The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Thanks for the clips...A lot of the top of the 2016 1st round picks are already around 300 games played in the NHL...If Juolevi can make the NHL, that would be quite a story. (I dont mean it sarcastically, but its one hell of an uphill battle now).

Edited by Honky Cat
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Thanks for the clips...A lot of the top of the 2016 1st round picks are already around 300 games played in the NHL...If Juolevi can make the NHL, that would be quite a story. (I dont mean it sarcastically, but its one hell of an uphill battle now).

Yeah he's in tough and now overtaken by Rathbone or so it seems. All the Pro Juolevi pundits seems to have faded away. You wonder if they could identify other top picks that have failed to make an impact and try a trade, Mittelstad  Pulujavior (SP) Liljegren just as examples. You think a change of scenery ... who knows 

Edited by Fred65

14 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

yeah, super uphill ... a 22 year old top 5 pick defenceman who has performed well professionally and whose original drafting team is still very high on him. 

a total long shot. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, super uphill ... a 22 year old top 5 pick defenceman who has performed well professionally and whose original drafting team is still very high on him. 

a total long shot. 

He's lost a lot of development time due to injuries, while he's been rehabbing his peers have been developing and gaining experience.  At 18 he was expected to be 3-4 years away under a normal development path and it's hard to argue his path is been normal. Add in the fact that he's been surpassed by a super star in Hughes and has a strong competition spot coming in next year with Rathbone.  His path to reach his draft expectations is still a major uphill battle.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah he's in tough and now overtaken by Rathbone or so it seems. All the Pro Juolevi pundits seems to have faded away. You wonder if they could identify other top picks that have failed to make an impact and try a trade, Mittelstad  Pulujavior (SP) Liljegren just as examples. You think a change of scenery ... who knows 

Mittelstadt is a left shot center so it's not really an area we need right now.  For the same reasons canucks likely don't trade Joulevi within the division i don't see oilers doing the same. Liljegren is one I could be interested in since he has the right shot, but leafs are still high on him and need to sell it as that, since that they are going to be desperate for ELC playing on their roster.  And really to be fair, he put up .75p/pg as a 20 year old last season in AHL. 

I wouldn't be against packaging him and Jake up for a more established RHD D.

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's lost a lot of development time due to injuries, while he's been rehabbing his peers have been developing and gaining experience.  At 18 he was expected to be 3-4 years away under a normal development path and it's hard to argue his path is been normal. Add in the fact that he's been surpassed by a super star in Hughes and has a strong competition spot coming in next year with Rathbone.  His path to reach his draft expectations is still a major uphill battle.

Mittelstadt is a left shot center so it's not really an area we need right now.  For the same reasons canucks likely don't trade Joulevi within the division i don't see oilers doing the same. Liljegren is one I could be interested in since he has the right shot, but leafs are still high on him and need to sell it as that, since that they are going to be desperate for ELC playing on their roster.  And really to be fair, he put up .75p/pg as a 20 year old last season in AHL. 

I wouldn't be against packaging him and Jake up for a more established RHD D.

...and here we are, 4 years later, and he'll be battling for a spot in camp next year -- in spite of his aforementioned injury setbacks.

Jim Benning is patient and knows that it's not a sprint. Juolevi is in good shape as far as trajectory goes and he'll be a solid 2-4 d-man for a long time. not spectacular, but solid. Alex Edler. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Keep the faith Bro :rolleyes:

Will do.

Still has all the tools he had when he was drafted. As FTG noted, he's lost development time due to injuries. He just needs to get/stay healthy and play and he'll be fine.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, tas said:

...and here we are, 4 years later, and he'll be battling for a spot in camp next year -- in spite of his aforementioned injury setbacks.

Battling for a roster spot and being in the NHL are completely different things. Not to mention that every players in the AHL is battling for a NHL roster. Just ask goldobin. Doesn’t make him any closer to being an NHL player.

His ELC is up at the end of next season, teams only invest so much time into a player before the expect results. Again ask goldobin. It will be his make or break, especially if he gets passed by another younger left shot defensemen. 

