The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, Ihatetomatoes said:

Hard to say without watching games but this year's comet team is much better and the team has a much better +/- overall.  A difference of 3 in the +/- category doesn't mean much.

Well I just find it interesting that if it's spun positively, it's a team effect. But if it's viewed negatively, it's all on OJ.

The reality is that OJ is being put into the tough assignments. Top PK unit and likely facing the tougher assignments when available. He's being groomed to be a high minute munching all situations type dman, so it's no wonder his +/- will take a hit especially as a young guy growing into the role.

I wasn't really serious about my post, but was curious to see the response. If all goes according to plan, OJ is going to still have a big part of our future with the way they are deploying him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

No offense, but I think I'll err on the side of knowledge and go with Ryan Johnson's assessment.

I hope you and Johnson are right but the fact is Johnson said the same thing last year , no offense taken :rolleyes: all good with me

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I once sat next to an old timer at a Canucks game. Said he was a season ticket holder. They guy moaned and complained the entire game, and was just a real bummer to be around the entire night. Just because you go to games doesn't make you fun to talk to about hockey. 

Or any more knowledgeable. Some of the questions at those STH events were cringe worthy.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I once sat next to an old timer at a Canucks game. Said he was a season ticket holder. They guy moaned and complained the entire game, and was just a real bummer to be around the entire night. Just because you go to games doesn't make you fun to talk to about hockey. 

Very true, I assume you're without blemish too ::D    I once sat next to an elderly chap at the game and he critiqued the entire game too, turned out he was a scout for the Kamloops Blazers and his son had played for years in the NHL. I learned quite a bit that night. The important thing for me was I kept my ears and mind open

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

On 12/13/2019 at 9:36 PM, stawns said:

No offense, but I think I'll err on the side of knowledge and go with Ryan Johnson's assessment.

Really, do you think Johnson is going to come out and say, “Well, I guess Jimbo really screwed up that fifth overall pick when he took Juolevi, should have taken that other guy...”?

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Really, do you think Johnson is going to come out and say, “Well, I guess Jimbo really screwed up that fifth overall pick when he took Juolevi, should have taken that other guy...”?

he didn't have to say too much I know he's not going to throw Olli under the bus, simple as he's playing well for us, learning lots, etc etc.  

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

No, because he does talk about what players need to work on to get to the next level and what players are doing well and progressing on? No, he isn't like the sad side of CDC and online hockey forums in general that don't understand it is impossible to hit on every pick and to just hope the player that was picked can become the best they can be.

Take a look at this article

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-rafferty-a-revelation-mcdonough-powers-up/wcm/f37d9c68-f7f3-4e03-8330-037f892b1a54

and in particular this paragraph

And then there’s 2016 first-rounder Olli Juolevi, who has been good offensively but is still sorting out his defensive game. Juolevi didn’t have a strong week, netting no points in four games while going a combined minus-four. His minus-11 rating is far and away the worst among Comets defencemen.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Take a look at this article

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-rafferty-a-revelation-mcdonough-powers-up/wcm/f37d9c68-f7f3-4e03-8330-037f892b1a54

and in particular this paragraph

And then there’s 2016 first-rounder Olli Juolevi, who has been good offensively but is still sorting out his defensive game. Juolevi didn’t have a strong week, netting no points in four games while going a combined minus-four. His minus-11 rating is far and away the worst among Comets defencemen.

Yep, he's taken a step back. 

14 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

It's totally fair to criticize a player if you watch them and analyze their abilities. To say that he didn't have a strong week because of his plus/minus is just lazy.

Quinn Hughes has the worst plus/minus out of all Canucks d-men, he is our best d-man.

OJ never picking up any points, Hughes is

Edited by Fred65
  • Wat 1

23 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he didn't have to say too much I know he's not going to throw Olli under the bus, simple as he's playing well for us, learning lots, etc etc.  

He’s not playing well for us, he is terrible defensively and contributes little to the offence.  For any who have actually watched him play, they know all too well that he is not very mobile - he can’t even keep up with AHL play, never mind the NHL.  You want to see him exposed? Bring him up and let him play in a league where everybody can skate. In 38 games he is -23. In a full season, that is almost -50. -10 or -15 over a season - yeah, that can be a matter of deployment. Minus 50? You suck.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

No, because he does talk about what players need to work on to get to the next level and what players are doing well and progressing on? No, he isn't like the sad side of CDC and online hockey forums in general that don't understand it is impossible to hit on every pick and to just hope the player that was picked can become the best they can be.

I don’t argue that Benning has mostly made good picks, but Juolevi isn’t one of them - the thing that hurts is that it was a high pick.  Fortunately, he has some great winners to offset Juolevi - Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes already look like great picks - Virtanen looks like a guy worth waiting for - and we have a ton of prospects that could well be important for us in the future - most of whom I have defended on this site - but Juolevi isn’t one of them. I’m sorry, but skating matters and until his skating improves, I don’t see him as a player.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1