The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

This is my thinking. Coming off back and knee injuries (the knee injury which also led to a minor (was it hip?) issue earlier this season, it's not a stretch to imagine they'd want to make sure he's not over doing any of those muscles, joints etc, that the continued strengthening around them is on track etc, etc. 

He does need to keep playing though. He's a solid 1-2 years behind on his development/play time. Have to strike a balance between that and making sure they're building his body back up to have a long career without one issue leading to another. (All while balancing the negative PR around this player any time he misses a game).

I agree most wholeheartedly about your thinking but it’s not so much negative PR. There would first have to be some level of PR in the first place for that to be true. It’s this cloudy haze around his “maintenance” that I’d like somewhat lifted. Otherwise we are left to infer the reason behind him missing games and I’d like a little more spoon feeding from the club from time to time (even though I know I’m not really owed it).

5 hours ago, zimmy said:

I agree most wholeheartedly about your thinking but it’s not so much negative PR. There would first have to be some level of PR in the first place for that to be true. It’s this cloudy haze around his “maintenance” that I’d like somewhat lifted. Otherwise we are left to infer the reason behind him missing games and I’d like a little more spoon feeding from the club from time to time (even though I know I’m not really owed it).

The club did the same PR they do for any player, they allow the media associated with the team to announce it. That was the tweet from Ben Birnell posted in reply to your previous question about why he was out, as he covers the Comets.

Of course people love to read more into these things, so trust the news or don't, but the Canucks don't micromanage these announcements to the public for the big club, let alone the farm team or any prospect playing elsewhere. You might find more info in the post game pressers the Comets usually put out, but don't expect to hear much from the Canucks unless someone directly asks during an interview.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Load management is reducing the load in order to lessen strain on a previous injury.  They want to avoid him putting to much strain on his previous injuries while he builds up strength in the area.

Ultimately I think Joulevi will be a steady second pairing D for us soon.  They should do what they can to ensure his injuries are behind him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This time off definitely helps OJ if there's any silver lining. He's had 45 games experience and now gets to focus on getting stronger, faster and recover completely.

That's a great bonus. Just the thing for a player who has successfully came back from serious injury. He gets 45 solid games in and gets to rest, further heal, and then strengthen further will no freak hockey injuries to worry about.

11 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's a great bonus. Just the thing for a player who has successfully came back from serious injury. He gets 45 solid games in and gets to rest, further heal, and then strengthen further will no freak hockey injuries to worry about.

I think he's on the Canucks next year. We'll see if I'm right, but I think the Canucks feel that he's developed enough to make the jump now.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think he's on the Canucks next year. We'll see if I'm right, but I think the Canucks feel that he's developed enough to make the jump now.

Especially if the cap is going to stagnate or go down, we might have to load up some spots with rookies.

• Cheers 1

On 3/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I think you're right...all he needs is time to work on his range of motion for all his injured parts...to get them limber enough to make tighter faster turns...his mobility is the only thing holding him back right now and if he puts in the work ...a few months should show massive improvement...if he does the work....it's up to him now.

Here's THN view

The top ten fallers list

at #7

7. OLLI JUOLEVI, D, VANCOUVER CANUCKS (-35)
Last year: 66th
This year: not ranked in top 100.

Juolevi actually ranked sixth on this list last year, when he’d tumbled from 21st to 66th, and now he’s dropped right out of the top 100, which is disheartening to say the least given the Canucks used 2016’s fifth-overall pick on him. This season, the news isn’t all bad, however. Despite the slide in the ranks, he’s finally been relatively healthy, shaking off a bout of hip soreness and getting 45 games in with AHL Utica, during which he’s been used in all situations. So while the ranking suggests he’s slipping, Juolevi has actually experienced a positive year developmentally simply by staying on the ice and getting his reps in an important role. He turns 22 in May. Plenty of great NHL defensemen have debuted older than that. So we may see Juolevi get there at some point.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's THN view

The top ten fallers list

at #7

7. OLLI JUOLEVI, D, VANCOUVER CANUCKS (-35)
Last year: 66th
This year: not ranked in top 100.

Juolevi actually ranked sixth on this list last year, when he’d tumbled from 21st to 66th, and now he’s dropped right out of the top 100, which is disheartening to say the least given the Canucks used 2016’s fifth-overall pick on him. This season, the news isn’t all bad, however. Despite the slide in the ranks, he’s finally been relatively healthy, shaking off a bout of hip soreness and getting 45 games in with AHL Utica, during which he’s been used in all situations. So while the ranking suggests he’s slipping, Juolevi has actually experienced a positive year developmentally simply by staying on the ice and getting his reps in an important role. He turns 22 in May. Plenty of great NHL defensemen have debuted older than that. So we may see Juolevi get there at some point.

....and the bolded is what we should take from that...if the injuries are behind him and he uses the off time to core strengthen and increase his flexibility ( which is worst trait right now...due to those injuries) he could show up next year as bonafide top 4 D.

Just watch....! 

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....and the bolded is what we should take from that...if the injuries are behind him and he uses the off time to core strengthen and increase his flexibility ( which is worst trait right now...due to those injuries) he could show up next year as bonafide top 4 D.

Just watch....! 

Could show up next year as a echl defenseman too...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Not a chance...he is either a whole healthy player or he heads back to Sweden for a full years rehab....no way he gets demoted, he was still one of the most used D. in Utica when was healthy enough to play.

It was a joke. But he has just as much chance of digressing as he does progressing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1