1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Yep, never liked the pick. Selected 5th O/A in the world and deplorable defensive skills and doesn't exactly shine as an offensive star either. This was a 5th O/A pick world wide … are you graspining that fact!, Servachek or McEvoy were far better choices then and now IMO to name but a couple. Good teams can't afford tp throw away top picks. A prime selection wasted. He might yet play but he's not going to be a dominant player.

That's a myth that has been debunked a couple of times. I guess mainly in this and the Virtanen thread.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Think if we had chosen Servachek or McEvoy the difference this would make to this current team.

I'd argue Rafferty is ahead of Juolevi already and from the reports I've read maybe Rathbone too

jon stewart smoking GIF

...but possibly no EP nor QH...

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

OK ::D Genuine mistake I thought his name was McEvoy. But in todays Politically correct world I suppose that's a death sentence. I'm guessing you're an elementary school teacher, can't step away from the job :lol:

Not sure what this has got to do with anything...  but, generally speaking, more accuracy and less arbitrariness in a discussion certainly doesn't hurt your credibility and persuasiveness.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm just trying to figure out,  is Ville Heinola a Liga legend, considering he put up the same points as Juolevi at 17 as opposed to 20.  It seems to be the go-to any time someone says something bad about OJ's game. 

And no I haven't always been against the pick.  I thought PLD was gonna be our guy and was happy with that.    

Man I really liked Heinola at the draft. Would've been happy if we took him at 10th overall and I would've rather had him than Podkolzin. 

His season was incredible and he got no real love from scouts, although a knee injury could have played a part in that. 

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The most successful team of the last decade, the Hawks, drafted Skille at 8 and a D man (I can't remember his name) at 3 while they were rebuilding.  It's okay to have misses, providing the hits compensate for those misses.  I think our hits are really good (Hughe's, Petey, Bess, Demko, etc.)  The core of elite young players is drafted (or traded for, but mostly drafted).  Ours looks really quite good, and we have a lot of young guys coming up soon too, who will supplement that young core.  We are in a good spot for now and the next decade.  

Cam Barker

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

As long as OJ is healthy, plays most games and gets better for each game I for one am happy 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm just trying to figure out,  is Ville Heinola a Liga legend, considering he put up the same points as Juolevi at 17 as opposed to 20.  It seems to be the go-to any time someone says something bad about OJ's game. 

And no I haven't always been against the pick.  I thought PLD was gonna be our guy and was happy with that.    

5th, close but not accurate.  Ville had 14 points in 34 games and OJ had 19 points in 38 games.  

Also, Ville could be a legend.  He is on the Jets and they know their Finnish players.  

Juolevi wouldn't be in the minus for +/- if the other team didn't score just as he was coming out of the penalty box...he couldn't be blamed for that one.

It was a bit surprising to see he wasn't ready to go for pre-season games, that was 6-7 months of rehab...I suppose he is going to take a bit to get up to speed.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

5th, close but not accurate.  Ville had 14 points in 34 games and OJ had 19 points in 38 games.  

Also, Ville could be a legend.  He is on the Jets and they know their Finnish players.  

Heinola was 2 years younger than Juolevi was when he posted those number (draft year vs. draft +2 year).

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Heinola was 2 years younger than Juolevi was when he posted those number (draft year vs. draft +2 year).

Heinola playing in the NHL right after his draft year is amazing. He's going to be an awesome dman for the jets.  Even if OJ had never had a single injury, he probably wouldn't have made the NHL until d+3. 

30 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Heinola playing in the NHL right after his draft year is amazing. He's going to be an awesome dman for the jets.  Even if OJ had never had a single injury, he probably wouldn't have made the NHL until d+3. 

Juolevi actually was injury free and had the same opportunity to make the team in his draft +1 and draft +2 years. The start of his draft +3 year is where the injury card could be played. 

6 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Juolevi actually was injury free and had the same opportunity to make the team in his draft +1 and draft +2 years. The start of his draft +3 year is where the injury card could be played. 

Pretty sure he had an injury during the Liiga season as he only played 38 games.  I recall something about a back injury?  I can't remember when it happenned, but there was something about his offseason being hampered and that he wasn't ready to play a the starting of the Liiga season.  Maybe someone else remembers the timeline.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Where would you slot OJ in the depth chart as of today?

Edler, Hughes, Benn, Fatenberg, Sautner. Tryamkin, Brisbois, Utunen, Rathbone, Teves

I think being a high draft pick and if he does well in Utica, he may be the 1st call up, if any of these starters get hurt

I think if Tree was here already, OJ may be the 2nd choice?

