The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

47 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'm sure if you went even just to 6th overall for each of those, we would see OJ's name a handful of times. It wasn't that much of a reach. MT must've been like slightly better, and the Canucks went with the organizational need. Sure, at 5th overall it might not always be the right move. Then again, not having MT and other people like Nylander/Ehlers, Pastrnak etc... and all our other draft misses, also allowed us to be bad enough to nab EP at 5th OA and Hughes at 7th. I'll take those losses for the wins we eventually got. Because to be honest, I'd rather have Juolevi and Pettersson than Tkachuk and whoever else we would have had to pick instead of EP. 

On the plus note, OJ is far from a bust and will eventually become an NHL calibre dman. He will be found gold now that the entire hope of the fanbase isn't solely on his shoulders, much like it was in 2016. We have Hughes, Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone and company to help us out. 

Hence why many say you should never draft based on need.  Always BPA unless the difference is negligible (eg. Tavares vs Hedman; Stamkos vs Doughty).  

That's why teams trade down if the player they want will most likely not be taken that early.  

27 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Hence why many say you should never draft based on need.  Always BPA unless the difference is negligible (eg. Tavares vs Hedman; Stamkos vs Doughty).  

That's why teams trade down if the player they want will most likely not be taken that early.  

how do you know he drafted based on need ?

anyways does anyone have an update on what is going on ? What is the injury ?

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

From the draft rankings, it's obvious that while OJ was battling for top defense prospect.... there were many other forwards more highly ranked than him.  

Almost every ranking has MT higher ranked than OJ.  

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with OJ... just unhappy with the cost to draft him.  

43 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

anyways does anyone have an update on what is going on ? What is the injury ?

It was just a given at the time. The Canucks had zero defensive prospects (I think Brisebois was our most enticing at the time) with top 4 potential. Benning had stated that entire year that his goal was to start acquiring dmen in the pool because of how our forward crop and goalie crop had taken strides. OJ at 5 was a "safe" pick, but MT had and still obviously has the higher potential. Vancouver drafted it's first dman in the first round since Bourdon, and many were very happy as we needed that blue chip dman. Times have changed, some see MT's success, some see OJ's potential. It's still very early but an interesting narrative nevertheless.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

That's how I like to look at it too. 

Only with a draft lottery, it's never set in stone where you draft, so it's a moot point to suggest because we drafted one player we wouldn't have got a later pick

If it was based on the old system of where you ended the year and get  picks based on how you finished in the standings, it makes sense

I do believe they drafted OJ because they were wanting a dman that year, and OJ was a safer pick than Serg perhaps?

At this point even I am taking a step back and wondering if OJ will ever play in the league.

He has all the tools and intelligence to be a star calibre defence man.

But

Injuries of this variety and this frequency can do more than hamper development, they can literally end careers before they ever get off the ground.

If that's the case so be it.  he's the only high pick Benning has missed on then.  Nothing could be done about it.  Much like Bourdon, we never knew what he was capable of.  With OJ it's more frustrating because we can see him.  He's tangible.  But he might never make it.

It is as they say what it is.  If he pans out that's great.  if injures have derailed his career that's a bummer.  But as of right now it does not look good and that is inarguable by even the loudest homers.  It doesn't mean, for the anti OJ/Benning crowd; that OJ was a bad pick.  it only means he might never get a chance to show us

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

OJ blocked two shots on the same PK but the one that really had him in pain got him in the arm just above the glove.  He stayed out there basically playing with one arm and blocked another slapper but I think that one was absorbed off the shin guard.  He stayed on the bench for a few minutes holding his arm in pain and then left for the dressing room.  He did come back out for the third period however and looked fine playing the rest of the game but missed the next game before JB announced he was going back to Vancouver.  I don't think the blocked shot had anything to do with the latest "lower body" injury.

My guess is the Canucks are being over protective with OJ, He had been playing well to this point, and perhaps JB doesn’t want him getting too “down” about another set back.

Hopefully it’s not too serious.

He is in better hands in Vancouver for recovery and rehab,.  Who knows, maybe he gets a “nod” here before he returns to Utica in the process.

26 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

My guess is the Canucks are being over protective with OJ, He had been playing well to this point, and perhaps JB doesn’t want him getting too “down” about another set back.

Hopefully it’s not too serious.

He is in better hands in Vancouver for recovery and rehab,.  Who knows, maybe he gets a “nod” here before he returns to Utica in the process.

Why are the Canucks being so secretive about OJ's most recent injury?  JB said it's not the recently operated on knee, but it's a lower body injury.  I say it's the other knee.  We have no reason not to suggest that, right?  JB said nothing to stop us from thinking it's the healthy knee that is now in need for repair.  Just let the fans know!  And the GM wonders why some fans refuse to support the team financially by buying tickets, and merchandise.  Don't lie to the fans.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

At this point even I am taking a step back and wondering if OJ will ever play in the league.

