Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I’m not making an argument for or against teams being secretive with their injuries. Just pointing out that being this secretive over something relatively minor is outside the norm.

Because they wanted to be sure before announcing anything. Benning came out with a press statement saying he's being evaluated and even said it was a lower body issue. I'm not sure what was considered so "secretive" about it. Maybe it took longer to evaluate than in most cases, but as I said they wanted to sure rather than rush a judgement and set him on the wrong path.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Because they wanted to be sure before announcing anything. Benning came out with a press statement saying he's being evaluated and even said it was a lower body issue. I'm not sure what was considered so "secretive" about it. Maybe it took longer to evaluate than in most cases, but as I said they wanted to sure rather than rush a judgement and set him on the wrong path.

In my experience, even with modern technology doctors can often take a very long time to accurately and precisely diagnose some issues. But some posters seem to believe that they have Star Trek type scanners that instantly pinpoint exactly what ails you.

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Conditioning and training are not the same thing.  A person can be in fine condition but not trained appropriately to a specific task or purpose.

Given the context, I kind of assumed that they were referring to cardio training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Because they wanted to be sure before announcing anything. Benning came out with a press statement saying he's being evaluated and even said it was a lower body issue. I'm not sure what was considered so "secretive" about it. Maybe it took longer to evaluate than in most cases, but as I said they wanted to sure rather than rush a judgement and set him on the wrong path.

All I'm saying is that the situation wasn't typical, which seems to imply that management are worried about Juolevi above and beyond the regular player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

All I'm saying is that the situation wasn't typical, which seems to imply that management are worried about Juolevi above and beyond the regular player.

he's got potential over and above the regular player. Our local media is also voracious and they were rightfully imo protecting the kid as much as possible from that. 

  • Hydration 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's got potential over and above the regular player. Our local media is also voracious and they were rightfully imo protecting the kid as much as possible from that. 

I don't buy that it's simply because he's a high end prospect. My gut tells me they were half-expecting it to be something much more serious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't buy that it's simply because he's a high end prospect. My gut tells me they were half-expecting it to be something much more serious. 

it makes sense to me, the kid did have one back surgery already so being cautious was the smart move. Better to plan for the worst and be happy when its not. 

  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the major problem here is that Hips don't lie, just ask Shakira.

 

 

 

:bigblush:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

We never know what would’ve happened had we picked up someone else. Who’s to say Tkatchuk wouldn’t have gotten injured in Utica or on the Canucks, or even busted all together under our development system. These players are all drafted that high because more often than not, they’ll make the bigs. It just so happens that certain players mixed with certain teams may cause for some less than desirable results. 

 

Think of it this way. Who’s to say Calgary wouldn’t have taken Juolevi at #6 and developed him into a bonafide top 2? We don’t know what could’ve or would’ve been, so let’s just try and move on from it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

All I'm saying is that the situation wasn't typical, which seems to imply that management are worried about Juolevi above and beyond the regular player.

Nah, I think it's the fanbase that treats everything OJ related as something above and beyond the regular player.

 

He had a knock, it was announced as a LBI very typical of injury announcements these days, got evaluated, and now back to skating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stamkos said:

We never know what would’ve happened had we picked up someone else. Who’s to say Tkatchuk wouldn’t have gotten injured in Utica or on the Canucks, or even busted all together under our development system. These players are all drafted that high because more often than not, they’ll make the bigs. It just so happens that certain players mixed with certain teams may cause for some less than desirable results. 

 

Think of it this way. Who’s to say Calgary wouldn’t have taken Juolevi at #6 and developed him into a bonafide top 2? We don’t know what could’ve or would’ve been, so let’s just try and move on from it. 

Here's the issue..nobody is talking about MT but now here you are bringing his name up for some reason and it will likely cause a discussion.  The people who want people to forget about it are the same ones who keep bringing it up 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Alflives said:

If it’s not serious, why did he miss a month of play and have to come to Vancouver for evaluation?  Sounds pretty darned serious to me. 

Something rotten in Utica Alf? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Here's the issue..nobody is talking about MT but now here you are bringing his name up for some reason and it will likely cause a discussion.  The people who want people to forget about it are the same ones who keep bringing it up 

Did someone say Tkachuk, I hear that guy is good at hockey.... :ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You injure your left knee...and you overwork your right knee and tear some meniscus...then you tweak your back because you are guarding against injuring your knees again...then your hip gets tired of the argument between your knees and your back...

 

My guess is that he is just trying to hard to protect to much AND he needs some of Baer's Tia-Chi or whatever it is he uses to stay limber...I haven't watched any of his games this year but he has always looked a bit stiff when turning.

 

We will see how does from here...but shutting him down for season or until he gets limbered up at least ...isn't a bad idea.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kanuckfanatic....while I am here I thought I would let you know that the quote you have at the bottom of your sig. ...was qualified by the statement "if he is ready to go" by fall or training camp...Juolevi was not ready to go then and did not play any preseason games...if you want a new quote that reflects the way things really are here ya go;;;;;;

 

Juolevi will (if healthy) make the Canucks out of training camp (barring ill health) next year...as long as he is healthy...!

 

Just watch....!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

You injure your left knee...and you overwork your right knee and tear some meniscus...then you tweak your back because you are guarding against injuring your knees again...then your hip gets tired of the argument between your knees and your back...

 

My guess is that he is just trying to hard to protect to much AND he needs some of Baer's Tia-Chi or whatever it is he uses to stay limber...I haven't watched any of his games this year but he has always looked a bit stiff when turning.

 

We will see how does from here...but shutting him down for season or until he gets limbered up at least ...isn't a bad idea.

The Skeleton Dance - YouTube

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my 2 cents on this situation, the Canucks probably wants to bring him to Vancouver to work on his sore hips in a controlled environment and to strengthen his whole body in a dry training akin to summer training.  He probably missed too much of the summer training.   If he missed too much training, he might need to get some training in without putting in stress with his repaired knee surgery he had from last season caused by sore hips.  If he is experienced that soreness from the games then training is the way to improve your overall strength to recover from sore hips and keeping you in shape.  Training takes time to complete and if you combine the training and playing games, you would not be able to protect your body in that manner.  If you are practicing and playing games only, you are not strengthen your body that way.  If you are training for any sports, you need at least 3-4 weeks of training to be prepared for that specific events and you cannot do that in-season.   This fits in the time-frame that OJ is going through.  Rehabbing and training is not the same and if he was rehabbing in the whole month then he would need time to get some of the training in and would take a bit longer and would not make any sense to practice with the team this week.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few other things may have happened.  

He may have had a PRP or SVF injection which would have kept him out for a little while.

They may have been trying some specialized PT or other therapies and seeing how he responds.  

Pretty reasonable when coming from major back and knee surgeries they need to look at biomechanics and try and correct things like a leg length discrepancy for example or work with him to adjust his stride.

May be temporizing a minor labral tear or something to try to get him through the season since he has missed so much time the last two seasons.

May have had a combo of any of these things.  

Could just have been something private and the hip is the excuse they gave.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.