The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 5/16/2017 at 7:42 PM, Blömqvist said:

There was a tier of similar players after the top 5 and Jake would have been right at that next pick of BPA according to Bob McKenzie, who surveys multiple scouts to make a "consensus" list. I would argue that McKenzie's list would be the true BPA as he does survey multiple scouts and ranks accordingly. Therefore, according to McKenzie Virtanen was the "consensus" seventh best player of that draft.

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Bennett

4. Draisaitl

5. Dal Colle

6. Ritchie

7. Virtanen

8. Fleury

9. Nylander

10. Ehlers

11. Kapanen

12. Larkin

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

In regards to Juolevi, I'm glad he will be working out here in Vancouver with their trainers. Judging by his comments, he'll be here just for a little while before going back to Finland. At least he'll get specific direction on workout and nutrition. Also a bonus getting coached and mentored by Sami Salo! Salo was probably the most underrated defenseman of the Sedin era... he was rock-solid defensively, could move the puck up with simple passes, and had enough offensive prowess to be out there on the powerplay and fire his cannon of a shot. Hopefully Juolevi can learn not just how to shoot better and harder but also insight on what it takes to be a pro and how to handle the position and physicality of the game.

ok you're right, I stand corrected!  thanks!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

He made the 3rd team. Who cares what the OHL thinks, the guy is a stud.

Keep in mind that Olli kept the same statistics on a team that went from having 3 players hit over 100 points (121,116,107), to the top 3 players having less than 90 (86,72,66). That is progression.

If he made the 1st team, OHL MVP, CHL MVP, was named best CHL D, etc etc we would all care. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rewatching some of the Knights games recently, I can't help but notice how good Victor Mete is (100th overall, MTL 2016). I'm beginning to question who is the better defenseman between Mete and Juolevi, and talking to some of the Knights fans and season ticket holders they were about equal this season. 

1 hour ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Rewatching some of the Knights games recently, I can't help but notice how good Victor Mete is (100th overall, MTL 2016). I'm beginning to question who is the better defenseman between Mete and Juolevi, and talking to some of the Knights fans and season ticket holders they were about equal this season. 

OJ, hands down. 

He was the all round guy.  OJ's game is hard to evaluate but it is clean and crisp. He does a lot of smart things from body positioning, stick work etc. The less eye catching and the stuff it takes years for many players to learn to be successful pros. 

I dont think many people will fully appreciate OJ's game and how well rounded it is compared to his peers.  Once he adds size and strength, he will seemlesy transition into a key cog of our defence. 

Of course that is IMO.  I am not a season ticket holder, but really like OJ's game.  He wasn't my choice, but he has turned me into a believer. 

EmW 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

Ask thewe london fans who had a better showing in the playoffs when things mattered.

• Upvote 3

Flash vs substance. OJ allows Mete to play the way he plays.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Did you notice who was on the ice at critical points in the games? That tells you who Hunter thinks is his best d-man.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

trolling.gif

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Definitely. 

Surprised he doesn't get bored of the schtick.  He is so transparent - ever post, every thread it is the same thing.   He clearly thinks he is being clever I guess.

Mete is a very good prospect who significantly increased his profile after the year that he had. Development in regards to defenseman is unpredictable so its hard to say exactly where his value stands. He is 5'10 and as much I decry people who focus too much on size rather than skill, with defenseman it can make a lot of difference. There are very few defenseman in the league that can successfully play at that size, and they are all players who rely on high IQ to overcome their physical deficiencies. The player that he needs to model his game around is Ryan Ellis but only time will tell whether he gets there. Suffice to say he has to overcome longer odds to get there.

IMO there is no comparison between Mete and Juolevi, they are in a whole different tier as prospects.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Toews said:

Mete is a very good prospect who significantly increased his profile after the year that he had. Development in regards to defenseman is unpredictable so its hard to say exactly where his value stands. He is 5'10 and as much I decry people who focus too much on size rather than skill, with defenseman it can make a lot of difference. There are very few defenseman in the league that can successfully play at that size, and they are all players who rely on high IQ to overcome their physical deficiencies. The player that he needs to model his game around is Ryan Ellis but only time will tell whether he gets there. Suffice to say he has to overcome longer odds to get there.

IMO there is no comparison between Mete and Juolevi, they are in a whole different tier as prospects.

Totally agree with you on this. Mete is a fine prospect, but he has a lot to prove with most of it being at higher levels of hockey due to his size. We're lucky to have Juolevi. 

12 hours ago, suitup said:

Totally agree with you on this. Mete is a fine prospect, but he has a lot to prove with most of it being at higher levels of hockey due to his size. We're lucky to have Juolevi. 

Hunter will round off Joulevi's game this winter. He will be a roster threat 2 seasons from now. 

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hunter will round off Joulevi's game this winter. He will be a roster threat 2 seasons from now. 

I'd say there's very little chance Juolevi isn't on the team after this upcoming season. All he needs to do is get stronger and faster. One more season and off season of training should easily do that if he doesn't make the team this year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I'd say there's very little chance Juolevi isn't on the team after this upcoming season. All he needs to do is get stronger and faster. One more season and off season of training should easily do that if he doesn't make the team this year.

I think Olli is on our team this season.  He will likely play in the third pair with Gudbranson.  He might even sit out some games and and train to get heavier.  I see him with us and playing around 60.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Seems like a tall order. I am personally not in any rush to see him in the lineup soon. I know when he is promoted he will do well for us whenever that may be. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

You could very well be right. Skill wise he is close now my concern is almost all about his build. He has to get bigger. If it takes a year in the AHL I am not concerned.  

I don't want to see the Canucks rush this guy, defensemen take time to develop...Nick Lidstrom didn't play in the NHL until 2 years after he was drafted, Duncan Keith 5 years after he was drafted,  there are exceptions of course. Guys like Doughty and Ekblad. But it will be better long term for OJ not to make the Canucks this fall. My two cents.

• Upvote 2