Recommended Posts

It’s interesting that they felt the need to include this new injury is unrelated to the knee.  My guess is they were trying to mitigate concern. Clearly they don’t understand the Canucks fan complex. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

It’s interesting that they felt the need to include this new injury is unrelated to the knee.  My guess is they were trying to mitigate concern. Clearly they don’t understand the Canucks fan complex. 

JB said it’s not related to the recent surgically repaired knee.  My money is it’s his other knee that’s injured now.  Love OJ’s size and skill, but seriously doubt he ever plays for us.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I don’t think people dog on it because he won’t make it. I think that people are sour towards this pick because there was about 10 better picks at the point, 5 of them were D-men. Generally top 5 overall should be allstars by the time they’re 24. 

 

 This is Rodin2.0. But I guess sometimes everyone swings and misses. 

The problem with that pick is it wasn't a swing. Many of us wanted a swing, JB probably couldn't have missed if he'd actually taken a swing. What we got was a safe bunt from a GM that hadn't proven much at the time and was really needing a win. OJ was dubbed a safe pick likely to have a long career. It just so happened to be exactly the time to not play it safe. This was at a time when the organization hadn't seen a fast skating, dynamic elite talent in a very long time.

 

It was a fundamental difference of the kind of hockey many of us wanted to see. In JB's defence, he has yet to play it safe again and obviously we all know how he answered back the very next year with EP40 mic drop.

 

I'm not writing OJ off, but he also can't be looked at as a sure thing anymore. Injuries matter.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

and people were disappointed with Edler and Tanev always being hurt, 

He is young still , but he hasn't had much developing since junior either

 

Maybe it is time to trade a potential forward of ours for a defencemen with potential, as we have more of those forwards than defencemen?

 

I was thinking the same thing. Our crop of young defenders is significantly weaker than our crop of young forwards. We have a bunch of young defenders that are close to NHL ready in Utica, but none that look like they could make a significant impact if Juolevi continues down this path. 

 

The question is which one of our young forwards would you want to trade? It would need to be someone with value if we want a good defenseman back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

The problem with that pick is it wasn't a swing. Many of us wanted a swing, JB probably couldn't have missed if he'd actually taken a swing. What we got was a safe bunt from a GM that hadn't proven much at the time and was really needing a win. OJ was dubbed a safe pick likely to have a long career. It just so happened to be exactly the time to not play it safe. This was at a time when the organization hadn't seen a fast skating, dynamic elite talent in a very long time.

 

It was a fundamental difference of the kind of hockey many of us wanted to see. In JB's defence, he has yet to play it safe again and obviously we all know how he answered back the very next year with EP40 mic drop.

 

I'm not writing OJ off, but he also can't be looked at as a sure thing anymore. Injuries matter.

 

 

 

 

Yea, the analysts tend to agree that a player is 90-100% of what they’ll be by age 24. I remember that draft and Tkatchuk was the bpa available. Sergachev was the highest skilled D, but the Canucks felt OJ could add D skills that Sergachev couldn’t. 

 

 I was hesitant to ride the hype train as OJ had played on a London team PP with Tkatchuk, Marner and  a 3rd 1.5ppg player(my memory is escaping me of who but I think it may have been the younger Strome)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man he has been such an unfortunate pick with his injuries.

 

I am hoping he can turn it around but it'll definitely take a lot more time then expected.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very discouraging news.  Can't imagine how disheartened this young athlete is right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

He's a bust. Unfortunately couldn't even manage to play a NHL game 4 seasons after being drafted. Passing on Tkachuk will go down as a Kopitar level miss.

 

Hopefully someone like Rathbone who I'm high on can develop into a top 4 d-man.

Did you ever even watch bourdon play? Or are you to young for that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB said it’s not related to the recent surgically repaired knee.  My money is it’s his other knee that’s injured now.  Love OJ’s size and skill, but seriously doubt he ever plays for us.  

Yeah, I moved my hopes for next good Canuck defender to Rathbone last year. I also like Teves and Rafferty - Rafferty for his all round play (Utica’s top D scorer), Teves for his strong defence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I feel like he is the next Chris Tanev in the making

if he becomes a Chris tanev I'm sure 98% of us will take it.

 

what pisses me off right now is that they refuse to disclose the injury like they are hiding something.  Hire new doctors if they don't know what the &^@# they are talking about!

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

if he becomes a Chris tanev I'm sure 98% of us will take it.

 

what pisses me off right now is that they refuse to disclose the injury like they are hiding something.  Hire new doctors if they don't know what the &^@# they are talking about!

I think it's a bit premature to get worked up over the lack of knowledge about the injury. If they're bringing him back to Vancouver for further evaluation it's most likely so they can learn the full extent of the injury which will require extensive testing. My guess is once they know more we'll know more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

The problem with that pick is it wasn't a swing. Many of us wanted a swing, JB probably couldn't have missed if he'd actually taken a swing. What we got was a safe bunt from a GM that hadn't proven much at the time and was really needing a win. OJ was dubbed a safe pick likely to have a long career. It just so happened to be exactly the time to not play it safe. This was at a time when the organization hadn't seen a fast skating, dynamic elite talent in a very long time.

 

It was a fundamental difference of the kind of hockey many of us wanted to see. In JB's defence, he has yet to play it safe again and obviously we all know how he answered back the very next year with EP40 mic drop.

 

I'm not writing OJ off, but he also can't be looked at as a sure thing anymore. Injuries matter.

 

 

 

 

What are you talking about? Joelevi was projected to be a number 2 dman. We desperately needed Dman. Taking a dman so early in the draft is a huge risk. After the next year he was projected to be a top 4 dman. There was absolutely nothing safe about this pick. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

It's a lower body injury and it's serious, my wild guess is ACL.

Don’t know, but guessing it’s his other knee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juolevi is 21 and this right now is important development time for him particularly since he missed most of last season.  If he's had another serious injury, you have to wonder if he'll ever turn into the player they hoped when they drafted him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

 

I was thinking the same thing. Our crop of young defenders is significantly weaker than our crop of young forwards. We have a bunch of young defenders that are close to NHL ready in Utica, but none that look like they could make a significant impact if Juolevi continues down this path. 

 

The question is which one of our young forwards would you want to trade? It would need to be someone with value if we want a good defenseman back. 

I have no one in mind, no one likes to trade away young unproven developing players but, just thinking as you, that we might have a similar forward with upswing and another team has a similar defenceman with upswing, and both would like to make a positional player change,, that maybe now it, may be the time to consider making that move if possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

 

I was thinking the same thing. Our crop of young defenders is significantly weaker than our crop of young forwards. We have a bunch of young defenders that are close to NHL ready in Utica, but none that look like they could make a significant impact if Juolevi continues down this path. 

 

The question is which one of our young forwards would you want to trade? It would need to be someone with value if we want a good defenseman back. 

Rathbone, Tryamkin, Woo and Juolevi will all be NHL D. if there health holds up...Rathbone and Juolevi will be top 4 and the other 2 not far behind.

 

I don't think we are too bad off and wouldn't trade a high end forward prospect for a maybe D prospect....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...