The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

Anyone have a good objective opinion/observation of how he is doing at the moment?

OJ is great, and will be a top four D man on our three Cup winning teams this decade.  (See, completely objective.)

This is a friggin’ Canuck’s board.  You will get us true fans views, or Troll views.  Unless you’re trying to call on the Trolls, of course.  

On 1/21/2020 at 2:54 AM, Gawdzukes said:

Edler is awesome. I used to dis him. That is because he has all the tools but his biggest flaw is he can be beat when he's tired. I don't dis him anymore he provides so much toughness and in the corner ride your head into the boards play. No one else can do that. People literally don't want to play against him.

Something that turned me around on Edler is that in previous years he has shown flaws - bad pinches, putting slapshots from the point into defenders pads only to have the puck pop out behind him. But even as a distinguished veteran, he worked to improve his game - rarely now do you see him make bad pinches, rarely do you see those big slappers, mostly now you see low wristers from him off the point - the kind of shots that players will stand in front of the net without fear of having their head taken off - and we see his wristers deliberately directed at players for the tip.  That Hughes has been able to take the first PP unit and give it a style, Edler has taken the second unit and made it effective using the rush and forwards driving the net for the tip.  Lately the second unit has been the more effective of the two - of course playing against the send PK unit can help there too.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Something that turned me around on Edler is that in previous years he has shown flaws - bad pinches, putting slapshots from the point into defenders pads only to have the puck pop out behind him. But even as a distinguished veteran, he worked to improve his game - rarely now do you see him make bad pinches, rarely do you see those big slappers, mostly now you see low wristers from him off the point - the kind of shots that players will stand in front of the net without fear of having their head taken off - and we see his wristers deliberately directed at players for the tip.  That Hughes has been able to take the first PP unit and give it a style, Edler has taken the second unit and made it effective using the rush and forwards driving the net for the tip.  Lately the second unit has been the more effective of the two - of course playing against the send PK unit can help there too.

As fans we often look at the mechanics of the game to judge the effectiveness of a player. IMHO what is ignored to some extent is the players emotional approach. At the NHL level all players want to win but their intellectual approaches can vary widely. From a Zach Kassian to a Loui Ericksson the divide can be huge. When I look at Alex Edler it seems he has a huge desire to win which manifests in trying to make a dif in the past by making higher risk plays. As you pointed out this approach has been dialed back. He has a stronger roster that he can rely on and less TOI which IMO compliments his game rather than hurts. 

We don't know what the depth will be when Edler's current contract expires. I would not be surprised to see him re-up on 1 year deals.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As fans we often look at the mechanics of the game to judge the effectiveness of a player. IMHO what is ignored to some extent is the players emotional approach. At the NHL level all players want to win but their intellectual approaches can vary widely. From a Zach Kassian to a Loui Ericksson the divide can be huge. When I look at Alex Edler it seems he has a huge desire to win which manifests in trying to make a dif in the past by making higher risk plays. As you pointed out this approach has been dialed back. He has a stronger roster that he can rely on and less TOI which IMO compliments his game rather than hurts. 

We don't know what the depth will be when Edler's current contract expires. I would not be surprised to see him re-up on 1 year deals.  

One year contracts may work well both for Edler and the Canucks as we transition in new players and Edler’s workload is eased. If we reach the point where Edler is our third pairing Left D, that would be a pretty darned nice place to be in.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Does that really say much? I mean it's nice, but not important. 

I'd say it is pretty impressive that he is on top of that list as a Dman with over 50 games and 2 injury riddled seasons. He is beating out offensive forwards like Dahlen and Shinkaruk, Jasek, Lind etc. Shinkaruk was near the top of the AHL in scoring when he was with the comets. I don't know how transferable that is for forwards heading to the NHL as Virtanen is the only NHLer on that list and is ranked 17th. Juolevi leading the way as a dman is at the very least positive.

I think the comment about him being excellent at shot blocking and on the PK was really promising.

Him having a good first pass is something I think all of us already knew as well as being patient with the puck. 

I am interested in his PP point shot. I would like to see him develop this as a weapon like Salo did. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Davathor said:

And hes only +1 better than the worst U-22 in comets history, and in mich fewer games!!!

You should check out this Matthew Thiessen asshole and his stats on the prospect page. 25.99 GAA, .500SV%. So easy to hate on, and so little effort required.

Really the biggest bang for your buck. :frantic:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Davathor said:

And hes only +1 better than the worst U-22 in comets history, and in mich fewer games!!!

You know, when you are saying stupidly negative things about Canucks players /prospects to troll the Canucks fans, you should try not to get so excited that you drool like that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think the comment about him being excellent at shot blocking and on the PK was really promising.

Him having a good first pass is something I think all of us already knew as well as being patient with the puck. 

I am interested in his PP point shot. I would like to see him develop this as a weapon like Salo did.  

He hasn't gone a clapper, more like a seeing eye kind of shot I think