Jim Benning is patient and knows that it's not a sprint. Juolevi is in good shape as far as trajectory goes and he'll be a solid 2-4 d-man for a long time. not spectacular, but solid. Alex Edler. 

What are you basing that off of? His original draft position?  If Joulevi was still on his projected trajectory do you think he’d still get even a top 10 evaluation. A very simplistic outlook but from a high level is does show that he’s Is lagging on trajectory. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Lol since when? There hasn't been any hockey in months.

He's not a comparable to Mittelstadt or Puljujaarvi because they haven't been able to establish themselves in the NHL. Liljegren failed to make an impact at 21?:frantic:C'mon, he's still progressing well.

I don't understand the thought of stagnation with Olli. Just because he's 22 he can't keep improving? If his injuries couldn't heal to 100%, then I would understand dropping his ceiling, but if he recovers fully and keeps developing, why project him low? He's been one of the best defenceman on every team he's play on.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What are you basing that off of? His original draft position?  If Joulevi was still on his projected trajectory do you think he’d still get even a top 10 evaluation. A very simplistic outlook but from a high level is does show that he’s Is lagging on trajectory. 

Honestly if Olli was anywhere around a mid to late first I feel he wouldn't have the premature notion of being called a bust by many.

He's definitely being developed to take over the Edler role, the main factor will be his ability to transition to the NHL level game. I believe a lot in Olli, his hockey IQ gives me great hope that with some more recovery and development, he'll be a solid dman in the NHL. Of course though, only time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tas said:

Don't compare Juolevi to Edler. Edler has been the Canucks franchise best D man ever. :picard:

If we are lucky, Olli will make it as a 2nd pairing D. He has shown nothing to support any fantasy he will be the next Edler.

Could he?  It is a very long shot but weirder things have happened I suppose.

1 hour ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

Don't compare Juolevi to Edler. Edler has been the Canucks franchise best D man ever. :picard:

If we are lucky, Olli will make it as a 2nd pairing D. He has shown nothing to support any fantasy he will be the next Edler.

Could he?  It is a very long shot but weirder things have happened I suppose.

I guess it's better to compare it role wise, as that is what he's being groomed to replace if he can transition well to the NHL. High minute, top PK unit, and PP capability.

If Juolevi can turn into a top PK 30ish point dman at the least, that would be solid for us.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Honestly if Olli was anywhere around a mid to late first I feel he wouldn't have the premature notion of being called a bust by many.

he’s Definitely not a bust and your right, his draft position does effect expectations. But it’s fair to have those expectations because typically the higher a player is taken the more transferable his skillset is to the nhl. The more areas a player has to work on, the more risks there are involved in the player not working out. 

He's definitely being developed to take over the Edler role, the main factor will be his ability to transition to the NHL level game. I believe a lot in Olli, his hockey IQ gives me great hope that with some more recovery and development, he'll be a solid dman in the NHL. Of course though, only time will tell.

I think he’s just tryin to be developed to play in the NHL. Maybe they are hoping he becomes a edler replacement but I also don’t think they are going to wait too much longer for result. JB has shown he isn’t afraid to move on with a player or do bring in another option. 

Consider the roster for next year.  Edler and Hughes are locking up the top 4 spots on the left side and Hughes is going to get the majority of the offensive zone/PP time and rightfully so.  That means Joulevi is trying to knock out Benn for the bottom pairing D. which is plausible.  But he's also competing directly against Brisebois, who realistically is more suited for that bottom paring role.  And that's if Canucks don't make any offseason signing.  If canucks do go out and sign another depth D like fantanberg, it will be a telling sign as to where canucks are on Juolevis development

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Cheers 1

I tend to believe that this is a must year for Juolevi. This saga has to come to an end at some stage. I understand all the hurdles he has had in front of him but at some stage the club can't giving him a pass, he has to show what they can expect from him in the future. This has been going on since 2016. Surely there has been some period during that 4 years when he has offered hope. Rathbones going to challenge him and to be honest Brisbois to. Sautner is right there. Olli you have to do it now