The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Juolevi would be in the NHL today if not for the injuries.  C'mon you can't really believe otherwise can you?

Yes you can. Its entirely possible he'd be in the NHL or its possible he'd still be developing in the AHL. Maybe have some call ups but I'm just not sold on Juolevi's foot speed being NHL caliber and I'm not sold that that's because of the injuries

3 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Yes you can. Its entirely possible he'd be in the NHL or its possible he'd still be developing in the AHL. Maybe have some call ups but I'm just not sold on Juolevi's foot speed being NHL caliber and I'm not sold that that's because of the injuries

Well for sure he would have had some call ups at a minimum.  His foot speed was never an issue in Junior.  He's having issues now because of his knee and hip.  I'm sure if he can finish out the year strong and a good summer workout with a skating coach he could have a shot next year at the big club.  We will see.  His vision and hockey IQ are already at an NHL level.  Let's see if he can get that body to perform like his mind.

5 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Quinn Hughes is the only defenseman on the roster that Benning has drafted. And please don't just list a bunch of prospects like that's proof that he's doing a good job of it. None of them are stud blue chip prospects. They are good but none are guaranteed NHL players.

I don't really have a beef. I was just pointing out that I think it's not an accurate statement to say that since Benning was a defender he knows a lot about what it takes to be a defender in the NHL and therefore he's good at finding NHL level defensive talent. Ironically he's been much better at finding talent for the forward lineup. I didn't think it would be that controversial of an opinion since it seems pretty obvious looking at the defenders that have come and gone. 

Considering it takes longer to develop Dmen, I would say Jim is doing something right in drafting Dmen.  I won't go on about examples, as you wanted, but even those in the know like Button on TSN, agree that our dman prospects are quite good.  Again, dmen take a longer time to develop so I think Jim is pretty on schedule.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Considering it takes longer to develop Dmen, I would say Jim is doing something right in drafting Dmen.  I won't go on about examples, as you wanted, but even those in the know like Button on TSN, agree that our dman prospects are quite good.  Again, dmen take a longer time to develop so I think Jim is pretty on schedule.

Not saying I don't believe you but do you have a source for this? I'm just interested.

Button is a bit of a dweeb but I tend to agree with him on a lot of things. :lol:

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well for sure he would have had some call ups at a minimum.  His foot speed was never an issue in Junior.  He's having issues now because of his knee and hip.  I'm sure if he can finish out the year strong and a good summer workout with a skating coach he could have a shot next year at the big club.  We will see.  His vision and hockey IQ are already at an NHL level.  Let's see if he can get that body to perform like his mind.

It takes time to play into game shape.  OJ isn't a NHL regular needing to recover, he has to recover, catch up and improve his physical abilities this year.  That's alot to accomplish in one season.  

Given that he has managed to play in over 20 games, I expect that he has likely recovered fully, now he needs to catch up.  A lot of Gym time off the ice with core strength as a focus I hope.  Just send him to Hoglanders offseasons core strength training camp.  Always room for another juggler.  

I am most interested is seeming how OJ finishes this season vs starting it.  

If he can reach the 50g mark with no significant games lost, it's a win.  His offence is not in question, his IQ is excellent and he has been a good defender in other levels.  That should catch up as he gains in strength and stamina.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Not saying I don't believe you but do you have a source for this? I'm just interested.

Button is a bit of a dweeb but I tend to agree with him on a lot of things. :lol:

He is on 1040 regularly and he discussed it sometime over the last few weeks.  I can't remember what day it was though. :)

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

He is on 1040 regularly and he discussed it sometime over the last few weeks.  I can't remember what day it was though. :)

I heard Button say that OJ, at this point, must be considered a bustaroo.  He did clarify by saying OJ has injuries get in the way of his development though. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

It takes time to play into game shape.  OJ isn't a NHL regular needing to recover, he has to recover, catch up and improve his physical abilities this year.  That's alot to accomplish in one season.  

Given that he has managed to play in over 20 games, I expect that he has likely recovered fully, now he needs to catch up.  A lot of Gym time off the ice with core strength as a focus I hope.  Just send him to Hoglanders offseasons core strength training camp.  Always room for another juggler.  

I am most interested is seeming how OJ finishes this season vs starting it.  

If he can reach the 50g mark with no significant games lost, it's a win.  His offence is not in question, his IQ is excellent and he has been a good defender in other levels.  That should catch up as he gains in strength and stamina.  

Ever since I've started watching him I've had serious questions about his understanding of how to pick up his check in front of the net and determine where and how to cover the cycle. I see him repeatedly leaving his post in front of the net and getting sucked out while an opponent is left wide open in the danger area. Similarly, I've seen him remain in front of the net, however, not really mark his check who still gets to puck and a chance on net(reminds me of a former player). 

Has anyone else noticed this or noticed if he has improved at all? I've only seen 2 games this year but these things are coachable.

