The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

12 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

It looks more and more like OJ is one of those extremely unlucky prospects that will never get a taste of the big league due to various factors. Who knows how good he can be if not for the injuries? I thought the Canucks coaches could’ve forced the issue at season’s start to keep OJ and let him be the 7th guy here but that boat had sailed. Just give the guy a game, it’s just so sad right now what is happening to OJ

We also had a top D prospect die on us....

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Good thing we didn't draft a single one last year

We did sign Teves and Rafferty that year with Hughes and Woo the draft prior with guys like Saunter and Brisebois in the AHL. Utunen and Rathbone outside the AHL

Nothing high end besides Juolevi whose been hit by the injury bug but possible to get a top 4 defenseman out of the group we have.

We got a good, not great, prospect pool overall. Much improved since Benning early tenure.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Sorry when I hear Tram's agent say 50/50 for him playing in Vancouver, I'm just going to assume with Vancouver luck he isn't going to play here, but lets see how that works out.

- Rafferty has 9 points in 16 games in the AHL, and we got him for nothing.

- Teves seems to be a steady, stay at home d-man. Points isn't his forte but he's leading the team in +/- at +10. All a free prospect. 

- Rathbone has 7 points in 5 games for Harvard.

- Jett Woo has 9 points in 19 games for the Hitmen. 

We also have Toni Utunen as well in the pipeline. 

Woo and Rafferty are both Right handed d-men. Add to the fact we got Stecher for nothing, and have gotten almost 4 seasons from him. And Hughes is a home run. 

It is kinda sad that Will Lockwood might be the only guy to play from the 2016 draft. Pretty much our best defensive pipeline seems to be from the NCAA lately. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sorry when I hear Tram's agent say 50/50 for him playing in Vancouver, I'm just going to assume with Vancouver luck he isn't going to play here, but lets see how that works out.

What's this now? Tweet? Link?

On 11/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, Honky Cat said:

Sometimes ,an NHL career isn't in the cards for some players...Its best to pretend that the 2016 draft didn't happen...I have zero expectations at this point as well.

Feel bad for him..cant catch a break.

Looks like the franchise rest's on Will Lockwoods shoulders now.

• Haha 2

Why are people writing off a 21 year old just because he has had bad luck with injuries...that can change, he can actually get healthy and even if it takes another year or even 2 he will still be a 22 or 23 year old D man the same age as Stecher was or Rathbone will be when they make/made the team...

I would think his chances of been a bust are all due to his latest/longest setback but I doubt that puts it up to even 20% chance of bust...people heal...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Why are people writing off a 21 year old just because he has had bad luck with injuries...that can change, he can actually get healthy and even if it takes another year or even 2 he will still be a 22 or 23 year old D man the same age as Stecher was or Rathbone will be when they make/made the team...

I would think his chances of been a bust are all due to his latest/longest setback but I doubt that puts it up to even 20% chance of bust...people heal...

While I agree it's premature to write him off, he NEEDS this development time and that is likely what is fueling concern about his possible future.

He should have the equivalent of three going on four years of post draft development and he's sitting at roughly 1.5-2, broken, sporadic, less than 100% (injured or recovering from injury) years. If he can't get and stay relatively healthy, that's going to become a problem.

He still has all the tools, but without development time, it's possible he stagnates and get passed. Here's hoping he can pull up and out of this injury tailspin.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/09/29/is-nikita-tryamkin-coming-back-and-if-so-when/

Misread. It's a tweet saying better than 50%. But I'm just expecting the worst, and hoping for the best.

This sounds great!  Love to have the Big Guy back this spring, after his season is done over there.  We could use him for our playoff run!!!

If Juolevi becomes an impact player for us, it will be found gold. A second pairing, puck-moving defenseman with a bit of size and can play on special teams is still a valuable piece to any cup-contending team. Will Juolevi be that? That's anybody's guess but IMO he still has that ceiling despite the now ongoing injury trouble. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

What's this now? Tweet? Link?

Really, it does seem to contradict everything we have heard from all the parties for the last couple of years. Wasn't the last we heard from his agent an expectation that negotiations with the Canucks should be pretty quick?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

If Juolevi becomes an impact player for us, it will be found gold. A second pairing, puck-moving defenseman with a bit of size and can play on special teams is still a valuable piece to any cup-contending team. Will Juolevi be that? That's anybody's guess but IMO he still has that ceiling despite the now ongoing injury trouble. 

Sorry to say OJ is a bustaroo.  Guy is a loser and is never going to be much.  Rathbone will be the guy who makes us forget the loser OJ.  You do realize we could have frayed Tkapuke right?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sorry to say OJ is a bustaroo.  Guy is a loser and is never going to be much.  Rathbone will be the guy who makes us forget the loser OJ.  You do realize we could have frayed Tkapuke right?

You win some, you lose some. Such is the art of drafting. I remember I was shocked when JB didn't pick Tkachuk. I remember I was also shocked when JB didn't pick Glass or Vilardi the following year. 

I do agree with you that Rathbone will "make us forget about OJ" -- as bad as that sounds.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

People need to remember that this wasn't a bad pick. Just very unfortunate injury trouble that should not look bad on Juolevi or Benning.

Keep your hopes up guys. If Juolevi ever does work his way out of this injury bug we still could have a top 4D.

I dunno, I didn’t mind the pick. Was supposed to be a safe pick over Tkachuk and Sergachev. Guys I personally wanted. But it’s over and done with. I just hope he gets healthy and can play in the NHL at all.