The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

So strange who doesn't post on this thread when OJ does well.... odd.

It’s kind of obvious who the real Canuck’s fans are, isn’t it?  We all can have moments of frustration and type negative stuff, but us real fans admit when we’re wrong, and are damned happy about it.  The under the bridge dwellers simply change the focus if their hatred.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I hope not, I don’t think that would be fair. Since he came back from his last injury he has been more physical, but that is not generally his style - mostly he had been playing a European style of closing on you and limiting your options, but since coming back he has been faster in closing and appears generally more mobile. Now, he does not have the swift, fluid skating of Rafferty - but he does have great vision and quick thinking - especially on attack, and he is reading plays better. He is much more like the guy we saw playing in the world juniors and in the Finnish top pro league. Definitely have my fingers crossed that he can finish this season’s n healthy, then have a great off-season of training- love to see him make the Canucks next year. It would also be interesting to see how paired with Rafferty for a few games still this season - having a few games with our smartest D men in Utica playing together might be illuminating.

Exactly! I went into this season simply wanting Joulevi to play a full season and thought his ppg was incidental. He doesn't need NHL games this year. A nice Calder run and as you said a off season building his body. Rafferty on the otherhand can use some NHL games. My fear with the Canucks is that a playoff run short changes the prospects. Playoffs for the Canucks are also valuable but Benning might hang onto players in lieu of trading them to make space for younger prospects. Asset management is becoming more important as Benning now has assets that he can develop or trade. What Benning has accomplished over his tenure is truly impressive. The most depth I have seen in the org in 50 years.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Have you read his stat line the last 10 that’s a pretty good track

Not enough hits will be the next stat

He had one huge hit last night that drew gasps from the fans and a "WOW" from the broadcast team

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

OJ is going to be a nice addition to our top four once he fully matures.  

I hope so, my two remaining concerns are his health (which has a huge effect on his fitness) and his quickness (top end speed doesn’t matter so much for a defenceman) compared to his first three step quickness (which controls his ability to re-position and close opponents down). His strong virtues are his smarts, his offensive reads, great transition and passing. He seems to be strong enough - had an unusual great hit last night. Maybe that is a harbinger of things to come with being healthy. He sure has the frame to be a strong guy at 6’3” and about 200 pounds - he could probably take another fifteen pounds if it doesn’t affect his mobility. An Edlerish sized D with great smarts and passing sure wouldn’t hurt the Canucks long term prospects - especially if he added in a bit of physicality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Meh, more importantly he was +3, and now just -2 for the season.

What will there to be to complain about when he gets back to positive?  Will he be abandoned as the reigning bustaroo, and if so, who's next on deck?

Definitely a good sign he's getting into the positives, with his lack of foot speed it will be interesting to see if he can either get faster or be able to simply be smart enough to defend at the NHL level. 

1 hour ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Indeed:

The "narrative" is dying a rightful death, same as it did for Jake and his "#brutalIQ".  I guess there's still #lazybrock and #skinnypete.

I think many of us consider him almost "found money" after all this lost time, but what a difference in the outlook of our D if he's able to come in and be a career solid top-4.

Ovi  had a year that he was -35 still made playoff and I don’t think his team was clowning him

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Definitely a good sign he's getting into the positives, with his lack of foot speed it will be interesting to see if he can either get faster or be able to simply be smart enough to defend at the NHL level. 

He was taken off the #1 Powerplay yesterday after second time of not holding the puck at the blue line.  Second time had to be bailed out by Mikey as he hopelessly lost the foot race back against a speedy Wolfpacker.  Beezer replaced him and subsequently he played second unit paired with the speedier Mitch Eliot 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He was taken off the #1 Powerplay yesterday after second time of not holding the puck at the blue line.  Second time had to be bailed out by Mikey as he hopelessly lost the foot race back against a speedy Wolfpacker.  Beezer replaced him and subsequently he played second unit paired with the speedier Mitch Eliot 

It's to be expected that his foot speed has been effected by the injuries; especially knee surgery.  I've been reviewing the his scouting reports lately and never once did I read anything about his speed being a weakness.  Mostly 'smooth skater with good edgework' is what I saw.  Nothing awe inspiring, but certainly not considered slow in any way.

Hopefully he can regain his leg strength and flexibility, which would help his skating immensely.  It will take some time increase his speed (if he can), so in the meantime, he will have to rely on his elite IQ to keep with opposing players.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Sounds like a perfect Edler replacement. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Haha 3