The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 hours ago, khay said:

Right, the draft happens after next season. So he is not exempt.

So forward protection is pretty much set already barring any trades: 

1. EP

2. Boeser

3. Horvat

4. Miller

5. Gaud

6. Virtanen

7. Toffoli (if re-signed)

With Toffoli, Virtanen, and Podkolzin coming, is Boeser trade material for some other team to protect?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

But do you protect Tanev, Myers, and Juolevi? Does Tanev resign. You dont want to waste Dman protection spots on players who are not Top 4 Defensemen. If we have a Dman protection spot open with no for sure top 4 Dman to use it on, we should make a trade to acquire one from a team that cant protect one. 

This is a pretty smart idea. I guess the cost to acquire such top 4D is going to be larger than what that team has to offer to Seattle to not draft the player.

I think a similar scenario was presented with Anaheim Ducks in 2017 expansion draft.

Ducks had 3 top 4D in Fowler, Lindholm, Vaatanen, a rising prospect in Theodore and past prime KB3. Bieksa had NMC or NTC that required him to be protected so they had 2 spots left, which they used to protect Lindholm and Fowler, leaving Vaatanen and Theodore unprotected.

Ducks eventually traded Theodore in exchange that Vegas picks Stoner (essentially a cap dump). 

I was actually puzzled by this trade. If Vegas wanted Theodore, they could have just picked him without having to take on Stoner so I felt like Vegas should have been able to get Theodore, which they would have gotten anyways + 2nd/3rd rounder for taking on Stoner's contract.

The only explanation I could think of at the time was that Vegas didn't want Vaatanen, they specifically wanted Theodore. Say, teams offered a 1st rounder (or good value trade) for Theodore so Ducks turned around and told Vegas, I'm going to trade Theodore but to stop me from trading him to another team, you take on Stoner. If Vegas was indifferent between Theodore and Vaatanen, then they would have said no in which case, Ducks trade Theodore to some other team and Vegas picks Vaatanen. That would have been a devastating result for then contending team in Ducks to lose 2 top 4D. But luckily for Ducks, Vegas had strong preference towards Theodore and agreed to take on Stoner. Looking back it worked out for Vegas as Theodore was a valuable contributor for their cup run.

If Ducks didn't have to protect KB3, they would have protected Lindholm, Fowler, and Theodore and trade Vaatanen for Henrique lol.

I wonder which teams will be in the similar situation this time.

Nashville is a potential candidate: Josi, Ekholm, Ellis, Fabbro?

Carolina: Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, maybe even Fleury?

Edited by khay
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

With Toffoli, Virtanen, and Podkolzin coming, is Boeser trade material for some other team to protect?

I disagree. Podkolzin is coming for 2021 season, and if he makes the Canucks right away (i.e., no AHL time), he can slot in for Tanner Pearson on the left side and may even be better to start his NHL career on the third line.

Virtanen is probably much effective as a 3rd line winger, think about Chicago's 3rd line in 2010: Ladd, Versteeg, Bolland. We could have ice a great 3rd line with Pod-Gaud-Virt.

It's unfair to compare to Chicago, whose scoring from wing position had Hossa, Sharp, and Kane. I think we are missing an elite winger and the best we can do is to compensate by having many quality wingers.

Miller-EP-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Podz-Gaud-Virt

Assuming there haven't been any updates (I've checked the news sources), is it too much to ask for a paltry few words from the organization about OJ's absence from the lineup yesterday? I don't need any more than a simple explanation. Hurt, potentially hurt, sick, home sick, resting/maintenance, bored. Just give me some words man!

And yes, I understand that there is no obligation for the team to say anything, ever, about anything, unless they are directed by the league to disclose.

Maybe all this isn't as mysterious as I make it out to be. Perhaps I'm asking for too much. There are no doubt bigger things to be concerned about in this world.

8 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Assuming there haven't been any updates (I've checked the news sources), is it too much to ask for a paltry few words from the organization about OJ's absence from the lineup yesterday? I don't need any more than a simple explanation. Hurt, potentially hurt, sick, home sick, resting/maintenance, bored. Just give me some words man!

And yes, I understand that there is no obligation for the team to say anything, ever, about anything, unless they are directed by the league to disclose.

Maybe all this isn't as mysterious as I make it out to be. Perhaps I'm asking for too much. There are no doubt bigger things to be concerned about in this world.

• Thanks 1

Load Management in the NBA is often utilized to rest healthy players in the hopes to preserve them for the playoffs. 

What it means to Cull is anyone's guess.  I suppose if he called it a 'healthy scratch' or an injury, Nuck fans would start freaking out.  I doubt it would be a healthy scratch, as Olli has been playing well and hopefully not some sort of 'hidden' injury.

11 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Yes we could've drafted tkachuk but he probably would've helped us win more games and accelerated our rebuild.

So we wouldn't have been picking high enough to get petey or hughes.

That pick was a blessing and if Juolevi turns out to be an NHL'er that's an added bonus.

Nobody said anything about Tkachuk.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, khay said:

Load management also applies to player coming off a severe injury and has higher risk of sustaining further injury if body is not properly rested.

If applies to OJ.

This is my thinking. Coming off back and knee injuries (the knee injury which also led to a minor (was it hip?) issue earlier this season, it's not a stretch to imagine they'd want to make sure he's not over doing any of those muscles, joints etc, that the continued strengthening around them is on track etc, etc. 

He does need to keep playing though. He's a solid 1-2 years behind on his development/play time. Have to strike a balance between that and making sure they're building his body back up to have a long career without one issue leading to another. (All while balancing the negative PR around this player any time he misses a game).

• Cheers 4