The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

It was a joke. But he has just as much chance of digressing as he does progressing.

Digress, verb
  1. leave the main subject temporarily in speech or writing.
    "I have digressed a little from my original plan"
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, austy said:
Digress, verb
  1. leave the main subject temporarily in speech or writing.
    "I have digressed a little from my original plan"

Lol for some reason I cant think of the word I'm thinking of here. Does not look good on me lmao.

23 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Lol for some reason I cant think of the word I'm thinking of here. Does not look good on me lmao.

Regression?  I bet his fortnite game is progressing nicely(also a joke)

On 3/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I think he's on the Canucks next year. We'll see if I'm right, but I think the Canucks feel that he's developed enough to make the jump now.

He has a long way to go, he’ll have to outplay Rafferty, Rathbone, Brisebois, and maybe Tryamkin - cuz that is who he is behind right now.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 6:27 AM, Fred65 said:

Here's THN view

The top ten fallers list

at #7

7. OLLI JUOLEVI, D, VANCOUVER CANUCKS (-35)
Last year: 66th
This year: not ranked in top 100.

Juolevi actually ranked sixth on this list last year, when he’d tumbled from 21st to 66th, and now he’s dropped right out of the top 100, which is disheartening to say the least given the Canucks used 2016’s fifth-overall pick on him. This season, the news isn’t all bad, however. Despite the slide in the ranks, he’s finally been relatively healthy, shaking off a bout of hip soreness and getting 45 games in with AHL Utica, during which he’s been used in all situations. So while the ranking suggests he’s slipping, Juolevi has actually experienced a positive year developmentally simply by staying on the ice and getting his reps in an important role. He turns 22 in May. Plenty of great NHL defensemen have debuted older than that. So we may see Juolevi get there at some point.

same publication source that had Casey Mittlestadt ahead of Elias Pettersson.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

same publication source that had Casey Mittlestadt ahead of Elias Pettersson.  

Quite a few pundits had Middlestad as the  better prospect. I actually recall JB stating at a luncheon stating that CM was a very gifted centre. Middlestad was physically stronger. Tell you what I'd trade OJ for CM

15 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He has a long way to go, he’ll have to outplay Rafferty, Rathbone, Brisebois, and maybe Tryamkin - cuz that is who he is behind right now.

In what respects would you say that he is behind the ones you've mentioned? 

I'd agree that he's behind Tryamkin as he's been playing in the second best league in the world for 3 years.

Rafferty is really exciting prospect and it could be argued that he's about even or ahead of Juolevi due to his ability to skate the puck out of trouble.

Rathbone is also an excellent prospect, but his own coach feels that he still has some holes in his defensive game, probably needs a year in Utica.

Brisebois is also pretty close to NHL ready, is going to be a bottom pairing guy who fills just a defensive role.

Juolevi, is relied on for top pairing minutes in Utica and is put out in the most critical times of the game to control the game.

Just curious on what your perspective is on him. From my understanding and what Benning has stated, Juolevi was drafted for his ability to settle games down, more than his offensive capabilities.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

In what respects would you say that he is behind the ones you've mentioned? 

I'd agree that he's behind Tryamkin as he's been playing in the second best league in the world for 3 years.

Rafferty is really exciting prospect and it could be argued that he's about even or ahead of Juolevi due to his ability to skate the puck out of trouble.

Rathbone is also an excellent prospect, but his own coach feels that he still has some holes in his defensive game, probably needs a year in Utica.

Brisebois is also pretty close to NHL ready, is going to be a bottom pairing guy who fills just a defensive role.

Juolevi, is relied on for top pairing minutes in Utica and is put out in the most critical times of the game to control the game.

Just curious on what your perspective is on him. From my understanding and what Benning has stated, Juolevi was drafted for his ability to settle games down, more than his offensive capabilities.

