The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

8 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

He's a bust. Unfortunately couldn't even manage to play a NHL game 4 seasons after being drafted. Passing on Tkachuk will go down as a Kopitar level miss.

Hopefully someone like Rathbone who I'm high on can develop into a top 4 d-man.

Did you ever even watch bourdon play? Or are you to young for that 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB said it’s not related to the recent surgically repaired knee.  My money is it’s his other knee that’s injured now.  Love OJ’s size and skill, but seriously doubt he ever plays for us.  

Yeah, I moved my hopes for next good Canuck defender to Rathbone last year. I also like Teves and Rafferty - Rafferty for his all round play (Utica’s top D scorer), Teves for his strong defence.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I feel like he is the next Chris Tanev in the making

if he becomes a Chris tanev I'm sure 98% of us will take it.

what pisses me off right now is that they refuse to disclose the injury like they are hiding something.  Hire new doctors if they don't know what the &^@# they are talking about!

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

if he becomes a Chris tanev I'm sure 98% of us will take it.

what pisses me off right now is that they refuse to disclose the injury like they are hiding something.  Hire new doctors if they don't know what the &^@# they are talking about!

I think it's a bit premature to get worked up over the lack of knowledge about the injury. If they're bringing him back to Vancouver for further evaluation it's most likely so they can learn the full extent of the injury which will require extensive testing. My guess is once they know more we'll know more.

14 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

The problem with that pick is it wasn't a swing. Many of us wanted a swing, JB probably couldn't have missed if he'd actually taken a swing. What we got was a safe bunt from a GM that hadn't proven much at the time and was really needing a win. OJ was dubbed a safe pick likely to have a long career. It just so happened to be exactly the time to not play it safe. This was at a time when the organization hadn't seen a fast skating, dynamic elite talent in a very long time.

It was a fundamental difference of the kind of hockey many of us wanted to see. In JB's defence, he has yet to play it safe again and obviously we all know how he answered back the very next year with EP40 mic drop.

I'm not writing OJ off, but he also can't be looked at as a sure thing anymore. Injuries matter.

What are you talking about? Joelevi was projected to be a number 2 dman. We desperately needed Dman. Taking a dman so early in the draft is a huge risk. After the next year he was projected to be a top 4 dman. There was absolutely nothing safe about this pick. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I was thinking the same thing. Our crop of young defenders is significantly weaker than our crop of young forwards. We have a bunch of young defenders that are close to NHL ready in Utica, but none that look like they could make a significant impact if Juolevi continues down this path. 

The question is which one of our young forwards would you want to trade? It would need to be someone with value if we want a good defenseman back. 

I have no one in mind, no one likes to trade away young unproven developing players but, just thinking as you, that we might have a similar forward with upswing and another team has a similar defenceman with upswing, and both would like to make a positional player change,, that maybe now it, may be the time to consider making that move if possible

16 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I was thinking the same thing. Our crop of young defenders is significantly weaker than our crop of young forwards. We have a bunch of young defenders that are close to NHL ready in Utica, but none that look like they could make a significant impact if Juolevi continues down this path. 

The question is which one of our young forwards would you want to trade? It would need to be someone with value if we want a good defenseman back. 

Rathbone, Tryamkin, Woo and Juolevi will all be NHL D. if there health holds up...Rathbone and Juolevi will be top 4 and the other 2 not far behind.

I don't think we are too bad off and wouldn't trade a high end forward prospect for a maybe D prospect....

Unless this is a season ending injury like the one last year, I see no reason to panic. 

If anything, I hope this injury closes the door on the idea of trading Stetcher. The guy is tenacious, steady and more importantly young enough that he'll be in good condition as the Canucks window for contending continues to open. 

In terms of the wider discussion about the draft, I think it shows that Benning doesn't really fair too well when he doesn't get the guy that he initially sets his sights on. In 2016, it was pretty common knowledge that the Canucks were targeting Dubois at 5 this year. In 2014, I think it's also pretty common knowledge that the Canucks wanted to trade up for the #2 pick for Sam Reinhart.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rathbone, Tryamkin, Woo and Juolevi will all be NHL D. if there health holds up...Rathbone and Juolevi will be top 4 and the other 2 not far behind.

I don't think we are too bad off and wouldn't trade a high end forward prospect for a maybe D prospect....

Rathbone and Woo are doing well.

Juolevi cannot get healthy so who knows if he ever makes it at this point.

Tryamkin is 25 years old and is not a prospect in any sense of the word.

We need more D prospects.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

Unless this is a season ending injury like the one last year, I see no reason to panic. 

If anything, I hope this injury closes the door on the idea of trading Stetcher. The guy is tenacious, steady and more importantly young enough that he'll be in good condition as the Canucks window for contending continues to open. 

In terms of the wider discussion about the draft, I think it shows that Benning doesn't really fair too well when he doesn't get the guy that he initially sets his sights on. In 2016, it was pretty common knowledge that the Canucks were targeting Dubois at 5 this year. In 2014, I think it's also pretty common knowledge that the Canucks wanted to trade up for the #2 pick for Sam Reinhart.

Trading Stecher and replacing him with OJ door was never open..

If anything an upgrade on Stecher. Or upgrade with another 3rd pair D added to the roster is coming at trade deadline if we are in mix for playoffs. 

It looks more and more like OJ is one of those extremely unlucky prospects that will never get a taste of the big league due to various factors. Who knows how good he can be if not for the injuries? I thought the Canucks coaches could’ve forced the issue at season’s start to keep OJ and let him be the 7th guy here but that boat had sailed. Just give the guy a game, it’s just so sad right now what is happening to OJ