The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Knee surgery is one thing.

Knee surgery then back surgery then knee surgery is another thing.

Juolevi likely has next to no value at the moment trade wise anyways. It's best just to keep him. 

On a side note, the Kings were patient with Vilardi's injury troubles as he missed almost 2 years. He's now back and playing in the AHL looking good. That's the best case for Juolevi.

And the Canucks have been patient with Juolevi and he’s back playing well too.

Just goes to show fans are too quick to write off players.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Don't sleep on him yet, he is coming around!

On a side note, Number 10 for the Marlies is Tanner MacMaster the former Comet.  Got into a tussle with Lind 2 weeks ago, and fought Boucher yesterday, and looks like Juolevi was trying to run him through the boards.  Get the sense that people don't like him haha.

He’s turned into a little bitch since being traded to Toronto. He wanted to fight Bailey earlier in the game.  Bailey has at least 6 inches on him, and at one point in the scrum he put out his hand around McMasters head level, basically saying he was too short to fight him. He didn’t want it to look like he was picking on a smaller player.  Was pretty funny in the moment. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Hi praise from Ryan Johnson about Juolevi today on 650.

A summary:

- He's been outstanding with handling the situation.

- It was hard to lose him after he was having a great year last year.

- Off to a great start again.

- Playing a ton of minutes.

- People here on the west would be pleasantly surprised in the evolution of his game and what he has added to his repertoire.

- First guy over the boards on PK, leads team in blocked shots on PK, horse in different areas, part of the PP, does a lot of great things.

- The way he moves the puck, his hockey sense is ELITE.

- Wasn't sure what was going to happen with hip issue, thankfully it was nothing major.

- Olli really enjoys playing the game right now and is thriving and fits into the positive culture of kids that are in Utica.

- This is the beset RJ has seen Olli mentally and physically.

:towel:

That's sounds very good. And if this is all true we can expect him to take the NHL by storm in a short space of time. 

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Again disingenuous arguements based on a small sample size and a rookie AHLer adjusting to a new club and also having an severe knee injury.  

Straw manning a talking point without addressing anything in my response. 

Typically most knowledgeable fans would give OJ at least half a season in his rookie AHL season to get up to speed prior to even looking at the -/+ stats. 

That you tool 2 less than 1/4 seasons and failed to even mention the trend line of a improving -/+ which would be expected with a rookie player adjusting to a new league, new coach, new system and new players while recovering from a significant time loss injury.  

That you won't address these valid points and continue to repeat 'concerns' about a non issue at this point is laughable.  

If this is an issue in a year to two years time, then it may have merit.  Until then, why not hang up the keyboard and just watch the kids play without trying create a false 'concern' about a nonsense stat in the context that you used it. 

That guy is a troll. Good post.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I really feel if he could stay healthy he would have played some games with the big club last season. Sucks injuries are holding him back cause it sounds like he has all the talent to be a good NHL d-man right now. Stay healthy Olli, hope to see you in a Canucks’ jersey soon.

I went into this season thinking that he would be with the team by the new year.   I think his hip injury/issue set that back about a month.  I could see him playing minutes in the NHL in the spring for sure.  I still feel we are going to be very happy with him in the long run.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I went into this season thinking that he would be with the team by the new year.   I think his hip injury/issue set that back about a month.  I could see him playing minutes in the NHL in the spring for sure.  I still feel we are going to be very happy with him in the long run.

sometimes when people go through a lot young like OJ has, you end up with a very high quality person. 

• Upvote 1

If we were to remove the words " if, maybe, might, think, some times, hope" many poster would have little to say. ::D:lol:

Gawdzukes, far from being a troll I've been a fan of the Canucks since 1972 ( maybe before you were born ) and a season ticket holder since 1973. How about you ? :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

If we were to remove the words " if, maybe, might, think, some times, hope" many poster would have little to say. ::D:lol:

Gawdzukes, far from being a troll I've been a fan of the Canucks since 1972 ( maybe before you were born ) and a season ticket holder since 1973. How about you ? :rolleyes:

No offense, but I think I'll err on the side of knowledge and go with Ryan Johnson's assessment.

• Cheers 2

So OJ has played 18 games last year and now this year. He has a better +/- by +3 and has 5 less points, this fewer points to potentially pad the +/- stat. Since +/- is such a critical stat to most, does that mean he's improved defensively since last season? #Development

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So OJ has played 18 games last year and now this year. He has a better +/- by +3 and has 5 less points, this fewer points to potentially pad the +/- stat. Since +/- is such a critical stat to most, does that mean he's improved defensively since last season? #Development

Hard to say without watching games but this year's comet team is much better and the team has a much better +/- overall.  A difference of 3 in the +/- category doesn't mean much.