do we look for the next 5 - 7 years....

Not a scout but im pretty sure Podz will be a hit. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/2/2019 at 6:06 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

Jack Rathbone says hi - he might take the second unit pp. Still love Juolevi though, better every game, no longer walked on the outside, and much more physically engaged - reminds me of the young Edler before all of his injuries. If he can take Edler’s place in a year or two, I’ll be a happy camper.

Rathbone - Hughes will be amazing.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

How do you think EP would do playing with Beagle and LE on a line? 

Weird question.

But he would probably turn Beagle into a 20 goal guy even though Beagle has only ever scored 13 at most, but his average was around 6 goals per year. LE....well he would still suck!

:ph34r:

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Weird question.

But he would probably turn Beagle into a 20 goal guy even though Beagle has only ever scored 13 at most, but his average was around 6 goals per year. LE....well he would still suck!

:ph34r:

Not an odd question, they were saying podkolzin wasn’t going to be good, I said he was playing with low offensive talent linemates

• Cheers 1

I think the Canucks are going to take it very slowly with Juolevi. Last season was barely a season, he'll probably spend this entire year in the AHL and maybe even half of next year. We've got such a solid top-4 now and some very decent bottom guys, it looks like Rafferty might even get a call up before Juolevi so he's probably the 3rd or realistically 4th call-up at the moment. We'd have to have some shocking injuries for Juolevi to get a Canucks game this season and I think that's the right move.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, khay said:

We made exact same post but you did it 23 hours before me :)

2011: Ryan Strome over Zibanejad and Scheifele. I remember Scheifele was actually a bit of a gamble pick by the Jets (could be wrong with this).

Correct about Scheifele, many (including me) were disappointed they didn't draft Couturier who went to the Flyers shortly (right?) after.