Tree already mentioned that maybe there won't be a spot for him before

It isn't always the most talent that stays up, It is who will be a good fit with the Right side dman too

Depends if they want speed, size or skill etc

I personally am ok with OJ developing on the farm (He has only played 23 games in all his time since being drafted)?

He has spent more time rehabbing than developing since picked, and hard to say how he will be in the NHL until he plays

Have him come up during injuries, so he can see first hand what he needs to work on when he goes back down

I don't like keeping young players in the pressbox instead of playing lots of minutes (Why was Gaudette sitting in all those games lumped together)?

Surely top minutes in Utica is better for him now I would think?

They could still make trades for left side dmen with some forwards

He needn't worry about the younger dmen…….. yet

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Where would you slot OJ in the depth chart as of today?

Edler, Hughes, Benn, Fatenberg, Sautner. Tryamkin, Brisbois, Utunen, Rathbone, Teves

I think being a high draft pick and if he does well in Utica, he may be the 1st call up, if any of these starters get hurt

I think if Tree was here already, OJ may be the 2nd choice?

Tree already mentioned that maybe there won't be a spot for him before

It isn't always the most talent that stays up, It is who will be a good fit with the Right side dman too

Depends if they want speed, size or skill etc

I personally am ok with OJ developing on the farm (He has only played 23 games in all his time since being drafted)?

He has spent more time rehabbing than developing since picked, and hard to say how he will be in the NHL until he plays

Have him come up during injuries, so he can see first hand what he needs to work on when he goes back down

I don't like keeping young players in the pressbox instead of playing lots of minutes (Why was Gaudette sitting in all those games lumped together)?

Surely top minutes in Utica is better for him now I would think?

They could still make trades for left side dmen with some forwards

He needn't worry about the younger dmen…….. yet

I think he has a 2 year trajectory of becoming a full time NHLer. It seems like they might speculate it sometime next year possibly.

That's how long we have both Benn and Edler for. Gives us a pretty good stop gap.

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Agreed.  That's not in question.  Just correcting the totals cause when I read 5th's post I thought they both had 19 points in 38 games.  

Just correcting the record and Ville could be a better player than Heskinen.  

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think he has a 2 year trajectory of becoming a full time NHLer. It seems like they might speculate it sometime next year possibly.

That's how long we have both Benn and Edler for. Gives us a pretty good stop gap.

Agreed.  

IMO OJ needs a stable environment  and reps.  He has that and a clear window to join a up and coming team at the perfect time.  

As for Trymakin, he adds depth in what could be a playoff bound team that will have walking wounded in the line up.  

ATM the team has decent depth but we also have expiring contracts.  Tanev is expiring and JB keeps him if we are in the hunt.  Think about adding a 6'7 260lbs d man with good mobility at the TDL without surrending an asset.  

Trymakin plays either side and easily slots into a vacant RHD spot next season.  As for the end of this year, injuries and roster moves can change the picture at any moment.  

I don't see any scenario in which Tanev is resigned going into an expansion draft.  

Adding Trymakin also makes players like Stecher easier to move.  Stecher and a 3rd pick could be enough to get someone to take Eriksson.  

21 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Oh....That’s not good :(

Anyone who thought OJ was a 5th round pick is clueless lol.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Anyone who thought OJ was a 5th round pick is clueless lol.

I guess you missed the sarcasm of having 1 of the only top 5 overall picks ever to take 4 years to make the nhl.

OJ shouldn’t have been taken 5th....  this was in JBs first few years here when he was still afflicted with the Canucks drafting curse.

OJ still has a chance - just wait and see.   U can’t win em all but maybe we still have a chance to get a decent defense piece out of it.  

On 10/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

Only that +/- are not counted on pk or pp

Also, the two offensive players you mentioned, always get the offensive zone starts, being the best players available to score

The PK minutes are tough minutes and you don't get a chance to get a plus coming after the kill like the other defensemen.  Risto and Daughty are the best defensemen on their teams.  The fact that they had the worst +/- doesn't change that.  

I mean look at the Canucks last year, Gudbranbsen and Hutton had the two worst +/- and Edler and Tanev tied for the best.  Doh!  Bad example.  :) 

It is pretty clear OJ is no Rasmus Dahlin (age 19) so in that sense Juollevi (21) is a disappointment whether because of injuries or he just isn't good enough.  But then again who else is in Dahlin's category?  Not many, and we sorely need D in the pipeline.  I think it is hard to say right now whether OJ will justify the high pick but he has some great attributes and on Saturday he lazered a stretch pass that lead to a goal that probably made Jim Benning's heart skip a beat.  

Edited by hobart16