The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Why does MT even come  up in this thread? He was never an option. Ever. From my memory, MT said himself that he didn't even have an interview with the Canucks that draft. They clearly didn't like the kids character. Rightfully so. OJ has been an unlucky pick so far with his injuries, we can discuss this. But the MT vs OJ should not even be a conversation because this team was never going to pick MT with his character issues.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Why does MT even come  up in this thread? He was never an option. Ever. From my memory, MT said himself that he didn't even have an interview with the Canucks that draft. They clearly didn't like the kids character. Rightfully so. OJ has been an unlucky pick so far with his injuries, we can discuss this. But the MT vs OJ should not even be a conversation because this team was never going to pick MT with his character issues.

Pretty sure they interviewed him, but he did say he felt they weren't particularly interested.  We may never know, but if there were say some concerns with Juolevi like injuries, they may well have had Sergachev next in the order.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Canucks need to move on from Juolevi as they still have Rathbone, Woo and Brisebois in their organization and Should try to package Juolevi with a forward prospect to help the Canucks get a scoring winger. 

You don’t think other teams know his injury history. He is a severely diminished asset. 
Best thing at this point is hope he gets healthy and can be a player. Teams aren’t going to be giving away assets for a player with no NHL record and such a strong injury history. 

9 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Pretty sure they interviewed him, but he did say he felt they weren't particularly interested.  We may never know, but if there were say some concerns with Juolevi like injuries, they may well have had Sergachev next in the order.

good to know, I thought I remembered him saying there was a handful of teams who didn't interview him, and we were one of them. I have a terrible memory  though.

it can also be said Blue Jackets screwed up Canucks plans as Pierre-Luc Dubois was said to be Jimbos #1 choice.

Starting a rebuilding Canucks can’t start it with two years of Picking Wingers.

Remember Canucks drafted Jake V the draft before who is a Winger. The next Draft Jimbo needed to build the Canucks for the future. Picking a winger was NOT an option which many blind posters here Have BS thoughts with Hindsight saying picking a Winger was an option. 

Now my thoughts which don’t really matter about the winger CDC posters obsess about.

Tkachuks Dad I hugely disliked as a person and as a cocky player so I wasn’t high on either the sons...F’ the Tkachuks they’re Pricks....no chance in hell I wanted a Tkachuk on the team or locker room.  It’s a Character flaw Tkachuks in my mind had and would be a locker room cancer and that’s not what I wanted starting a rebuild team.

Now I actually like Brady he seems like a funny guy with character ever since I saw him dancin for the kid and I heard the Hughes grew up with him and Quinn really likes him. Mathew I’m not to sure about I kinda see his Prick Dad too much in him. 

Draft Jimbo wanted a future #1 Center Dubois that was plan A.

plan B best Dman.

Go Canucks Go

also is MT a cancer look at the flames now.

Edited by HockeyHarry

Kid hasn’t stayed healthy since he got picked. He was A bad pick. If you can’t see it you need to remove the homer vision jb himself  wouldn’t make that pick again. he hasn’t played in the nhl yet and it possible he never will. 

This kid oops,  he’s not a kid anymore  and he’s got bust written all over him. 

MT was the best player available  then and now.

19 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Now you are just being ridiculous.  MT is a good player so no need to try to start calling him no good just because the Canucks don't have him.  That is just stupid.

Edit: holy cow....some posters here are OBSESSED with Matthew Tkachuk to the point where they need to start saying he is not a good player lol. He is 36th in the league in scoring and is a pain in the arse to play against. I get that some posters don't want to keep hearing the Tkachuk vs Juolevi thing but you don't need to start being dumb and saying MT is no good when clearly he is a top line player in the NHL. Grow up.  :picard:

am I? Tkachuk is a playoff no-show. Prove me wrong. 

• Haha 2

I don't want to go back into the pick, but this is how it was.

Tkachuk was across the board a consensus top 5 pick. Juolevi was ranked from 6-11, many/most had him around #7 if you were to average it IIRC. So we did pass on a consensus top 5 pick, but Juolevi wasn't necessarily a big reach. Both those things can be correct. Juolevi profiled as a prototypical modern day high IQ PMD, lots of teams liked him. And if Dubois had fallen to 5th, we would've traded him for PK Subban. There, that's 2016 draft day as far as I'm concerned.

Onto Juolevi:

My initial thought was optimistic. Maybe other muscles were put through the paces, strained, 'ailing', exc. (whatever, I'm not a doctor) and because of how much time he's missed with both the back & knee they were going to take beyond every precaution, which is why they brought him to VAN. Its interesting we haven't heard anything yet but I'd expect some kind of update this week (I guess?). 

As for his future. Even with the time missed he's stepped into a top AHL role & played well. Really his biggest weakness right now is probably skating, which is to be expected with back & knee injuries right, but he's missed so much time it'll take work to get that back up to snuff. Everything else seems to be fine. He's better defensively/PKing & he's always had the offensive smarts. Its just not getting burned by fast players.

Until we know whats going on its hard to speculate, hopefully its more precautionary than something serious so he can get back to playing. He just needs to play. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fact 1: Matthew Tkachuk was a consensus Top-5 pick.

Fact 2: Olli Juolevi was not a consensus Top-5 pick.

Outside the top 3 prospects, which were Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi, it was heavily rumoured that Benning wanted Dubois, a potential #1C. With Benning drafting Juolevi over Tkachuk, that confirms the plan going into the draft was top 3 and if not, best centreman then best defenseman. That means one of two things: #1 - that according to the Canucks' list, Juolevi was clear BPA over Tkachuk, or #2 - that the difference between Juolevi and Tkachuk were negligible and that positional value was the tiebreaker. In either case, the Canuck list had Juolevi over Tkachuk. Why? Because it would not stand reason to pick Juolevi over Tkachuk if Tkachuk was clear BPA according to their list. BPA is subjective despite objective measures, and each armchair GM, each scout, each scouting service, and each team have their own parameters in identifying who goes where on their own list.