The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

That is average size for an NHLer.

Dmen are trending smaller. Hughes, Fabbro, Girard, Ellis (to name a few) all say hi.

Having Julolevi at his size with his skating ability should be a nice add to our d corp down the road.

Olli and Rathbone, Rathbone and Olli,Olli, Rathbone, Olli.

We can have both. They both offer completely different skillsets. Olli has slick passing and is willing to pay the price infront of the net led Utica in blocked shots. Rathbone has speed too burn in the "new" NHL. We will see how effective he is in the NHL with it. 

I think the Canucks should lean towards a more active uptempo D and see if we cant unleash this teams offence. Lord knows we don't have the tools to play the trap shutdown hockey.  But we may be able to dominate at run and gun.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

People keep saying Juolevi is big or he has size.

No he doesn't. He is average.

Will he play at a heavier weight? Maybe...maybe not. He is already 22 years old. He might be at his maximum weight. You don't know. You are just assuming. 

So Juolevi is 6'3, 205lbs, 22 yrs old should turn into a #3 D man - His development has been slow due to injuries..

Juolevi has size 6'3 is tall but his frame is lean at 205lbs..

Jake 6'1 but he has bigger thicker body 220lbs

But Juoelvi has size as in height 6'3 is tall..

Once Benn leaves Juolevi can go back to his patented Jersey #4.

image.jpeg.42e51f799f0251f3e89b068ced56f765.jpeg

IIHF on Twitter: "2016 World Junior and Memorial Cup champion Olli ...

He wore 7 briefly with Finland at the WJC but that was when he was the teams captain briefly. ( 4 or 7 be nice :D)  He wears #48 now so I assume he would like to go to #4.

Edited by Rush17
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, naslundfan921 said:

Of our current D core only Hughes and Myers (given the lengthy contract) are long term locks so I don't quite understand why some are having this Juolevi v Rathbone or prior to that Juolevi v Rafferty argument. With Edler in his twilight, Tanev and potentially Stetcher gone this fall via free agency and the likes of Fanta, Benn as short term depth pieces, we will have more than enough spaces for these guys to play (provided they prove capable at this level). Moreover if any of our prospects do prove good enough to crack the roster this management has shown the willingness to let those who merit playing time get into the lineup even if it means burying big salary in the minors (Sven) or in the press box (Loui).

Remember having competition for spots is a good thing and having good assets in the system whether as depth, in the lineup or as a trade chip is essential. If you look back on our best teams from the WCE era to even the Sedins peak the one thing that we have often lacked is depth and young competition to battle for spots.  

It is a strawman arguement to allow those who cannot fathom that OJ has legit ability and now that he grown into his tall frame he can physically handle the NHL level of play.  

By changing the goal posts from OJ vs Serge pre draft and defence vs forward, OJ vs MT post draft and GMJB was a idiot, to even Rathbone is looking better than OJ (#bust#GMJB sucks#wasted pick) this last year while ignoring any possible reason other than stat lines, some are going as far as to compare the NCAA as equal to the AHL.  

Watch, if OJ isn't a flash in the pan, which he isn't, and he stays on the off ice training path he has finally found, then his obvious skill and ability to play with other skilled players would take over.

The same posters will disappear on this thread until OJ makes a boo boo and then they will come back... rinse, wash, repeat...  

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Giorgio Tsoukalos - Host of Ancient Aliens the tv show lol.

If you say so. Not only have I never heard Giorgio I've never heard of the show either. I'm more of a Masterpiece Theatre or Knowledge Network sort of guy

So, there’s a debate going on whether 6’3 200 lbs is considered “big”?

Why don’t you pick a fight with the next 6’3 200 lb dude at the bar and let us know...

Olli is above average sized, and if he gains even 10 lbs would be formidable. It’s his playing style that people are conflating with his body size. He doesn’t play big, but he undeniably is big.

43 minutes ago, nergish said:

So, there’s a debate going on whether 6’3 200 lbs is considered “big”?

Why don’t you pick a fight with the next 6’3 200 lb dude at the bar and let us know...

Olli is above average sized, and if he gains even 10 lbs would be formidable. It’s his playing style that people are conflating with his body size. He doesn’t play big, but he undeniably is big.

Yip, I noticed OJ used his positioning and leverage well. Doubt he ever becomes a physical player, just not his style. Being 6'3" is great for leverage and reach so really don't care if he's "physical" with his size. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Ur a Towel said:

You aren't correctly pointing out anything. You've had several people prove you wrong on this matter already.
Also, at this point you're just making yourself sound like a troll. If you're trying to actively trigger people, then you're doing a really bad job at it.

Geez towel...you sound pretty triggered.

All I did was point out that OJ is the average size of an NHLer.  No need for you to get all apoplectic!!

The last published work on “average size” for NHL players was done five years ago by Hockey Graphs:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/hockey-graphs.com/2015/03/05/nhl-forwards-vs-defensemen-height-weight-1917-18-to-2014-15/amp/

At the time of the 2014-15 season, the average NHL defenseman was around 6’2” and 205 lbs. Average player size had been pretty stable since the 1990’s, although there was some minor decline since a peak around 2004 (more decline in average weight than in height, however).

I’d expect that, if somebody ran the data today, they’d find the average NHL defenseman stood maybe a hair under 6’2” and weighed in around 200 lbs.

So roughly Olli Juolevi size. Maybe an inch shorter, and around the same weight.

I suppose that makes Olli slightly above average in size, at least technically. But if you stood Olli beside a cutout of the “average sized” NHL defenseman, I doubt you’d notice much, if any, difference.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2