He has all the tools and intelligence to be a star calibre defence man.

But

Injuries of this variety and this frequency can do more than hamper development, they can literally end careers before they ever get off the ground.

If that's the case so be it.  he's the only high pick Benning has missed on then.  Nothing could be done about it.  Much like Bourdon, we never knew what he was capable of.  With OJ it's more frustrating because we can see him.  He's tangible.  But he might never make it.

It is as they say what it is.  If he pans out that's great.  if injures have derailed his career that's a bummer.  But as of right now it does not look good and that is inarguable by even the loudest homers.  It doesn't mean, for the anti OJ/Benning crowd; that OJ was a bad pick.  it only means he might never get a chance to show us

I have to agree with this. Got NHL talent but with this many serious injuries and so many setbacks, he may never make it. 

Who knows, he could pull a Jordan Binnington, make the NHL at age 25 and almost win the rookie of the year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, khay said:

I have to agree with this. Got NHL talent but with this many serious injuries and so many setbacks, he may never make it. 

Who knows, he could pull a Jordan Binnington, make the NHL at age 25 and almost win the rookie of the year. 

Was Jiordano much of a player when in his early 20's?  Most D don't really start to show how good they really are until they're 24 or 25 anyway.  It's only the rare exceptions that are super good in their early 20's.  I noticed the Buffalo coach benched Rasmus Dhalin last game. He parked him on the bench, and let him sit.  And Dhalin is clearly going to be a great player.  There is no reason why we shouldn't wait and see what OJ is like as a player in a couple years.  He certainly could still grow into a beauty.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was Jiordano much of a player when in his early 20's?  Most D don't really start to show how good they really are until they're 24 or 25 anyway.  It's only the rare exceptions that are super good in their early 20's.  I noticed the Buffalo coach benched Rasmus Dhalin last game. He parked him on the bench, and let him sit.  And Dhalin is clearly going to be a great player.  There is no reason why we shouldn't wait and see what OJ is like as a player in a couple years.  He certainly could still grow into a beauty.  

Right Gio wasn't much of a player until he was 25. He did make the NHL when he was 22-23. Olli certainly has some time to work through the injuries and hopefully whatever is bothering him isn't season ending... because that would be devastating especially if it's a new injury as JB said in the statement. $hit he already has a back problem, knee problem, and yet another season ending injury? I don't know if he can contend with another severe injury...

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why are the Canucks being so secretive about OJ's most recent injury?  JB said it's not the recently operated on knee, but it's a lower body injury.  I say it's the other knee.  We have no reason not to suggest that, right?  JB said nothing to stop us from thinking it's the healthy knee that is now in need for repair.  Just let the fans know!  And the GM wonders why some fans refuse to support the team financially by buying tickets, and merchandise.  Don't lie to the fans.  

Alf, @UticaHockey quoted the following, which has me thinking otherwise.

OJ blocked two shots on the same PK but the one that really had him in pain got him in the arm just above the glove.  He stayed out there basically playing with one arm and blocked another slapper but I think that one was absorbed off the shin guard.  He stayed on the bench for a few minutes holding his arm in pain and then left for the dressing room.  He did come back out for the third period however and looked fine playing the rest of the game but missed the next game before JB announced he was going back to Vancouver.  I don't think the blocked shot had anything to do with the latest "lower body" injury.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

With Hughes getting a Calder nomination this year and Hoglander next year, OJ has two more seasons to recover and keep that Calder run going in three.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

Right Gio wasn't much of a player until he was 25. He did make the NHL when he was 22-23. Olli certainly has some time to work through the injuries and hopefully whatever is bothering him isn't season ending... because that would be devastating especially if it's a new injury as JB said in the statement. $hit he already has a back problem, knee problem, and yet another season ending injury? I don't know if he can contend with another severe injury...

Gio is not really the norm, I'm pretty sure he went undrafted and won the Norris trophy at 35 years old.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I was just about to post this exactly.  Its been how long now with absolutely zero updates? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Alf, @UticaHockey quoted the following, which has me thinking otherwise.

OJ blocked two shots on the same PK but the one that really had him in pain got him in the arm just above the glove.  He stayed out there basically playing with one arm and blocked another slapper but I think that one was absorbed off the shin guard.  He stayed on the bench for a few minutes holding his arm in pain and then left for the dressing room.  He did come back out for the third period however and looked fine playing the rest of the game but missed the next game before JB announced he was going back to Vancouver.  I don't think the blocked shot had anything to do with the latest "lower body" injury.

Blocked shot fractured his tibia?