Tryamkin and Rafferty are easily ahead of Juolevi and I expect both to be in the Canucks lineup next year.  Tryamkin has the physical talent Juolevi doesn't have and Raffterty brings the great skating and offensive talent that Juolevi does not have.  Rafftery will be a great compliment to Quinn and can run the second unit powerplay while Tryamkin could be partnered with Myers to make a dynamic twin towers pairing.  

Rathbone is even a better skater than Rafferty.  He looks like Quinn but with a bit more size.  He could be a sleeper and could easily become the best 4th round pick in Canucks history.  He has a huge ceiling, much higher than Juolevi because of his skating ability.  He may need work on his defensive game but Quinn needed work as well and has come a long way just in one year.

Brisebois will be a good complimentary 5-6 defenceman who can come in and fill in for injuries or play a regular shift on the 3rd pairing.  He's very responsible defensively and is a good skater.

Juolevi may have more pure talent than a guy like Brisebois but Juloevi will need to play in the top 4 to be effective.  With the defencemen we have coming up I just don't see a role for him on this team, especially with the emergence of Rathbone.  Even Jett Woo can have a place on this team as a right shot defenceman who can play on the 3rd pairing and move up the lineup as needed.

If I was Benning I would look to see how Rathbone plays in Utica next season.  If he is lights out then I think you look at packaging Juolevi with another player like Demko to get that first round draft pick back or to get a top 4 right handed defenceman to replace Tanev.

7 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Just going to remind everyone of what RJ had to say about OJ not too long ago. He's not far off and he definitely has the highest ceiling of all of our d prospects. Elite hockey sense is not thrown around regularly. He just needs to stay healthy.

Also, no to trading Olli, I'd say there's a higher potential reward of him just panning out.

I would hate to see us trade Olli before giving him a fair chance in the NHL.

I really hope for him to be a Tanev replacement to be honest...might be a bit a leap (and I am not holding my breathe) but he seems so underrated by so many...but only until he isn't. I don't think he will ever be the flashy player people expect from a 5th overall but I truly expect him to be a necessary piece (in some capacity) for us when we compete for the cup again

7 hours ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I really hope for him to be a Tanev replacement to be honest...might be a bit a leap (and I am not holding my breathe) but he seems so underrated by so many...but only until he isn't. I don't think he will ever be the flashy player people expect from a 5th overall but I truly expect him to be a necessary piece (in some capacity) for us when we compete for the cup again

He's not a Tanev type of player

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Oof, tough list for him to make (I guess injuries definitely factor in).

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/future-watch-2020-the-nhls-top-10-falling-prospects

Would anyone consider trading him for Wilde (big, RHD with a hard shot) or Lias Andersson?

No.  I have been very tough on Juolevi in this thread, but I still remember what I saw of him in the Finnish league and in the world juniors, and I remember him being walked repeatedly in the Youngstars and in his first year in Utica - what was exposed was his pivot - especially to the left attempting to turn with guys going down the boards, and his gap was off (maybe an adjustment to the smaller rink - but the he played junior in the OHL). This year many of those things were cleared up - notably his pivot - but he seemed slow.  Injuries can prevent a player getting the best out of himself - especially injuries that affect your training - but Juolevi has a chance to fix that now - and I see that as possible (depending on how injuries have degraded his upside). His greatest virtues are that he is very intelligent (crucial for a D that you want in your top four), he sees the ice very well, he is strong advancing the puck. If his negatives can be cleared up, and he is still young, he could still become that top four guy that almost every team needs - I see him fitting into a good team as a three or four - much like Hamhuis - IF.........

12 hours ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I think he's more of an Edler replacement. Seems like he's being groomed to take the same type of minutes that he's playing right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Personally, I would like the Canucks to walk away from Fanta and rotate Olli and Jordie on the bottom pairing LHD throughout the season.

that would be a good use of Benn's final year, and finally be able to bring OJ into service. Fanta's OK but he's one of those guys that has 1 good game that makes him look like top 6 material, followed by 3 sketchy ones. 

• Upvote 2