The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

17 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

From https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-season-opening-roster-breakdown-facts-and-figures/c-309686396

By percentage, skaters are younger than goalies. Of the 626 skaters, 483 (77.2 percent) are less than 30 years old; 143 (22.8 percent) are 30 or older. 

So according to the NHL itself, 23% of skaters in the NHL are 30 or older.  Your statement is completely wrong or at the very minimum extremely exaggerated.  23% is quite high.

"a very low %" would be under 5% in my opinion.

I didn’t say above age 30, I said 32. There was only 52 players at the beginning of the season over the age of 32... I’d imagine there’s a bit more now... what with birthdays and whatnot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this thread is hilarious. We have people calling OJ a bust at 5th oa because of injuries and not looking at his actual performance numbers in Europe and the AHL which are good, and we have a real example of a bust at 4th oa who was given every chance to succeed in the NHL.

And we have people who can’t tell the difference... although I’m not good at articulation most times. So I guess I’ll say; I hope this kid salvages a good NHL career.

• Cheers 2

I think he's played well since his last stretch of injury, he's finally picked up his defensive play and is more physically engaged than I've ever seen.  I do think he needs to improve his skating however, maybe needs to go to Horvat's skating coach in the offseason.  An interesting prospect to keep tabs on...I'm not sure if I see him as more than a bottom pairing defenceman at the NHL level but hopefully he proves me wrong.

I don't care about lists of top 5 picks who have had an unimpeded developmental path to the NHL.  These players failed to become NHL players solely because they simply did not have the skill set required.  The only 2 players that I can think of that can be likened to OJs situation are: Gabe Viraldi and Nolan Patrick.

Vilardi was commonly projected to be (at least) a top 5 pick in his draft, but slipped down to #11, due to being injured at the time.  He has yet to play in the NHL and has recently started playing in the OHL (25 games).

Patrick has fared better than OJ or GV, but he surely has been a disappointment to Flyer fans so far.  With no improvement in his 1st two season and now facing yet another injury (he hasn't played a single game this season), his career is has certainly been derailed (hopefully temporarily).

So yeah, there is the potential that these players will have varying degrees of success, despite the struggles they have endured.  Whether they can reach their projected level of play remains to be seen.

The impact of an injury and subsequent rehabilitation has the obvious physical consequences, but is also an extremely emotional experience (especially for a prospect that had had NHL dreams for most of his life).  The struggles these 3 players have endured should not be discounted.

Comparing these 3 players to others that have enjoyed an unhampered development time frame, is really unfair.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

I think he's played well since his last stretch of injury, he's finally picked up his defensive play and is more physically engaged than I've ever seen.  I do think he needs to improve his skating however, maybe needs to go to Horvat's skating coach in the offseason.  An interesting prospect to keep tabs on...I'm not sure if I see him as more than a bottom pairing defenceman at the NHL level but hopefully he proves me wrong.

I keep saying this ...but it needs to said over and over again...his knee, hip and back injuries have kept him with a stiff gait and from turning smoothly...give him a few months too a year to get everything working together smoothly and his skating will improve immensely...!

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

So out of that list of top 5 players only 6 aren't in the nhl.

Byram turcotte OJ puljujarvi yak Reinhart. 

Doesn't look great lol.

Dal Colle had some big issues.  He may have had a cup of coffee in the NHL prior to his D+4 year.  That's one off the top of head.  

How many top 5 picks were d men?  Makar took 2 years and entered the league in his D+3 year.  

Hayton is not in the NHL... no doubt he will be, Ryan Strome struggled to get a regular spot.  

The only reason I emphasised the lie is that posters claimed he was the only top 5 pick to never play in the NHL... ironic that he is still a prospect, in the last 20 years.

Ohlund was derided by hacks until he crossed the pond.  

Had OJ not tore up his knee, this whole incessant arguement would be nulled.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Dal Colle had some big issues.  He may have had a cup of coffee in the NHL prior to his D+4 year.  That's one off the top of head.  

How many top 5 picks were d men?  Makar took 2 years and entered the league in his D+3 year.  

Hayton is not in the NHL... no doubt he will be, Ryan Strome struggled to get a regular spot.  

The only reason I emphasised the lie is that posters claimed he was the only top 5 pick to never play in the NHL... ironic that he is still a prospect, in the last 20 years.

Ohlund was derided by hacks until he crossed the pond.  

