The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, aGENT said:

Assuming Benning keeps doing what he's doing and most of the key prospects etc continue to progress, I'm happy to offer up Myers as the sacrificial lamb and clear his $6m cap hit next summer (just in time to pay Hughes/Pettersson) ::D

Horvat, Miller, Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette all protected. Pearson perhaps if he's still here (though he might not get protection anyway, as he's UFA with 'defacto' protection), otherwise that 7th slot could be Lind or somebody else's spot.

Depending on who actually earns it, three of Tryamkin, OJ, Rafferty, Brisebois...(Tanev and Stecher in the mix as well if either/both are still here). Edler (like Pearson) has defacto protection (and even more so, given his age and clear desire to remain in VAN).

Of course this gets a bit more fun if we do indeed re-sign Toffoli and trade/package one of Boeser/Virtanen for a D, in which case we might even be able to absorb some other teams F's for dimes on the dollar heading in to the ED!

Is EP exempt? Because he has exactly 2 years of NHL experience (the rule says 2 or fewer). We have more flexibility that I thought! That's great!

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He needs to get a cup of coffee in the NHL soon, only 4 Dmen from the first 2 rounds of the 2016 draft have not played an NHL game. Logan Stanley, Lucas Johanson, Chad Krys, and Juolevi (Who is a top 5 pick). 

When he gets that first game, does that make him not a dud anymore?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Is EP exempt? Because he has exactly 2 years of NHL experience (the rule says 2 or fewer). We have more flexibility that I thought! That's great!

I believe he's exempt because he would on his ELC still and I think ELCs are exempt. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Maybe, depends how he plays, maybe he steps up. He could play solid in a limited role and continue to get back to 100%.

I guess my point is that it doesn't matter when his "cup of coffee" will be as long as he's ready to hopefully earn a spot and stick when he gets that chance. Benchmarking him against other draftees that haven't played a game yet doesn't mean much.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think he is excempt, I believe anything over 2 years pro hockey in NA. Tryamkin might be exempt though. 

8 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

No EP will have 3 full years when the draft happens

Right, the draft happens after next season. So he is not exempt.

So forward protection is pretty much set already barring any trades: 

1. EP

2. Boeser

3. Horvat

4. Miller

5. Gaud

6. Virtanen

7. Toffoli (if re-signed)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

1. EP

2. Boeser

3. Horvat

4. Miller

5. Gaud

6. Virtanen

Yeah we are pretty much set on forwards if Toffoli resigns, defense is much harder to predict. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think he is excempt, I believe anything over 2 years pro hockey in NA. Tryamkin might be exempt though. 

I guess I must've been thinking something else. I don't see anything in regards to ELCs for the expansion. Too bad.

17 minutes ago, khay said:

1. EP

2. Boeser

3. Horvat

4. Miller

5. Gaud

6. Virtanen

You got it. D and goal tending will be harder to predict as we have no idea what will happen with UFA's this offseason or before next season

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah we are pretty much set on forwards if Toffoli resigns, defense is much harder to predict. 

QH exempt from the Expansion Draft is huge, Edler would be a pending UFA. We should be pretty good when it comes to protecting Defenseman as well.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, EliasBoeser said:

And we’re just suppose to expose Eriksson? 

what planet are you from..

I'm guessing you are joking but I guess he doesn't have an NMC so we are free to expose him. Right?

Hope Seattle takes him. lol

Edited by khay
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

QH exempt from the Expansion Draft is huge, Edler would be a pending UFA. We should be pretty good when it comes to protecting Defenseman as well.

Indeed. 

Actually, with this info, I don't think D isn't that complicated?

Hughes: Exempt.

Edler: UFA so no need to protect. 

Tanev: If re-signed and still playing well? Protect.

Stecher: Same as Tanev but my guess is we will have Tanev of Stecher not both. Assume we re-signed Tanev.

OJ: Protect.

Tryamkin: Protect if he is here and playing well.

Myers: Expose

So we protect Tanev (or Stecher), OJ, Tryamkin.

If Seattle takes Myers, it's not a huge loss as Tryamkin will have replaced him and we free up 6M.

If Tryamkin is not with the Canucks, then we protect Myers.

D core after the expansion draft assuming they take Myers:

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-?

OJ-Tryamkin

If they don't take Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Myers

OJ-Tryamkin

15 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

But do you protect Tanev, Myers, and Juolevi? Does Tanev resign. You dont want to waste Dman protection spots on players who are not Top 4 Defensemen. If we have a Dman protection spot open with no for sure top 4 Dman to use it on, we should make a trade to acquire one from a team that cant protect one. 

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

OJ will be gone in a few months. I was a supporter all the way but he is now an abject failure.

Edit: drunk sarcastic posts don't work apparently...:picard:

12 hours ago, elvis15 said:

:picard:

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

big ang school GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Edit: drunk sarcastic posts don't work apparently...:picard: