The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Just let him play

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

5 points and a +2 in his last 5 games.  Looks like he is coming around.  Defence is the hardest position to play.  Give him some time. He will get there. His hockey IQ is off the charts.  That’s why Benning drafted him.  Remember Benning was a high scoring defenceman as well, drafted 4th overall, so he knows a thing or two about playing defence.  You take the injuries out of the equation and Juolevi is probably playing in the NHL right now.  But what’s done is done.  At least he is healthy now and contributing.  Let’s see how he finishes the year. 

Pretty much guys. No sense just dumping on Juolevi. What happens in his development happens - nothing more, nothing less. No one on this board can do anything to change that; even when being reminded at least once every day about how we drafted Juolevi instead of Tkachuk.

It's as if constantly complaining is like a drug for some people.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Pretty much guys. No sense just dumping on Juolevi. What happens in his development happens - nothing more, nothing less. No one on this board can do anything to change that; even when being reminded at least once every day about how we drafted Juolevi instead of Tkachuk.

It's as if constantly complaining is like a drug for some people.

I’m glad we got Oli, with Tkachuk our draft stock the next year would’ve changed. I’ll take Pete and maybe OJ down the line over Tkachuk and possible not Pete.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

5 points and a +2 in his last 5 games.  Looks like he is coming around.  Defence is the hardest position to play.  Give him some time. He will get there. His hockey IQ is off the charts.  That’s why Benning drafted him.  Remember Benning was a high scoring defenceman as well, drafted 4th overall, so he knows a thing or two about playing defence.  You take the injuries out of the equation and Juolevi is probably playing in the NHL right now.  But what’s done is done.  At least he is healthy now and contributing.  Let’s see how he finishes the year. 

I like the post but Benning being a defenseman and knowing a thing or two about playing defense has not gone so well for him as a GM.

I'd say it has been his weakest attribute as a GM, the defenders he's targeted from Sbisa to Gudbranson to Pouliot. It's a laundry list of bad defenders and even Myers is questionable. Benning has done a nice job of drafting, trading and signing with our forward group to create a decent lineup. Defense.....not so much

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I like the post but Benning being a defenseman and knowing a thing or two about playing defense has not gone so well for him as a GM.

I'd say it has been his weakest attribute as a GM, the defenders he's targeted from Sbisa to Gudbranson to Pouliot. It's a laundry list of bad defenders and even Myers is questionable. Benning has done a nice job of drafting, trading and signing with our forward group to create a decent lineup. Defense.....not so much

To be fair to Benning, I doubt Anaheim's GM would have given up Shea Theodore when he knew Kesler had a 1 team trade list. This trade still upsets me but Sbisa was likely the best Benning could get. Pouliot like Philip Larsen was just a Hail Mary at the Dollar store to insert some mobility on the blueline. 

The Gudbranson trade is the exception and was just absolute garbage. I still can't believe Benning threw away McCann for a pilon and a 2nd. Plus the second round in 2016 had some really interesting prospects. 

If this article is to be believed, this is the logic behind drafting Juolevi. 

https://theathletic.com/1407270/2019/11/25/dhaliwals-diary-kevin-bieksas-job-options-kicking-tires-on-tyson-barrie-and-an-update-on-olli-juolevi/

"The source says the feeling is that the Canucks fell in love with Juolevi early and zeroed in on him all year. And you can’t blame them, —Juolevi was having a great season with the powerhouse London Knights."

"A source tells me that Sergachev was never under serious consideration for the Canucks with the fifth overall pick."

"Another story has the Canucks scouts having issues with defenceman Jakob Chychrun’s hockey sense."

50 minutes ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

To be fair to Benning, I doubt Anaheim's GM would have given up Shea Theodore when he knew Kesler had a 1 team trade list. This trade still upsets me but Sbisa was likely the best Benning could get. Pouliot like Philip Larsen was just a Hail Mary at the Dollar store to insert some mobility on the blueline. 

The Gudbranson trade is the exception and was just absolute garbage. I still can't believe Benning threw away McCann for a pilon and a 2nd. Plus the second round in 2016 had some really interesting prospects. 

If this article is to be believed, this is the logic behind drafting Juolevi. 

https://theathletic.com/1407270/2019/11/25/dhaliwals-diary-kevin-bieksas-job-options-kicking-tires-on-tyson-barrie-and-an-update-on-olli-juolevi/

"The source says the feeling is that the Canucks fell in love with Juolevi early and zeroed in on him all year. And you can’t blame them, —Juolevi was having a great season with the powerhouse London Knights."

"A source tells me that Sergachev was never under serious consideration for the Canucks with the fifth overall pick."

