The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

13 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That is good news, maybe we can finally get to see the best that this kid has to offer.

I know people like to speculate he was a video game addict but there’s really not much proof there.

I don’t think there was anything really holding him back other than an unlucky string of injuries.

His skating and hockey IQ were always considered good. He just needed to work on his strength and conditioning which was tough with the injuries.

If he can string together a few years of being healthy no reason he can’t still reach his potential. He is still just 22 years old. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Who is getting injured?    Gotta be at least 3-4 guys out before OJ gets in

I have Olli 5th on the depth chart for LHD.

Hughes

Edler

Fantenburg

Benn

Juolevi

And Olli is absolutely better with the puck than Benn. Its really not a stretch to say anyone could get injured >> then he would be a good card to play!

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hughes

Edler

Fantenburg

Benn

Juolevi

And Olli is absolutely better with the puck than Benn. Its really not a stretch to say anyone could get injured >> then he would be a good card to play!

I would say Sautner and Brisebois are ahead right now. Sautner has experience and Brisebois has some as well with some regular callups over the season. OJ will really have to stand out in practices to surpass them for this play-in/playoffs to get a look IMO. The coaching staff likely is more comfortable with those guys right now, but OJ would be getting some real good experience in the practices that he can carry over into the next season.

However between Benn potentially being away from the birth of his baby, a potential injury and Covid, he may get a look in a game. It's a lot of pressure from this fanbase on him getting his first NHL game in this type of atmosphere especially after all he's had to overcome with his injuries, so hopefully people will cut him some slack and don't expect some saviour from the hype of him playing.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I know people like to speculate he was a video game addict but there’s really not much proof there.

I don’t think there was anything really holding him back other than an unlucky string of injuries.

His skating and hockey IQ were always considered good. He just needed to work on his strength and conditioning which was tough with the injuries.

If he can string together a few years of being healthy no reason he can’t still reach his potential. He is still just 22 years old. 

Defense is a funny position!

In most positions, in most sports? The elite of elite athletes always have an upper hand. Hughes has agility, dexterity, speed AND skill Guys cannot guard or breakaway from him. He also gets to pucks soooo fast. He has more time to make plays.  Quinn also has the IT factor! Understands what to do even when he is under pressure.

But remove even a fraction of a second. Defense make more of their plays under duress than in almost any sport. Often with their back to the open ice where they have to make a pass?

Brett Hedican was a magnificent athlete. He was a so so NHL player most of his career! Gudbrandson had plenty of speed and strength. Tools that had scouts drooling. But could not seem to make the right play under pressure to save his life?  People will hate this next comparison! Luc Bourdon was a more exciting athlete than Alex Edler. Who passed Luc in his first training camp & made the Canucks sooner. And he had a great career in spite of not being as gifted. Could not get to a puck battle as fast as any of these mentioned here. Alex was calmer with the puck. 

AV and any good hockey coach will pick that right away. Green sits Benn in favor of Fantenburg. Despite only one, not Fantenburg, punishing guys in front of the net. Oskar Fantenburg gets the puck out much more reliably. 

Composure, the knack for making those plays does not register at the draft combine. That is the IT factor. Tanev is in that same conversation. He also lacked the refined athletic prowess at 19. Took a year or two to even gain that ability at college. But had the sense of compete that had him work hard enough to gain the physical prowess & catch up. Juolevi has IT with the puck. But was having trouble, did not have the strength or endurance to handle AHL forwards when he arrived.  But if he has found maturity on the training track, in the weight room, in his work rate?

Juolevi could be a dangerous player! I still remember him springing Marner & Laine for stertch passes at 17 with checkers breathing down his neck/// 

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I would say Sautner and Brisebois are ahead right now.

That an opinion.

Sautner is 26. If he had the ability to handle the puck at the NHL level he would be here by now.  I disagree there.

A case could be made for Brisebois. I respect that. If Edler were out & they wanted someone to kill penalties & take D zone shifts against jamie Benn I could see it.   But in most circumstances, its only my opinion, they would call on Olli?

I have no worries about Juolevi's development. We don't NEED him on the team until Edler is gone, as he's a similar kind of player who will thrive playing minutes complementary to Hughes.

Between the two of them and Rathbone I see our left side top 4 D anchored for the next 5 years.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

who cares if he likes video games.  A lot of prospects will put that down as a hobby, and it's normal for guys his age to enjoy video games.  What was he suppose to write down in his draft profile?  He likes writing poetry and reading novels all day long? give me a damn break, heck even a ton of Canuck players play fortnite.  big deal. 

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

who cares if he likes video games.  A lot of prospects will put that down as a hobby, and it's normal for guys his age to enjoy video games.  What was he suppose to write down in his draft profile?  He likes writing poetry and reading novels all day long? give me a damn break, heck even a ton of Canuck players play fortnite.  big deal. 

Well the speculation was that he was addicted and it was affecting his focus.

Again no evidence to that, just repeating what the rumors were.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I've heard this rumor too, that a certain prospects addiction to video games might jeopardize his career, although still no actual evidence, this rumor literally points to Jakub Zboril, one of the Bruins first round picks in 2015, who is a known player that a "huge fan" of world of warcraft. 

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That an opinion.

Sautner is 26. If he had the ability to handle the puck at the NHL level he would be here by now.  I disagree there.

A case could be made for Brisebois. I respect that. If Edler were out & they wanted someone to kill penalties & take D zone shifts against jamie Benn I could see it.   But in most circumstances, its only my opinion, they would call on Olli?

Sautner is a solid depth call up option. OJ will/should hopefully surpass him in time.

Considering OJ hasn't seen an NHL game yet, I suspect he isn't going to walk right into a playoff situation barring him actually outperforming in practices and earning that chance over the guys that have some NHL experience.

There's a reason why Sautner was initially the first call up this season when we needed a body. He got a concussion and Brisebois became the regular call up for insurance for much of the season. OJ once again is just coming back from injury/maintenance and still could use some game action (which he is unfortunately missing out on in the shortened season in the AHL). I'm not against him getting a game if he does earn it (or if several players go down), I just don't think it's the right situation to bring him in considering the pressure/scrutiny he will face not only given that it's playoffs, but it being his first game and all the hype that will be around it. I think he will gain valuable experience in the practices at this level that he can grow for next season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Marek also denied that it was Juolevi he was talking about.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hughes

Edler

Fantenburg

Benn

Juolevi

I must have missed something.  
When did OJ prove to be an NHL dman?  
Did he just put together a season that should make us think he is ready for the NHL playoffs?

Lots of people control the puck better than Benn.  But he is also a veteran NHL dman who seems like a step it up in the playoffs kinda guy.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I must have missed something.  
When did OJ prove to be an NHL dman?  
Did he just put together a season that should make us think he is ready for the NHL playoffs?

Lots of people control the puck better than Benn.  But he is also a veteran NHL dman who seems like a step it up in the playoffs kinda guy.  

August....2020...

Just watch...!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...