The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

11 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

This is another area (imo) that JB excells in, i.e. making decisions on prospects that are not going to make it to the big club, or who garner more in trade than they will produce in the NHL, and adjusting the balance between the demands of the NHL team and the needs of the development processes.

I love this aspect of Benning's management; just look at all the good trades he has already made moving lesser lights out.

I hope you are right because a legit top 4 D (preferably right side) would complete the rebuild for this year and set us up for playoff successes.

I mean I think the chances are relatively low given how teams are loath to give up solid, young D. But I'm sure Benning's looking.

And Boeser's injury complicates things for doing something like this at the TDL, as I believe we'd likely have to give up Virtanen to make something like this happen and we arguably need the RW depth with Boeser out (and TBH, I'd like to see what playoff Virtanen looks like before possibly moving him).  But I'd not be opposed to something like Stecher + Virtanen + Juolevi for Ristolainen. Or Stecher + Virtanen + Brisebois for Severson (or something along those lines).

Of course, if we manage to re-sign Toffoli, there's also the much debated possibility of moving Boeser for a D (who could arguably fetch a guy like Risto pretty much straight across or someone even better if packaged).

Edited by aGENT

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Stecher + Virtanen + Juolevi for Ristolainen

That seems like a lot to give up for a minus player. What if Juolevi is a late bloomer and turns out to eb an excellent defensive Dman? What if Jake takes another step (he seems to improve a bit each year), and turns out to be that power forward they drafted? 

Boeser for Dumba

get 'er done

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That seems like a lot to give up for a minus player. What if Juolevi is a late bloomer and turns out to eb an excellent defensive Dman? What if Jake takes another step (he seems to improve a bit each year), and turns out to be that power forward they drafted? 

Boeser for Dumba

get 'er done

OJ very well could be. You need to give to get. Risto is a 'minus' player because he's asked to play the big minute 'Edler' role on a train wreck of a team.

We have ZERO need for Dumba. We already have a younger, better Hughes. If anything we need a (younger) 'Suter' to play with Hughes. Hell no to anything for Dumba.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

on a train wreck of a team

I wonder why BUF is so bad, even with Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, Risto, Oloffson, johansson, Skinner, Okposo, etc.? Is it coaching? Have they suffered a lot of key injuries?

I just feel that's a lot to give up for Ristolainen. Maybe a bit scared to trade Jake and Olli too soon.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder why BUF is so bad, even with Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, Risto, Oloffson, johansson, Skinner, Okposo, etc.? Is it coaching? Have they suffered a lot of key injuries?

I just feel that's a lot to give up for Ristolainen. Maybe a bit scared to trade Jake and Olli too soon.

My guess? Culture. Lack thereof.

Well as I said:

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

(and TBH, I'd like to see what playoff Virtanen looks like before possibly moving him). 

Same largely applies to OJ.There's certainly risk to moving them (either now or this summer). OJ's basically 1.5-2 years behind his development thanks to injuries. It's certainly plausible he eventually catches up and becomes what we drafted. That said, he's still hard pressed to be as good as Risto is now (a legit #2D IMO). And that's likely still 3+ years off, if he even ever gets there.

Either route carries risk.

Benning did mention thaey may look at a trade of a player at a positon where they already have good depth. I was thinking RW, with Podkolzin, Lind, Jasek, Lockwood in the system, and Boeser, Jake and Gaudette on the team. They won't trade Podz, and Benning seems to have a thing for Lind. I hope they don't give up on Jake or Gaud, those two could be huge playoff performers down the road. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser for Dumba

get 'er done

Risto is an even player this year. His +/- is 0. That’s quite a big jump from last year when he was -41 or the year prior when he was -25. He’s obviously improved his defensive side of the game and is a big minute eater. He’d fit perfectly on the right side for a playoff run and would be insurance if we didn’t re-sign Tanev. 

I’d do Juolevi and Stecher for Risto. Not sure Buffalo would take it. I wouldn’t trade Virtanen. I’d wait until the summer and if we can re-sign Toffoli I would trade Boeser for a top 4 Dman or a power forward. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Risto is an even player this year. His +/- is 0. That’s quite a big jump from last year when he was -41 or the year prior when he was -25. He’s obviously improved his defensive side of the game and is a big minute eater. He’d fit perfectly on the right side for a playoff run and would be insurance if we didn’t re-sign Tanev. 

I’d do Juolevi and Stecher for Risto. Not sure Buffalo would take it. I wouldn’t trade Virtanen. I’d wait until the summer and if we can re-sign Toffoli I would trade Boeser for a top 4 Dman or a power forward. 

That's such a conniving thing to say after all those years that Brock has been a good friend to you. And you even donated to Minnesota chapter of Parkinson's disease for Brock's father when you hit both your shots at over 100MPH at the hardest shot competition! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Risto,

Still not good by the numbers, but playing hard minutes. Upgrade on a third pairing, but the cost to acquire won't match the increase in ability. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning did mention thaey may look at a trade of a player at a positon where they already have good depth. I was thinking RW, with Podkolzin, Lind, Jasek, Lockwood in the system, and Boeser, Jake and Gaudette on the team. They won't trade Podz, and Benning seems to have a thing for Lind. I hope they don't give up on Jake or Gaud, those two could be huge playoff performers down the road. 

I agree that Jasek and Lockwood could probably go from RW prospects.

Also, we seem ok at LD and perhaps Brisebois, Utunen, or (maybe?) Rathbone could be used to get a roster (top 4) RD.

Sautner too may help get a deal going.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's true, his +/- has been pretty bad throughout his career, but it's much better this year. I believe he would be a huge upgrade (literally) from Stecher. Wouldn't want to include Jake or Gaud in the deal though. Wonder if they'd go for Stecher, Juolevi and Goldobin or Lind? They wouldn't be taking a lot of cap space back. Then maybe we could trade Tanev to TOR for Kapanen. I'm sure Tanev would re-sign in his hometown. TOR will probably do anything to get Tanev, as their D isn't good enough to go deep this year. As for Tanev's injury concerns? He hasn't missed a game this year.

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Kapanen

Edler - Ristolainen

Hughes - Myers

• Upvote 1

Can only speculate what this might mean but ....... no Juolevi in the lineup tonight. I'm pretty sure there isn't a lingering issue but he didn't play last weekend either. Was there any type of substantive report on his well being that I missed?

7 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Can only speculate what this might mean but ....... no Juolevi in the lineup tonight. I'm pretty sure there isn't a lingering issue but he didn't play last weekend either. Was there any type of substantive report on his well being that I missed?

Not really put of the norm. He sits more than he plays anymore lol.

12 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Pending trade?  OJ is the sweetener in a Loui cap dump?  Waiting for Loui to approve the deal?  

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Not really put of the norm. He sits more than he plays anymore lol.

Seems discussion of his progress has been on the down low recently. I remain supportive, but as my primary matrix of judgement comes from game summaries and the occasional update in the local media, it's becoming increasingly difficult to remain glass half full.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pending trade?  OJ is the sweetener in a Loui cap dump?  Waiting for Loui to approve the deal?  

Pending move perhaps. I just don't think there's enough currency there at present to allow the off loading of LE's bloated contract. As a sweetener I can see it though.