The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

The more vague they get, the more intrigue. When i think lowerbody, i think hip or knee. Maybe feet too... so why the secrecy? Is it his penis? Half-kidding, but also maybe. 

Cull and Benning stating 'soon' as an option is a good sign. When you hear 'indefinite' you would think it'd be a while. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The more vague they get, the more intrigue. When i think lowerbody, i think hip or knee. Maybe feet too... so why the secrecy? Is it his penis? Half-kidding, but also maybe. 

Cull and Benning stating 'soon' as an option is a good sign. When you hear 'indefinite' you would think it'd be a while. 

It’s kind of strange the team is keeping a player’s injury such a secret.  What’s to gain by all the secrecy?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

it is no nut november:bigblush:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Heard thru the grapevine(deep sources) it's a frantic fungal-foot infection(known as F3, in medical parlance)..he just had to scratch, until they had to as well. They want the kid to settle in & stay, but he has itchy feet...

Some type of infection that needs treatment would be my guess. I guess they would rather not disclose the details for privacy reasons as it is most likely a non hockey related health issue.

The use of word "soon" implies that it's unlikely to be a season ending injury as some feared anyways. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, khay said:

Some type of infection that needs treatment would be my guess. I guess they would rather not disclose the details for privacy reasons as it is most likely a non hockey related health issue.

The use of word "soon" implies that it's unlikely to be a season ending injury as some feared anyways. 

Maybe it is athlete's itch? That can be a real bugger to get rid of, especially in the crotch. Guy Lapointe had a problem many years ago with the Habs and it made him retire early. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

..Some of the worst speculation I have heard...let's give it a rest....

lol I agree...

But this shows how much is riding on the success/failure of Juolevi. We need one more elite defenceman and I think one more top 6 forward to round out the core. Currently we have EP, Boeser, Horvat with Podkolzin on the way up front. We have Demko on the goal. On the backend we only have Hughes and if Juolevi doesn't pan out, we have no one with an elite potential coming up. Have to draft and develop considering how difficult it is to sign a top 2/top 3 defenceman but then that could take a while.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, khay said:

lol I agree...

But this shows how much is riding on the success/failure of Juolevi. We need one more elite defenceman and I think one more top 6 forward to round out the core. Currently we have EP, Boeser, Horvat with Podkolzin on the way up front. We have Demko on the goal. On the backend we only have Hughes and if Juolevi doesn't pan out, we have no one with an elite potential coming up. Have to draft and develop considering how difficult it is to sign a top 2/top 3 defenceman but then that could take a while.

Rathbone looks great, and Tryamkin is coming back.  Plus, 

Woo is solid.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, khay said:

lol I agree...

I think Rathbone is going to be better than Stetcher and maybe even a Hughes lite kind of D...so if one of Oli or Jack do pan out ...we will be fine, if both do we need to ship out a NHL D.

I do agree that one more high end D. prospect would be a good idea...Utinen is alright but iffy and Rafferty, Teves, Brisboise and Sautner are all alright for 7th or 8th D depth.

Forgot about Tryamkin and Woo may get to top 4...but looks to me like a depth D.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rathbone looks great, and Tryamkin is coming back.  Plus, 

Woo is solid.  

Yeah but those guys are still mostly potential and doesn't have the pedigree that Juolevi has nor the potential.

Juolevi comes with pedigree of winning a WJHC and was the captain of Finland one year although they sucked that year. Winning OHL championship and Memorial cup. This guy had realistic chance to become a top2 defenceman, well until the injuries.

I guess if Tryamkin comes back then, he has the chance to become part of the core. Although right now, he looks like a 3rd pairing defenceman with potential to be a capable 2nd pairing dman, not quite the top 2/top3 defenceman that Juolevi could still become.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, khay said:

lol I agree...

There is a restraint on the number of star players you can have on a roster, it's called the Salary Cap! The likes of EP, QH will consume approx. 30% of the entire Cap, maybe more. The there's BH,TD, AG, BB, amongst others getting good coin. As we speak we're maxed out on our Cap. The players leaving will not be enough to off set the big signings IMO

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

There is a restraint on the number of star players you can have on a roster, it's called the Salary Cap! The likes of EP, QH will consume approx. 30% of the entire Cap, maybe more. The there's BH,TD, AG, BB, amongst others getting good coin. As we speak we're maxed out on our Cap. The players leaving will not be enough to off set the big signings IMO

The good news is JB has drafted an awesome group of prospects.  Over the next several years these prospects will be our new support players, and replace guys who age out or cost too much.  The prospects will be on cheap ELC’s.  It’s just friggin’ brilliant what JB has done, right?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Some of the core will be paid far less. For example, Podkolzin is drafted 6 years after Bo. He will be on an ELC. If Juolevi makes it, then due to his stunted growth he will not be paid the same as other core players. 

Approx 30% of 80+ million dollars is 24 million dollars. You are suggesting that EP and QH will get 12 million dollars each? Canucks have leverage on EP and Hughes as they are RFAs. If the team is in a position to contend, they will find a way to fit those guys in under the cap. They are due for a new contract for 2021-22 season. At that point, Canucks will have 40 million dollars left to work with. 

Eriksson + Luongo + Baer are eating up 13 million dollars. By the end of 2021-22 season, these will all be off the book. This is more than enough to sign Brock, who is already paid 5+ mil, requiring raise of around 2-3 mil. Same with Bo, he is already paid 5+ mil, he is going to require a raise of about 2-3 mil. It's not like EP and Hughes, who were paid peanuts and then all of a sudden will see their salary increase to 8-11 mil.

Can we afford 4F2D1G, assuming Pod and Juolevi join the core? Let's say we are at the end of 2021-22 when almost everyone except Bo would have been renewed.

EP: 11

Brock: 7.5

Bo: 5.5 due for a raise in a year

Pod: ELC (he will have jointed the team in 2021-22)

24-27 mil depending on Pod's ELC bonus.

QH: 9 mil

Juolevi: 5 mil (assuming he makes the roster next season and shows growth)

14 mil.

Demko: 5 mil (assuming he has taken over the starting role).

Total: 43-46 mil.

Let's say cap is at 85 mil. That gives around 40 mil to complete the rest of the roster. Some players are still under contract at that point:

Miller: 5.25

Myers: 6

Ferland: 3.5

14.75 mil.

That's 6F3D1G with 4F being definitive top 6 forwards (i.e., expesive): EP, Boeser, Bo, Miller, Pod, Ferland and 3 top 4 defenders (QH, Myers, OJ) and a starting goalie.

So all we gotta do is fill out bottom 6 forwards, 1 top 4, 2 third pairing and a back up goalie with 25 mil. I think it's doable considering bottom pairing defenders are about 2-3 mil on average and bottom 6 forwards are usually younger guys on ELC or right after ELC. Only player that would commend high salary is probably AG and possibly JV if he puts it together but that should be manageable.

There is a cap to balance out competition but that doesn't mean you should strive for inferior roster.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

I guess if Tryamkin comes back then, he has the chance to become part of the core. Although right now, he looks like a 3rd pairing defenceman with potential to be a capable 2nd pairing dman, not quite the top 2/top3 defenceman that Juolevi could still become.

If and when Tryamkin comes back he will be almost 26 years old. In all likelihood he has already peaked and is clearly a 3rd pairing D.

While I would like the size and physicality he would bring, he is still only a 3rd pairing D.