1 hour ago, KeslerWho? said:

So how's he been playing? 

Given we are just now hearing about his health I imagine he’s not with the team yet. But before his leave the coaches had nothing but good things to say about him. 

• Burrows 1

They took every precaution & continue to do so. That's great to hear (and I think expected as this stage).

I think coming off two serious surgeries like Knee & Back, its not surprising there might be some wear & tear from getting back into the full swing of things.

Glad it seems to be (more or less) minor & he's getting going again. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

1 hour ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/olli-juolevi-was-dealing-with-hip-soreness-canucks

Juolevi had hip soreness. Doesn't sound like it was serious. Probably poor conditioning and being forced to play a ton of minutes. 

If it’s not serious, why did he miss a month of play and have to come to Vancouver for evaluation?  Sounds pretty darned serious to me. 

Just now, Alflives said:

If it’s not serious, why did he miss a month of play and have to come to Vancouver for evaluation?  Sounds pretty darned serious to me. 

The whole benning administration has a lot riding on Juolevi. Probably want to be cautious. 

• Burrows 2

Load management. They were probably playing him too much and it put stress on his body. They don't want to risk over exerting him and risking injury.

A result of poor conditioning I assume. All that time off with injury was a setback. 

The plan is probably baby steps in the hopes that he improves in the gym and on the ice over time.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

I understand why they proceeded with caution, but still, it seems really weird that they were so secretive about the whole thing. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Poor conditioning eh? Given the rumours about his affinity for training it’s not exactly good rumours to hear. I’d rather he be addicted to Fortnite.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Poor conditioning eh? Given the rumours about his affinity for training it’s not exactly good rumours to hear. I’d rather he be addicted to Fortnite.

Think more on the end of recovery...  major surgeries can take a long time to overcome, and definitely will effect conditioning, as it’s tough to go 150% on training when you’re rehabbing. 

still think Juolevi will be a solid 2nd pairing D, along the lines of a Matt Niskanen.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I understand why they proceeded with caution, but still, it seems really weird that they were so secretive about the whole thing. 

Why do they need to be so public about it? So people can jump to more conclusions being online doctors and suggesting his career is done and all that? He had soreness in his hip and they wanted to make sure it's not stemmed from something else. He's been through a lot the last couple of years and want to make sure he's diagnosed and treated properly to hopefully get him a long career to benefit him and the team. All the public needs to know or should care about is that he recovers from whatever is ailing him so he can continue his development and progress.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

He's had surgery that required a long recovery time. I don't know what he was able or not able to do, but I doubt he was able to get into full conditioning mode over the summer. 

This is honestly the first time I've heard his training being in question. Hard to imagine players that play 20-30 minutes a night not being well conditioned.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Give it up man. It's so lunatics like you didn't speculate bs like you're doing now. OJ doesn't deserve this crap. Give it a rest and try to support the team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

better to be cautious with oli if his hip is sore they probably gave him a mri or catscan in van to see if it was damaged  seeing he probably needs a bit of massage and physio to loosen up the muscles on that leg. He will be playing lots soon everyone should chill and stop the bs speculation 

• Like 1

I'm a huge OJ fan and was very happy to hear the news that he'll be okay. Hope he can play a solid stretch of games and get a call up not too long from now!

• Burrows 1

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Why do they need to be so public about it? So people can jump to more conclusions being online doctors and suggesting his career is done and all that? He had soreness in his hip and they wanted to make sure it's not stemmed from something else. He's been through a lot the last couple of years and want to make sure he's diagnosed and treated properly to hopefully get him a long career to benefit him and the team. All the public needs to know or should care about is that he recovers from whatever is ailing him so he can continue his development and progress.

I’m not making an argument for or against teams being secretive with their injuries. Just pointing out that being this secretive over something relatively minor is outside the norm.

• Hydration 1

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He's had surgery that required a long recovery time. I don't know what he was able or not able to do, but I doubt he was able to get into full conditioning mode over the summer. 

This is honestly the first time I've heard his training being in question. Hard to imagine players that play 20-30 minutes a night not being well conditioned.

Conditioning and training are not the same thing.  A person can be in fine condition but not trained appropriately to a specific task or purpose.