Sign in to follow this  
b3.

Olli Juolevi | D

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

Why would you trade a proven NHL defender for someone who has proven nothing?

Because if you don't you end up with 65 year old guys trying to keep up with the rest of the league's 20 year olds?

• Haha 1

Try and keep in mind of the 950+ players in the AHL, Juolevi ranks 883 for his +/- Now I understand the frailties of the +/- ranking stat but in the broadest of terms being 883 is not some thing to boast about. Opposing coaches must relish the thought of getting their top line out against OJ. If he's that far down the list in the AHL where would he rank if he played in the NHL?

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Try and keep in mind of the 950+ players in the AHL, Juolevi ranks 883 for his +/- Now I understand the frailties of the +/- ranking stat but in the broadest of terms being 883 is not some thing to boast about. Opposing coaches must relish the thought of getting their top line out against OJ. If he's that far down the list in the AHL where would he rank if he played in the NHL?

Why don't you break that down by position played, years of experience, ice time, and then team goals for and against; and  get back to us?

Edited by gurn
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why don't you break that down by position played, years of experience, ice time, and then team goals for and against; and  get back to us?

I'm OK with the stat I offered if you want more I recommend you look at the AHL stats yourself. But which ever way you dice it, it ain't going to hide the facts, try as you might

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

We have time to make those decisions. Juolevi can play this year in the AHL with a few NHL callups. Rathbone can play all of next year in the AHL if he signs to leave college.

Id trade Tanev and Fantenberg this deadline and run with

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin/Benn/Rafferty rotation

Next year you'd want Juolevi to step in. Therefore, you'd need to trade Benn in order to allow Juolevi to get into the rotation.

Stecher is not a 1st pairing D and should not be playing that many minutes.  He should play 3rd pairing D minutes at most.

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Keep Benn as insurance.  His deal is short and cheap.  As a 6/7 d man he would be excellent.  

Between injuries, expansion, expiring contracts and other roster moves, we will be seeing more than 6 d men play next year.  

Let OJ bake in the AHL.  If he can string together 20 solid games in a row, bring him up for a coffee, get him hungry and let him finish the season in Utica.  

This.  
there is no rush for anything right now.  
let’s enjoy having a tiny bit of d depth, and let Olli heal and grow.  

• Upvote 1

Is OJ another Edler?  I don't mean skill wise I mean injury prone wise. Guess we won't find out until he actually plays a meaningful game in a Canucks uniform.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Cannot have too many D men.  Rathbone will likely get some AHL time.  We will lose someone to Seattle.  Benn is a on a 2 year deal, who knows if Trymakin will actually return or not.  Tanev is on a expiring deal and with the rfa's needing to be signed after next season, I don't think he will be here.  Stecher is another player with decent trade value and is not a core player.  

The only lock on the left side after next year is Hughes.  The only lock on the right side is Myers. As for next year,  both Benn and Trymakin can play either side.  Expecting Rathbone to make it straight out of camp is a reach.  

None of this matters unless OJ can get in a season.  Having a future left side of Hughes, OJ and Rathbone in 2-3 years is not beyond the realm.  Having Tanev sign elsewhere is likely and Stecher could be dangled and won't likely be protected.  If Stecher can't play here, Seattle isn't too far from home.  

BTW Hughes can also play the right side.  

I don’t disagree with what you say, my main point (which may not have been made clearly) is with regard to too many people assuming a Juolevi is a lock for next year - there are a lot of other potential candidates for any available spots now in the Canuck system. I would agree that only Hughes and Myers would be locks at this point. If Tanev can have a healthy season, and if he is still committed to Vancouver, I think the Canucks would be reluctant to move him or expose him to expansion.

https://theahl.com/stats/player-stats/all-teams/65?playertype=skater&position=skaters&rookie=no&sort=plus_minus&statstype=standard&page=48&league=4

Shows Ollie in a twenty way tie with the 877 listed player.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Try and keep in mind of the 950+ players in the AHL, Juolevi ranks 883 for his +/-

Maybe, when dissing a player, use correct stats?

Also there are 29 players tied with minus 6, so with one more plus ollie would be  848, if they listed him first.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

OJ looking good tonight.  Some timely shot blocks and great first passes.  Not shying away from rough stuff at all.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, zimmy said:

Second star tonight. Two assists. 4 shots.+- even, if you're into considering such things. 

I'm sure if one were to try hard enough there would be negatives to point out like 2 minors taken. 

Not a trend yet but any series of good performances has to start somewhere.

2nd star only? Bust!

• Haha 2