The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

51 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He’s not playing well for us, he is terrible defensively and contributes little to the offence.  For any who have actually watched him play, they know all too well that he is not very mobile - he can’t even keep up with AHL play, never mind the NHL.  You want to see him exposed? Bring him up and let him play in a league where everybody can skate. In 38 games he is -23. In a full season, that is almost -50. -10 or -15 over a season - yeah, that can be a matter of deployment. Minus 50? You suck.

what should he have said then Ray?  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t argue that Benning has mostly made good picks, but Juolevi isn’t one of them - the thing that hurts is that it was a high pick.  Fortunately, he has some great winners to offset Juolevi - Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes already look like great picks - Virtanen looks like a guy worth waiting for - and we have a ton of prospects that could well be important for us in the future - most of whom I have defended on this site - but Juolevi isn’t one of them. I’m sorry, but skating matters and until his skating improves, I don’t see him as a player.

I respect this comment.  

I hope he can turn sht around.  

55 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He’s not playing well for us, he is terrible defensively and contributes little to the offence.  For any who have actually watched him play, they know all too well that he is not very mobile - he can’t even keep up with AHL play, never mind the NHL.  You want to see him exposed? Bring him up and let him play in a league where everybody can skate. In 38 games he is -23. In a full season, that is almost -50. -10 or -15 over a season - yeah, that can be a matter of deployment. Minus 50? You suck.

Isn’t he close this season to being a 3/4 PPG player?  What’s PK Subban’s current plus minus or Drew Doughty’s? 

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t argue that Benning has mostly made good picks, but Juolevi isn’t one of them - the thing that hurts is that it was a high pick.  Fortunately, he has some great winners to offset Juolevi - Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes already look like great picks - Virtanen looks like a guy worth waiting for - and we have a ton of prospects that could well be important for us in the future - most of whom I have defended on this site - but Juolevi isn’t one of them. I’m sorry, but skating matters and until his skating improves, I don’t see him as a player.

This is fair, however, I feel like maybe you're slightly harder on Juolevi's skating than reality. I haven't watched much but from what I have read and heard, is he not skating better since the surgery? Was it not the bad knee that was hampering his abilities which was causing him to be beat outside often? He was known as a strong skater since he was drafted.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

mean girls no GIF

Ristolainen was -41 last season. Still gets deployed 20-25 minutes a night and puts up 40+ point seasons. I personally don't think Risto sucks. He's +9 this year so far and pretty much on pace for another 40 point season. Looks like +/- could be turned around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

pffft did you see the Sedins?

Daniel only finished with like a 140 positive +/-

McDavid only has a positive 49

Doughty is only a +54

Hell that loser Matthias Ohlund finished his career a -9

We can wash our hands of Olli Juolevi right now and admit that the rightful pick was Tkachuk with his whopping +23 because we know that our team is complete and utter garbage being lead by Bo Horvat and his accumulative -60 +/-

We can all go home people, Fred and Mike Raptis have spoken.  You saw the article in the sun, and Freds endless posts.  it's all over, fold the team and move them to Saskatchewan already where they know +/- accounts for everything

It’s crazy +/- is really an idea of how good your team is, the only time it really means anything is if you are a plus player on a bad team

• Upvote 1

Juolevi not looking good at the moment, more and more like a bust given his draft position. Other dmen in his draft class have already played 3-4 full NHL seasons.... 

Bummer he is not working out especially now is the golden time to transition our older Dmen. 

I just drool when I think about if we had drafted Tkachuk instead. Gritty 80 point top LW. We could be quite a good team right now. My jaws just dropped when we drafted Juolevi instead of Tkachuk, never expected it to happen since Tkachuk was such an obvious choice. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

59 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Juolevi not looking good at the moment, more and more like a bust given his draft position. Other dmen in his draft class have already played 3-4 full NHL seasons.... 

Bummer he is not working out especially now is the golden time to transition our older Dmen. 

I just drool when I think about if we had drafted Tkachuk instead. Gritty 80 point top LW. We could be quite a good team right now. My jaws just dropped when we drafted Juolevi instead of Tkachuk, never expected it to happen since Tkachuk was such an obvious choice. 

80 points eh?  :frantic:

dubas.PNG.85c1a67a6c52d2b8ad528f8fc023fda9.PNG

Exaggerate much?

:picard:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

It’s almost 2020 now people are over 2016. 

We just just want Juolevi to pan out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

It’s crazy +/- is really an idea of how good your team is, the only time it really means anything is if you are a plus player on a bad team

But...that suggests that the stat is a reflection of an entire team not just *gasp* one player!

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

+/- is often just an indication of how quickly you get on or off the ice on a line change.  

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Googlie said:

+/- is often just an indication of how quickly you get on or off the ice on a line change.  

I know Bo Horvat's +/- is bad but I wonder how much of that is scewed by all the empty net goals he's been on for.

• Cheers 1

Tchapuke and Johnny hockey have  both been pegged as players that Calgary will need to move in the near future...we would be in the same place if we had them and likely without either EP or QH as well ...

Having OJ develop slowly is a good thing in the long run...as long as he can put the injury thing behind him...at least as much as Edler ( who misses 10-20 games or more every season) then it will work out way better for us in the long run...!

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

80 points eh?  :frantic:

dubas.PNG.85c1a67a6c52d2b8ad528f8fc023fda9.PNG

Exaggerate much?

:picard:

lol.

So you think a 22 year old Tkachuk has already peaked? He can easily break 80 points any time in the next couple of years. 

Or,  worded in another way, Tkachuk is already a top 10 LW in the league. Does that make you feel better?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I know Bo Horvat's +/- is bad but I wonder how much of that is scewed by all the empty net goals he's been on for.

It doesn't matter. +/- requires no EXTRA context. If it's a minus, you're bad defensively.

THEREFORE, Horvat is a HORRIBLE DEFENSIVE player /sarc

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

lol.

So you think a 22 year old Tkachuk has already peaked? He can easily break 80 points any time in the next couple of years. 

Or,  worded in another way, Tkachuk is already a top 10 LW in the league. Does that make you feel better?

You're also assuming that 80 points is something he does on a regular basis.

Eriksson is a 60 pt winger. He was good right before he signed with the Canucks tbh. One good year doesn't mean it's sustainable. 80 pt winger is VERY exaggerated.

• Cheers 1