The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They're not even credible rumors. Freid just speculated.

I bet we were in on Simmonds as a backup plan until the Toffoli trade and now it's just a continued rumour from that. Only way I see us adding Simmonds at this point especially for the suggested return is that we are dumping Eriksson or something as well. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Have to think that if Juolevi is being dangled, then Rathbone is signing at the end of this year and has a legitimate shot at making the team within the next couple of years. With Edler and Hughes in front on LD, there really is only one spot left for the two (Brisebois could be a stop gap bottom pairing guy until Edler retires). So I could see Juolevi being shopped, but I would expect a better return than just Simmonds or Wood. I imagine if this were in the talks that we must have a serious cap dump going back the other way involved. Which would make sense if we are shipping out a bottom 6 cap dump and replacing with a short term bottom 6 player.

Woo in the rumours kinda surprises me. RD isn't a strong area for us.

Something around Stecher and OJ for Severson....Something like that might have legs but for freaking Simmonds?! People should be embarrassed to even come to that conclusion :picard: 

I would think if Benning was thinking of trading Juolevi he would want something significant in return. Like a top 4 defenceman who’s young with term. Risto would help up tremendously in our playoff push. Not sure what Buffalo would want but I’m assuming they’d want two of our younger prospects. 

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If they are down on Juolevi, it would be better using him to unload a contract than bring in another rental. 

If we use OJ as sweetener in dumping Loui, that creates 6 mil we use to sign Tofu.  Then the trade is basically Madden and OJ for a signed Tofu.  That’s a good trade.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If they are down on Juolevi, it would be better using him to unload a contract than bring in another rental. 

That's how I felt about Madden too, but bringing in Toffoli with Boeser injured is much more reasonable than bringing in Simmonds/Wood. 

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That's how I felt about Madden too, but bringing in Toffoli with Boeser injured is much more reasonable than bringing in Simmonds/Wood. 

I was just surprised they traded Madden, b/c cost controlled players are what we need. But maybe that should've been the play.

Toffoli is a good player, so that aside, if they are moving any more prominent futures it should be to get out from under money so we can sign Toffoli & co. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I was just surprised they traded Madden, b/c cost controlled players are what we need. But maybe that should've been the play.

Toffoli is a good player, so that aside, if they are moving any more prominent futures it should be to get out from under money so we can sign Toffoli & co. 

You wouldn't be interested in say an upgrade on D? A guy similar to the defensive version of Miller? Legit top 4, mid 20's, with a few years on an affordable deal left?

Not only would that help immensely with any run this year, it would also do wonders with leverage for re-signing Tanev, and insulation in case he walks. (This would likely require also moving some of our young players soon due raises like Stecher, Virtanen etc).

I don't think anyone's suggesting we move ALL our cost controlled prospects (particularly some of the top ones like Podz etc)...but theoretically, if we play our cards right, we could move a few (Madden plus one or two more) and still have the deepest prospect pool this organization has ever seen AND a damn good NHL team. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You guys are like kids in a candy shop...………...

We are tight to the cap, and you are just piling more on!

:picard:

Lol, exactly

History to repeat?

We once had a top team in scoring, defending, pp, pk and odds on favorite to win the cup etc.

Gilles went all in trading picks and if not for injuries, we would have had our Cup

When we didn't get it, people complain that we had nothing in the cupboard

We have promising prospects now that may turn out or may not (so don't stop collecting them)

As Torts said we became stale, (because we couldn't move them for anything, we had nothing to offer)

If you don't keep restocking the shelves, the product will get stale

We were handcuffed signing core players to long term contracts (to keep under cap) and no picks or prospects to off load (or could afford too)

We now load up on expensive players who aren't producing after signing  and will continue to for years to come , while either  playing on the team, AHL or on retired contracts taking up salary cap and then keep signing other expensive players

Is the plan to offload more prospects and promising assets and draft picks to trade these guys to make room to keep the guys you NOW want? (I sure hope not)

As I stated before, you can't keep chasing injuries late into the season trading assets for injured returning players (what do you give away if EP or Hughes gets hurt now, just to save the season)?

You need the younger guys and others to grasp the opportunity and excel

The team does not owe it to the players, the players are paid to perform, injuries happen

It is a 2 way street, Ownership could say to EACH one of them

You know injuries happen, if you want to be on a winning team, our salary cap is $80+mil

If you All take 10% less we can afford more high end players (see how that is received)

I loved when Burrows said in 2010 (I believe)  when he signed for cheap, if we all take less we can stay together as a team, He was chastised by the NHLPA for saying that

But that desire Burrows had to win is what I loved about him, he was a guy who was never expected to play in the NHL but had the desire and drive to do what it took to make it happen - Those are the kind of guys you want

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Cheers 1