"Another story has the Canucks scouts having issues with defenceman Jakob Chychrun’s hockey sense."

To be fair to Benning, Gudbranson was an absolute monster for Florida in the playoffs in 2015/16. He was the go to guy in the playoffs. In the final 3 games of the playoffs he had the most TOI.

he played just under 21 mins in game 1. 
Played 22 minutes in game 2.

Just under 25 in game 3, then like 30, 33 and 35 in the final 3 games

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

That was a ridiculous feed to Lind last night.

You can see his vision and awareness of off the charts. He makes Quinn Hughes type passes, just whips the puck onto peoples sticks. He is still getting his feet under him, if anyone spent time watching him I think most would come away happy. He is an unfinished product that has been set back by injuries. But his awareness is why we drafted him. If he heals up and can strengthen himself we still have a good defenseman on our hands. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers was a fine pickup as he's allowed Tanev to play less minutes and thus stay healthy all year.  It's no coincidence that Tanev hasn't missed a single game this year due to injury while Myers has been in the lineup.  And we got him for free with no assets to give up so I think it was a solid pickup for Benning.  Hughes was the steal of the draft, Rathbone looks like an absolute steal in the 4th round.  Utunen looks like a player, not bad for a 5th round pick.  Jett Woo has lots of potential to be a top 4 defenceman as a 2nd round pick, Brisebois looks like a solid defensive dman who can play on your 3rd pairing.  Not bad for a 3rd round pick.  Rafferty and Stecher were picked up for free and look like solid players as well.

Juolevi was very good in junior, he didn't miss much time at all due to injury and has a very high hockey IQ.  If it wasn't for the injuries he would be playing in the NHL today.  Gudbranson was a stud in Florida, he led their defencemen with minutes played in the 2016 playoffs.  He was a fearless bone crushing defenceman that was needed on this team, something we did not have.  McCann was regressing in Vancouver so the trade at the time didn't look too bad.  McCann was also traded again to Pittsburgh, so he obviously didn't fit in with Florida either.  He's playing well now but that may be due to the fact that he's playing in a good system on a great team with world class players.

Guys like Sbisa and Pouliot were just filler until other players came in, they were never meant to be long term solutions.

Wow. I'm just impressed.

You should be a politician with the way you managed to make it seem Benning has done absolutely nothing wrong and is perfect in every way.

Bravo

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

His hockey vision and IQ are off the charts.  That's why Benning drafted him.  It's not Benning's fault he got 2 serious injuries in 2 years.  Can't predict that, especially when he never had a serious injury in his career in junior.  If he can stay healthy for the next year or so I can see him replacing Edler at some point in our top 4.  He has a great first pass out of the zone like Hughes, tape to tape.  

Agreed, he is the heir apparent to Edler. We still have a few more years to go. But to me there is a clear succession plan between the two. Even when Olli does get onto our NHL roster I bet Edler sticks around for another season or two to help develop him at the NHL level. I just hope his injuries are in the past now so he can just focus on his development. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Good defense man don't get traded a lot.  They are usually drafted.  Jim has done a good job drafting defense man.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Wow. I'm just impressed.

You should be a politician with the way you managed to make it seem Benning has done absolutely nothing wrong and is perfect in every way.

Bravo

Outside of injury, what's your beef?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Good defense man don't get traded a lot.  They are usually drafted.  Jim has done a good job drafting defense man.

Quinn Hughes is the only defenseman on the roster that Benning has drafted. And please don't just list a bunch of prospects like that's proof that he's doing a good job of it. None of them are stud blue chip prospects. They are good but none are guaranteed NHL players.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Outside of injury, what's your beef?

I don't really have a beef. I was just pointing out that I think it's not an accurate statement to say that since Benning was a defender he knows a lot about what it takes to be a defender in the NHL and therefore he's good at finding NHL level defensive talent. Ironically he's been much better at finding talent for the forward lineup. I didn't think it would be that controversial of an opinion since it seems pretty obvious looking at the defenders that have come and gone. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Agreed, he is the heir apparent to Edler. We still have a few more years to go. But to me there is a clear succession plan between the two. Even when Olli does get onto our NHL roster I bet Edler sticks around for another season or two to help develop him at the NHL level. I just hope his injuries are in the past now so he can just focus on his development. 

Sorry but I don't see OJ replacing Eddy. Eddy is a phyiscal dman who in his prime could be trusted to go up against the other teams top lines and strong players. From what I've seen of OJ he is not engaged enough defensively to do this. He moves the puck real well and could replace what Eddy provided on the PP. I still hope OJ can improve his dzone engagement though as he is still young and working on his game.