Anyways. Go Juo Go. I really hope he makes it.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ever since I've started watching him I've had serious questions about his understanding of how to pick up his check in front of the net and determine where and how to cover the cycle. I see him repeatedly leaving his post in front of the net and getting sucked out while an opponent is left wide open in the danger area. Similarly, I've seen him remain in front of the net, however, not really mark his check who still gets to puck and a chance on net(reminds me of a former player). 

Has anyone else noticed this or noticed if he has improved at all? I've only seen 2 games this year but these things are coachable.

Anyways. Go Juo Go. I really hope he makes it.

Yup.  OJ sometimes gets out of position in the D zone.  However, D can be taught.  You can’t teach 6’3” 200 plus, high offensive skills, compete, and IQ.  OJ is still physically and mentally maturing.  He’s going to be one heck of a player.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  OJ sometimes gets out of position in the D zone.  However, D can be taught.  You can’t teach 6’3” 200 plus, high offensive skills, compete, and IQ.  OJ is still physically and mentally maturing.  He’s going to be one heck of a player.  

Cool. That's what I figure. He has all the tools to figure it out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

he said that it's not wrong to consider him a bust or something like that, that was during his 4 weeks absence with his hip problem.

btw, since he came back from that injury, he's played 11 games and has 8 points.

so since coming back he has 8 points in 11 games.  

same guy that had jake virtanen ranked 41st in the draft.  Now I am not trying disrespect him, but he's not always right either. Sure I understand he didn't like Virtanens game in 2014, but he is now smoking sam Bennet and Dal cole out of the park and has more points then both those guys combined, and he was drafted lower.  

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Alf, What happened with Pouliot then? He was considered that and a 8th OA 

Guddy was a 3 OA pick too

He may turn into another Haydn Fleury 7OA too

Until he proves himself as a bona fide NHL player, there is no point comparing him as heir to Edler who has proven himself

The league is full of top draft picks who have failed NHL careers, it happens

No point in bringing him into the NHL just because he was a 6th OA and he struggles and fails, best to let him get hopefully confidence playing AHL

I bet Benning gets him into a few games this year to expose him on just what he needs to work on to be successful in the NHL

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Until he proves himself as a bona fide NHL player, there is no point comparing him as heir to Edler who has proven himself

No point in bringing him into the NHL just because he was a 6th OA and he struggles and fails, best to let him get hopefully confidence playing AHL

I bet Benning gets him into a few games this year to expose him on just what he needs to work on to be successful in the NHL

Pouliot is a good comparable, but not Guddy.  Pouliot has a very low hockey IQ.  OJ’s hockey IQ is off the charts.  Can’t teach processing things quickly.  OJ will pick up on the subtle D parts of the game, and still have his elite offensive.  

5 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

This post really has no relation to his post, yeah, picks definitely fail but he has the underlying tool set for sure. Size, skating, smarts, poise, pedigree. I don't see him mentioning that he should be brought up. Like recent comments, if he can get 50 games in, hopefully playoffs, and start to make an impact defensively it would be a huge step in his development, and like you said a taste of NHL action would be great too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Some observations based on the 15 - 18 games I have watched on the TV package:

>  he is an elite passer with great vision - but ..... somewhat like Edler, he can slow the game down in the d-zone, always believing that he can outlet pass at any time.  Most of the time he can,  but maybe 10% of the time he gets enough pressure on him that he coughs up the puck with a forced pass to nowhere 

>  skating speed really isn't an issue.  Sure, he is not Bailey-fast, but isn't often beaten on an icing call.  And on offensive carries, more than holds his own going up ice.

>  for a big body, doesn't hit often, but when he does, they are heavy hits

>  alluded to in earlier posts,  but biggest issue seems to be positional awareness.  Sometimes will go to cover the same man as his partner; can be slow to recognize a developing threat; will sometimes lose his man on a goal mouth scramble and end up behind the net covering nobody

>  offense is definitely his strength, but Cull is using him in all situations. - 1st unit PP, 1st unit PK and in regular 5 - 5's

>  hasn't jelled yet with any particular partner.  Rafferty (pairing the  best +/- with the worst) would be the most obvious, but both play a similar style, and Rafferty is partnering  so well with Teves, so why break that up? So he gets a revolving series of Chatfield, Sautner, Beezer on the PP and occasionally Blujus

Summarizing, he is no Jovocop or Salo, but probably an upgrade over Sbisa or Hutton.  Hasn't dominated the AHL like Bobby Sanguinetti did in 14/15, (but that didnt earn him a promotion to the big club).  He may be another Pouliot, but could well be a reliable 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman.

Thanks Googlie.

Upon reflection I guess if we get a 6"3 220 lb defender who plays for 10-12 years on the third line but still contributes 30-40 points it would still be helpful to the team. If his defence improves, which I sure hope it will.  

I still have hopes that it just clicks for him. Sooner than later though ... B)

• Upvote 1