The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 hours ago, khay said:

Some of the core will be paid far less. For example, Podkolzin is drafted 6 years after Bo. He will be on an ELC. If Juolevi makes it, then due to his stunted growth he will not be paid the same as other core players. 

Approx 30% of 80+ million dollars is 24 million dollars. You are suggesting that EP and QH will get 12 million dollars each? Canucks have leverage on EP and Hughes as they are RFAs. If the team is in a position to contend, they will find a way to fit those guys in under the cap. They are due for a new contract for 2021-22 season. At that point, Canucks will have 40 million dollars left to work with. 

Eriksson + Luongo + Baer are eating up 13 million dollars. By the end of 2021-22 season, these will all be off the book. This is more than enough to sign Brock, who is already paid 5+ mil, requiring raise of around 2-3 mil. Same with Bo, he is already paid 5+ mil, he is going to require a raise of about 2-3 mil. It's not like EP and Hughes, who were paid peanuts and then all of a sudden will see their salary increase to 8-11 mil.

Can we afford 4F2D1G, assuming Pod and Juolevi join the core? Let's say we are at the end of 2021-22 when almost everyone except Bo would have been renewed.

EP: 11

Brock: 7.5

Bo: 5.5 due for a raise in a year

Pod: ELC (he will have jointed the team in 2021-22)

24-27 mil depending on Pod's ELC bonus.

QH: 9 mil

Juolevi: 5 mil (assuming he makes the roster next season and shows growth)

14 mil.

Demko: 5 mil (assuming he has taken over the starting role).

Total: 43-46 mil.

Let's say cap is at 85 mil. That gives around 40 mil to complete the rest of the roster. Some players are still under contract at that point:

Miller: 5.25

Myers: 6

Ferland: 3.5

14.75 mil.

That's 6F3D1G with 4F being definitive top 6 forwards (i.e., expesive): EP, Boeser, Bo, Miller, Pod, Ferland and 3 top 4 defenders (QH, Myers, OJ) and a starting goalie.

So all we gotta do is fill out bottom 6 forwards, 1 top 4, 2 third pairing and a back up goalie with 25 mil. I think it's doable considering bottom pairing defenders are about 2-3 mil on average and bottom 6 forwards are usually younger guys on ELC or right after ELC. Only player that would commend high salary is probably AG and possibly JV if he puts it together but that should be manageable.

There is a cap to balance out competition but that doesn't mean you should strive for inferior roster.

Thanks, saved me a lot of typing.. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

I sit on the opposite side but I'm pretty sure that Juolevi was standing in the tunnel with the rest of the Comets players not playing tonight watching the game.  If he is back in Utica then whatever ailment that caused him to fly back to Vancouver must be less of a concern.

Considering the issues that he's had with injuries, this could just be a case of, "Let's be over cautious"

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2019 at 9:56 AM, khay said:

lol I agree...

But this shows how much is riding on the success/failure of Juolevi. We need one more elite defenceman and I think one more top 6 forward to round out the core. Currently we have EP, Boeser, Horvat with Podkolzin on the way up front. We have Demko on the goal. On the backend we only have Hughes and if Juolevi doesn't pan out, we have no one with an elite potential coming up. Have to draft and develop considering how difficult it is to sign a top 2/top 3 defenceman but then that could take a while.

Probably a bit premature to put Pod in that category.  Woo seems to further along tbe development path than him (granted he's older BUT he has shown progression).  Difficult to determine what development Pod has had to date since being drafted considering where he plays right now.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:10 AM, Fred65 said:

There is a restraint on the number of star players you can have on a roster, it's called the Salary Cap! The likes of EP, QH will consume approx. 30% of the entire Cap, maybe more. The there's BH,TD, AG, BB, amongst others getting good coin. As we speak we're maxed out on our Cap. The players leaving will not be enough to off set the big signings IMO

simmer down there fred  we have horvat on a very cap friendly deal a few more yrs im pretty sure  peterrsson and hughes wont cost us 30 mill to sign i could see petey getting 12 a yr for 8 yrs and  hughes signing a bridge deal 3 yrs 5-6 mill per or maybe 7 yrs 7 mill   no worries we will have  pearson, baertchi, leivo, sutter, tanev benn stecher markstrom edler  motte  coming off the books in 2 yrs   so 40 mill in cap to resign  virtanen, gaudette, demko, hughes, petersson  podzolkin  and tryamkin and thats before  benning making trades or anything chill out

Edited by canuktravella
  • Like 1