Had OJ not tore up his knee, this whole incessant arguement would be nulled.  

I'm not even reading past this lol. Have a good day man.

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

And we have people who can’t tell the difference... although I’m not good at articulation most times. So I guess I’ll say; I hope this kid salvages a good NHL career.

I think he will. He's got the main thing that you can't really teach, IQ. He'll be fine and it will be a pleasure to see some critics fall silent. I really never expect a d prospect to make it as a regular before the age of 23. Had OJ not had injuries I think he's on the team by now. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

* No longer on active roster.

He was lent to the wjc and got hurt. It's not like he didnt make the the nhl which is what we're talking about here. 

He has 4 pts in 14 games and +1 and led team canada to a gold medal. Are we really putting him in the same category as yakupov?

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He was lent to the wjc and got hurt. It's not like he didnt make the the nhl which is what we're talking about here. 

He has 4 pts in 14 games and +1 and led team canada to a gold medal. Are we really putting him in the same category as yakupov?

...Are we really putting Yakupov in the same thread as Juolevi....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I had no idea he was injured, but he sure was terrific in the WJC.

As a 2018 draft pick, it would be ridiculous to consider a player a bust regardless of NHL entry.

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It seems kind of lazy to me to use trends as the ultimate indicator of whether or not a player will make it. Seems to me that looking at the player individually would be a much stronger indicator of what that players chances are. 

For sure... it’s the old correlation does not equal causation.  

Just because other (arbitrary draft position didn’t make it in arbitrary seasons after draft) doesn’t mean anything with regards to predicting an individual’s career.

I’m pretty sure people crapped on Jake with the same logic... As a 6 OA he hasn’t broken out by his “draft+ whatever” year so he’s a career 4th liner / replacement player.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OJ had a really strong game last night in a tight 3-2 loss but he was one of, if not the, best Comet on the ice.   Looking very comfortable in his own end right now.   Really showing some nice urgency with his game.

Great to hear.  Give him time

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Great to hear.  Give him time

OJ is going to be such a strong asset to add when he is ready.  I'd imagine he will get a good look at camp, and be up before the new year.  JB is going to have a few tough choices when it comes to our D next year.  Have to figure OJ, Rafferty, and potentially Tryamkin are all going to be in the mix.  Meyers, Edler, Hughes are all locks, Tanev is likely resigned, and Stecher is likely gone. Does JB see OJ, Rafferty or Tryamkin as upgrades to Benn, Fentenberg, and potentially Tanev?  OJ and Rafferty would give us a 3 million in cap space if we got rid of Benn and Stecher.    How much would that hurt the team on the ice?  I imagine a D of:

Tanev Hughes

Edler OJ/Rafferty/Tryamkin

Meyers OJ/Rafferty/Tryamkin

On paper, I like that alot.

• Upvote 2

Interesting look.  Rafferty is probably ready for a look, but I wouldn't want him or OJ as a seventh D, they need lots of playing time to still develop, and I don't see Tryamkin sticking around to play the spare. So likely still need 1 of Stetcher, Benn or Fantenberg as 7th D....probably Fantenberg.

Are either Rafferty or OJ waiver exempt next year? That'll play a big role.

19 hours ago, BCNate said:

OJ is going to be such a strong asset to add when he is ready.  I'd imagine he will get a good look at camp, and be up before the new year.  JB is going to have a few tough choices when it comes to our D next year.  Have to figure OJ, Rafferty, and potentially Tryamkin are all going to be in the mix.  Meyers, Edler, Hughes are all locks, Tanev is likely resigned, and Stecher is likely gone. Does JB see OJ, Rafferty or Tryamkin as upgrades to Benn, Fentenberg, and potentially Tanev?  OJ and Rafferty would give us a 3 million in cap space if we got rid of Benn and Stecher.    How much would that hurt the team on the ice?  I imagine a D of:

Tanev Hughes

Edler OJ/Rafferty/Tryamkin

Meyers OJ/Rafferty/Tryamkin

On paper, I like that alot.

I doubt there will be enough CAP space to re-sign Tanev. 

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I doubt there will be enough CAP space to re-sign Tanev. 

Jim Benning gets paid huge money to figure things like that out.  If JB wants Tanev back and Tanev wants to stay, JB will make it work. Simple as that.

Anyway, back to Olli talk in his thread lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2