The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It's almost like the players prove their toughness by blocking shots.  It's part of the hockey culture I think.  

Defending against passing is so effective now that the offenses are struggling to keep up the continuity on attack.  That's effective for sure, but the shot blocking is overrated in my opinion.  We even keep statistics on it now.  I think if players covered passing lanes and players, rather than retreating into a turtle we might not be that bad off.  It would also help keep the feet moving. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Didn't they say they were doing some work on Tanev's equipment this year?  I wonder if it is helping Chris with blocking shots?

That's good to hear.  The guy gets a lot of shots off the ankles and lower leg. (And face occasionally, lol -- I love Bieksa's interview with him on this.)

Edited by gameburn
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Defending against passing is so effective now that the offenses are struggling to keep up the continuity on attack.  That's effective for sure, but the shot blocking is overrated in my opinion.  We even keep statistics on it now.  I think if players covered passing lanes and players, rather than retreating into a turtle we might not be that bad off.  It would also help keep the feet moving. 

I think if we're blocking a lot of shots, then we're playing too much in our own end.  Let's play in the other team's end.  

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

OJ is going to be a really good top four D man, when he is fully matured both physically and emotionally.  He is only 21.  I expect him in our lineup before this season ends, and really growing as an NHL player.  

Yeah but you also said you think OJ will be better than Dahlin??!!   :lol:

(see sig below) (mildly sorry Alf)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I've always questioned his training.  Of course it's a viscous cycle, what with all the injuries tempering his training in the off season. 

When he's healthy, he plays well and usually puts up a solid play off performance.  Still hopeful that he will come through all this, but I have to admit that my enthusiasm is starting to wane.

I remember hearing a few times before he was drafted he didn’t take his training as serious as others and didn’t like the gym. Maybe there’s truth to that will all his injuries. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

It's frustrating how injuries have marred his development, but I can't believe people saying he may never play a game in the NHL.

Can't wait to see him prove them wrong.

Yup, don't blame them for being cautious. Better to make sure.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

It's frustrating how injuries have marred his development, but I can't believe people saying he may never play a game in the NHL.

Can't wait to see him prove them wrong.

Considering OJ had a sore hip, why all the secrecy behind the injury?  What's the potential disaster JB was avoiding by not letting any information out?  This makes no sense at all.  If it's just a sore hip, we would have known from the start.  This is way more than just a sore hip.  Could this be some sort of hip disease?  

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering OJ had a sore hip, why all the secrecy behind the injury?  What's the potential disaster JB was avoiding by not letting any information out?  This makes no sense at all.  If it's just a sore hip, we would have known from the start.  This is way more than just a sore hip.  Could this be some sort of hip disease?  

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Was that so hard....

The Canucks seem to have a policy in place that in general they release as little info about injuries as possible. Probably wise in a market whose media runs away with every little piece of info they can get and quickly turns thing into a $%&* storm.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

The Canucks seem to have a policy in place that in general they release as little info about injuries as possible. Probably wise in a market whose media runs away with every little piece of info they can get and quickly turns thing into a $%&* storm.

A little transparency with the fans would be nice.    

• Like 1