The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

8 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I hope we see Juolevi in the exhibition game, if not the play in series. 

I really hope not since that would mean we have had several injuries to the defencemen ahead of him on the roster.

This isn’t an exhibition season where you have a bunch of meaningless games  to toss prospects into.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I hope we see Juolevi in the exhibition game, if not the play in series. 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I really hope not since that would mean we have had several injuries to the defencemen ahead of him on the roster.

This isn’t an exhibition season where you have a bunch of meaningless games  to toss prospects into.

As much as I would like to see OJ play, I agree that the game against the Jets should be a dress rehearsal for game 1 against the Wild. Unfortunately, this isn't a pre-season where we have 5-7 games to dress guys and see what they are capable of, it is just one game to get warmed up before the real meaningful games start.

On 7/19/2020 at 8:45 AM, MrCanuck94 said:

It's a drill for crying out loud.

What context does quoting some random person's comment from the comments section have lmao. Also, even if Hughes did get Juolevi to a "turn-still" in a drill, he's done that from his first game in the NHL on long-time veterans.

Just let OJ develop and hope for the best.

I'm guessing Fred hasn't participated in many of those from his couch,

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Provost said:

But Juolevi might be a better player than Benn or Fantenberg. If he has outplayed them in camp, why not throw him into a real game scenario in the exhibition?
The Avalanche threw Makar into the playoffs with no regular season experience last year. I don't think they regret doing that. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

But Juolevi might be a better player than Benn or Fantenberg. If he has outplayed them in camp, why not throw him into a real game scenario in the exhibition?
The Avalanche threw Makar into the playoffs with no regular season experience last year. I don't think they regret doing that. 

You really comparing makar and OJ? 

7 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I dont think he was could be wrong but I agree on the stance that if Juolevi outplays our 5/6/7 D no reason not to get him in some games. Not like you're hurting Benns development.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I dont think he was could be wrong but I agree on the stance that if Juolevi outplays our 5/6/7 D no reason not to get him in some games. Not like you're hurting Benns development.

Fair enough, just hope nobody has expectations of Olli coming in and dominating, 

5 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

No. They have completely different styles. But Makar was picked 4th overall, and Juolevi was picked 5th, so they were picked in similar spots in the draft. Going into their respective drafts, Juolevi was thought to be a safer pick because he won the Memorial Cup and World Juniors Gold, while Makar was coming from the AJHL.

This is not to mark down Makar, who is clearly one of the best young defensemen in the league, but to show how highly touted Juolevi was before roadblocks in his development. However, Juolevi has done pretty good in the Liiga and AHL, so he might make a smoother transition to the NHL than we think. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

No. They have completely different styles. But Makar was picked 4th overall, and Juolevi was picked 5th, so they were picked in similar spots in the draft. Going into their respective drafts, Juolevi was thought to be a safer pick because he won the Memorial Cup and World Juniors Gold, while Makar was coming from the AJHL.

This is not to mark down Makar, who is clearly one of the best young defensemen in the league, but to show how highly touted Juolevi was before roadblocks in his development. However, Juolevi has done pretty good in the Liiga and AHL, so he might make a smoother transition to the NHL than we think. 

I like the optimism, I’d be ecstatic if his game could transfer over to the nhl sooner than later and help free up some immediate cap space, I’m just sceptical about all the set backs he’s had over the past few years maybe having his confidence knocked if he can’t handle the nhl yet,

but I’m sorry I thought you were comparing him to coming in and being an offensive weapon like makar did last year, just read it out of context. 

Even being on the taxi squad would be a big plus for his development, letting him get the measure of legit NHL players in scrimmage and the benefit of NHL coaching.  With this kind of re-entry into the playoffs, there are going to be injuries so with Benn on paternity leave he might even get some limited game action on the third pairing, but realistically, he's no higher than 5th on the LD depth chart at the moment.  A bit of low pressure opportunity could see him move up, though.

• Cheers 1