The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I suspect the "plan" is Edler plays until the end of 2021 season, and Juolevi suppose to be phased in by the start of 2021 2022 season.

I highly doubt that they wait that long with Juolevi when the plan was to get him to the NHL last Christmas. The succession plan is hard to understand right now with a crowded roster but I'm sure they want to get some of these kids in sooner than later.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:27 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

OJ had a really strong game last night in a tight 3-2 loss but he was one of, if not the, best Comet on the ice.   Looking very comfortable in his own end right now.   Really showing some nice urgency with his game.

Wow, it sounds like you actually watched the game. Get out of here with your insight!

On 2/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Tanev wants to re-sign here per his agent.

Healthy Tanev is always going to be welcome back. 

But, he only played 55, 42, 53, 69, 70, 64 games going back 6 seasons. Given his injury history, anything above 6M doesn't make much sense, especially with Edler getting 6M. I'd say 3 years x 5M? It's a modest raise and Tanev gets 3 year term to show that he can stay effective into his 30's.

Signing Tanev means, we won't be re-signing Stecher, which makes a spot available for Tryamkin. Then, next season Olli will take over Fantenberg's spot.

Edler-Myers (22+ minutes)

Hughes-Tanev (21+ minutes)

Juolevi-Tryamkin (17+ minutes)

Can also switch up Tanev and Tryamkin to give Hughes more physical/size support and OJ more stable defensive partner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

But, he only played 55, 42, 53, 69, 70, 64 games going back 6 seasons. Given his injury history, anything above 6M doesn't make much sense, especially with Edler getting 6M. I'd say 3 years x 5M? It's a modest raise and Tanev gets 3 year term to show that he can stay effective into his 30's.

Signing Tanev means, we won't be re-signing Stecher, which makes a spot available for Tryamkin. Then, next season Olli will take over Fantenberg's spot.

Can also switch up Tanev and Tryamkin to give Hughes more physical/size support and OJ more stable defensive partner.

He may have to take a bit of a pay cut and accept a shorter term deal but I think something will be worked out.

1 hour ago, khay said:

I'd like to see Tanev do what he has done for Hughes with OJ. I'd probably switch up Tryamkin and Tanev and balance out the minutes more. 21-20-19. I think Tryamkin eats up some of the PK time which lowers the minutes of Myers while I'd like to see OJ take some 2nd unit PP time and likely some PK time (as he's being groomed to do now) to lower Edler and even Myers' minutes also. If that happens, it could even get to more of 20-20-20 split with Edler and Myers focusing mostly on even strength time.

Don't sleep on Rathbone too. I could see Brisebois being the 7th dman when it gets to this point.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, Knucklehd said:

Interesting look.  Rafferty is probably ready for a look, but I wouldn't want him or OJ as a seventh D, they need lots of playing time to still develop, and I don't see Tryamkin sticking around to play the spare. So likely still need 1 of Stetcher, Benn or Fantenberg as 7th D....probably Fantenberg.

Are either Rafferty or OJ waiver exempt next year? That'll play a big role.

I agree with this, even though I still question Juolevi’s skating - which is AHL average.  He can bring the offence, he is great at the pass, and thinks fast and has good vision of the PP, he even has a decent, but not great, shot. But that is without a full off-season of training for the past two years, so for me at least, the book on a Juolevi is still unfinished.  We can see what Rafferty and Tryamkin bring, but we need to imagine how their games fit with the modern NHL for defencemen.  We can see how Rafferty skates compared to Baertschi and Goldobin - he is a better skater than either of them and it was not their skating that kept those ex NHLers out of the show. Juolevi’s skating is not at that level at present - I’d love to see him finish the season healthy, have a healthy off season to train and develop his skating and his core strength.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I agree with this, even though I still question Juolevi’s skating - which is AHL average.  He can bring the offence, he is great at the pass, and thinks fast and has good vision of the PP, he even has a decent, but not great, shot. But that is without a full off-season of training for the past two years, so for me at least, the book on a Juolevi is still unfinished.  We can see what Rafferty and Tryamkin bring, but we need to imagine how their games fit with the modern NHL for defencemen.  We can see how Rafferty skates compared to Baertschi and Goldobin - he is a better skater than either of them and it was not their skating that kept those ex NHLers out of the show. Juolevi’s skating is not at that level at present - I’d love to see him finish the season healthy, have a healthy off season to train and develop his skating and his core strength.

I'm not gonna pretend like I watch every Utica game but I'm almost 100% sure that's an exaggeration on Juolevi's skating ability. He's been known as a strong smooth skater since his draft and I haven't seen any complain of his skating anywhere else. He also plays a different style of game, not a rush player, more of the silky smooth first pass guy.

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, khay said:

Even if you prorated that $5m to the amount of games played on average history (not over the 80 games) that is very decent money

One thing though is that he is hurt because he sacrificing his body  isn't it?

He could argue, had I just played it safe, I could have played more, to make more

I am sure the team would say, yes, but you would have been less effective too, with lesser money all along, had you played that way :)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

With Fantenberg out, I wonder if management would call up Juolevi for a short stint, even just a couple games.  We could slot in Benn and/or call up Sautner or Brisebois, but it’s pretty obvious what we have in those three.  Rafferty is the only other one with top 4 potential, but he needs a RD spot.  Giving Juolevi a small taste of NHL could help him set concrete goals for the summer — like it did for Boeser/ Hughes — and allow the top brass better gauge his development timeline. 

Breezer, imo

• Cheers 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:07 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

How many games have you watched this year? Can you comment on Craig Button's list of top 5 Canucks prospects and it doesn't include Juolevi.