It seems kind of lazy to me to use trends as the ultimate indicator of whether or not a player will make it. Seems to me that looking at the player individually would be a much stronger indicator of what that players chances are. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

And we have people who can’t tell the difference... although I’m not good at articulation most times. So I guess I’ll say; I hope this kid salvages a good NHL career.

I think he will. He's got the main thing that you can't really teach, IQ. He'll be fine and it will be a pleasure to see some critics fall silent. I really never expect a d prospect to make it as a regular before the age of 23. Had OJ not had injuries I think he's on the team by now. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm not even reading past this lol. Have a good day man.

* No longer on active roster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

* No longer on active roster.

He was lent to the wjc and got hurt. It's not like he didnt make the the nhl which is what we're talking about here. 

He has 4 pts in 14 games and +1 and led team canada to a gold medal. Are we really putting him in the same category as yakupov?

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He was lent to the wjc and got hurt. It's not like he didnt make the the nhl which is what we're talking about here. 

He has 4 pts in 14 games and +1 and led team canada to a gold medal. Are we really putting him in the same category as yakupov?

...Are we really putting Yakupov in the same thread as Juolevi....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I had no idea he was injured, but he sure was terrific in the WJC.

As a 2018 draft pick, it would be ridiculous to consider a player a bust regardless of NHL entry.

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It seems kind of lazy to me to use trends as the ultimate indicator of whether or not a player will make it. Seems to me that looking at the player individually would be a much stronger indicator of what that players chances are. 

For sure... it’s the old correlation does not equal causation.  

Just because other (arbitrary draft position didn’t make it in arbitrary seasons after draft) doesn’t mean anything with regards to predicting an individual’s career.

I’m pretty sure people crapped on Jake with the same logic... As a 6 OA he hasn’t broken out by his “draft+ whatever” year so he’s a career 4th liner / replacement player.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Hydration 1

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OJ had a really strong game last night in a tight 3-2 loss but he was one of, if not the, best Comet on the ice.   Looking very comfortable in his own end right now.   Really showing some nice urgency with his game.

Great to hear.  Give him time

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Great to hear.  Give him time

OJ is going to be such a strong asset to add when he is ready.  I'd imagine he will get a good look at camp, and be up before the new year.  JB is going to have a few tough choices when it comes to our D next year.  Have to figure OJ, Rafferty, and potentially Tryamkin are all going to be in the mix.  Meyers, Edler, Hughes are all locks, Tanev is likely resigned, and Stecher is likely gone. Does JB see OJ, Rafferty or Tryamkin as upgrades to Benn, Fentenberg, and potentially Tanev?  OJ and Rafferty would give us a 3 million in cap space if we got rid of Benn and Stecher.    How much would that hurt the team on the ice?  I imagine a D of:

Tanev Hughes

Edler OJ/Rafferty/Tryamkin

Meyers OJ/Rafferty/Tryamkin

On paper, I like that alot.

• Upvote 2

Interesting look.  Rafferty is probably ready for a look, but I wouldn't want him or OJ as a seventh D, they need lots of playing time to still develop, and I don't see Tryamkin sticking around to play the spare. So likely still need 1 of Stetcher, Benn or Fantenberg as 7th D....probably Fantenberg.

Are either Rafferty or OJ waiver exempt next year? That'll play a big role.

19 hours ago, BCNate said:

OJ is going to be such a strong asset to add when he is ready.  I'd imagine he will get a good look at camp, and be up before the new year.  JB is going to have a few tough choices when it comes to our D next year.  Have to figure OJ, Rafferty, and potentially Tryamkin are all going to be in the mix.  Meyers, Edler, Hughes are all locks, Tanev is likely resigned, and Stecher is likely gone. Does JB see OJ, Rafferty or Tryamkin as upgrades to Benn, Fentenberg, and potentially Tanev?  OJ and Rafferty would give us a 3 million in cap space if we got rid of Benn and Stecher.    How much would that hurt the team on the ice?  I imagine a D of:

Tanev Hughes

Edler OJ/Rafferty/Tryamkin

Meyers OJ/Rafferty/Tryamkin

On paper, I like that alot.

I doubt there will be enough CAP space to re-sign Tanev. 

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I doubt there will be enough CAP space to re-sign Tanev. 

Tanev wants to re-sign here per his agent.

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I suspect the "plan" is Edler plays until the end of 2021 season, and Juolevi suppose to be phased in by the start of 2021 2022 season.

I highly doubt that they wait that long with Juolevi when the plan was to get him to the NHL last Christmas. The succession plan is hard to understand right now with a crowded roster but I'm sure they want to get some of these kids in sooner than later.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:27 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

OJ had a really strong game last night in a tight 3-2 loss but he was one of, if not the, best Comet on the ice.   Looking very comfortable in his own end right now.   Really showing some nice urgency with his game.

Wow, it sounds like you actually watched the game. Get out of here with your insight!

On 2/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Tanev wants to re-sign here per his agent.

Healthy Tanev is always going to be welcome back. 

But, he only played 55, 42, 53, 69, 70, 64 games going back 6 seasons. Given his injury history, anything above 6M doesn't make much sense, especially with Edler getting 6M. I'd say 3 years x 5M? It's a modest raise and Tanev gets 3 year term to show that he can stay effective into his 30's.

Signing Tanev means, we won't be re-signing Stecher, which makes a spot available for Tryamkin. Then, next season Olli will take over Fantenberg's spot.

Edler-Myers (22+ minutes)

Hughes-Tanev (21+ minutes)

Juolevi-Tryamkin (17+ minutes)

Can also switch up Tanev and Tryamkin to give Hughes more physical/size support and OJ more stable defensive partner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

But, he only played 55, 42, 53, 69, 70, 64 games going back 6 seasons. Given his injury history, anything above 6M doesn't make much sense, especially with Edler getting 6M. I'd say 3 years x 5M? It's a modest raise and Tanev gets 3 year term to show that he can stay effective into his 30's.

Signing Tanev means, we won't be re-signing Stecher, which makes a spot available for Tryamkin. Then, next season Olli will take over Fantenberg's spot.

Can also switch up Tanev and Tryamkin to give Hughes more physical/size support and OJ more stable defensive partner.

He may have to take a bit of a pay cut and accept a shorter term deal but I think something will be worked out.

1 hour ago, khay said:

I'd like to see Tanev do what he has done for Hughes with OJ. I'd probably switch up Tryamkin and Tanev and balance out the minutes more. 21-20-19. I think Tryamkin eats up some of the PK time which lowers the minutes of Myers while I'd like to see OJ take some 2nd unit PP time and likely some PK time (as he's being groomed to do now) to lower Edler and even Myers' minutes also. If that happens, it could even get to more of 20-20-20 split with Edler and Myers focusing mostly on even strength time.

Don't sleep on Rathbone too. I could see Brisebois being the 7th dman when it gets to this point.