The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I found some old video of Lumme in a Canuck uniform (a very ugly uniform) and he is VERY similar to OJ in how they look up the ice all the time and even the first push off move.   Lumme was a very good player I would think (I am a little young to know for sure) but it appears he had an excellent NHL career.   Not saying any bearing on OJ but the similarities when pointed out to me were remarkable.   Any of your older types remember Lumme and able to comment?

Lumme was pretty solid.  Good skater, passer, could rush the puck, decent on the PP but not a true PPQB that could run it.  His patented play was lifting a high backhander out from behind his goalline on the PK.  Definitely a top-4 guy, but Juolevi has more upside.

OJ isn't a franchise guy, but that's okay.

He's a really good defender, and we like good defenders.

He needs to keep adding mass to allow himself to play hard minutes over an 82 game schedule. If he needs more time to do that, let him. But his hockey sense and puck skills are already there. I personally can't wait to see him working the blueline on a PP with the big boys, even if just in practice.

I'm happy with the way Stecher jumped into the lineup last year, and Olli is younger. But his overall potential is much higher, and he is smart enough to find a role and build from there, so he very well could be in the lineup in a few months... this upcoming season is still a massive question mark.

That goes for all teams though, of course..

12 hours ago, nergish said:

OJ isn't a franchise guy, but that's okay.

He's a really good defender, and we like good defenders.

He needs to keep adding mass to allow himself to play hard minutes over an 82 game schedule. If he needs more time to do that, let him. But his hockey sense and puck skills are already there. I personally can't wait to see him working the blueline on a PP with the big boys, even if just in practice.

I'm happy with the way Stecher jumped into the lineup last year, and Olli is younger. But his overall potential is much higher, and he is smart enough to find a role and build from there, so he very well could be in the lineup in a few months... this upcoming season is still a massive question mark.

That goes for all teams though, of course..

OJ played his 1st OHL season on a very offensive minded club and he got a good share of the points. Last year Hunter refocused his game into a more defensive role and he had a great season and still put up points. During the Mem Cup Hunter had Joulevi playing both the PP and PK and logging lots of TOI. It was very clear that Hunter valued OJ as his #1 d-man. I am hoping he spends another season in London playing for a NHL quality coach. The London roster should have more offence and we will see how Joulevi is played. I expect more offence from him. 

I do not think we can clearly estimate Joulevi's offensive upside yet. He has excellent ice vision and with NHL caliber team mates might surprise some fans.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

OJ played his 1st OHL season on a very offensive minded club and he got a good share of the points. Last year Hunter refocused his game into a more defensive role and he had a great season and still put up points. During the Mem Cup Hunter had Joulevi playing both the PP and PK and logging lots of TOI. It was very clear that Hunter valued OJ as his #1 d-man. I am hoping he spends another season in London playing for a NHL quality coach. The London roster should have more offence and we will see how Joulevi is played. I expect more offence from him. 

I do not think we can clearly estimate Joulevi's offensive upside yet. He has excellent ice vision and with NHL caliber team mates might surprise some fans.  

Yeah, that's what I mean.
Olli has been lucky to play with some great players in his junior career, but they're also lucky to have played with him. 
If he stays there he'll be relied upon even more, and we want him to adopt a workhorse mentality because that's exactly what we need him to be.

I don't really understand those who consider his last season a disappointment. Maybe a 'reality check' in that he is not really an allstar defenseman nor a franchise player, but he is good defender with great hockey sense and is an overall calming presence on the ice. His true offensive upside will start to poke out with other skilled players around him.

Bringing him to Vancouver to play with some of our skilled guys will be really fun to watch. He may not be ready for the fulltime grind, but we'll see pretty quickly how he looks in the preseason alongside Stecher, Brock, Bo, Goldy, etc. and even future teammates like Dahlen, 5th OA, etc.

Green is auditioning everybody, really. So these guys need to showcase what they can do with the puck and convince management that we have our future PP in order.

Olii should factor into that in a big way, if not right away.

On June 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Lumme was pretty solid.  Good skater, passer, could rush the puck, decent on the PP but not a true PPQB that could run it.  His patented play was lifting a high backhander out from behind his goalline on the PK.  Definitely a top-4 guy, but Juolevi has more upside.

That was one of his signature plays. But the one that was the most fun to watch was when he skated the puck forward. He must have been very good at head fakes, because it looked like he was just skating slowly straight forward with the puck, and as the defenders approached him, they would veer off to the side, as if he had a force field around him.

If OJ turns into a player like Lumme, I will have no complaints at all.

• Upvote 2

Really hope we don't rush and ruin Juolevi just because Sbisa and Tryamkin are gone. Lets hope Juolevi focusses on getting more physical, stronger and hopefully playing in the AHL sooner. I think we need to go the pathway of someone like Pouliot or Shea Theodore with Juolevi, rather than rush him into the NHL and break him. He needs to start playing against more physical forwards and men, and start that at the AHL rather than straight into one of the toughest divisions in the league. Getting his ankles broken by McDavid and Joe Thornton every other night would be the worst way to throw a defenceman into the NHL. 

Sign a UFA rather than ruin Juolevi's development, he could be an absolute gem if we develop and groom him correctly. No other bone-headed GMs and coaches toss a skinny puck moving defenceman into the NHL like this. Could be argued that Hutton and Stecher could have used a year in the AHL as well but we just had no depth, and now we're running into the same problems. Meanwhile the teams with good depth develop their rookies the right way and they end up as studs. Hopefully Holm and a UFA are enough to keep Juolevi away from the NHL.

Ideally we see him at the AHL next season (if he's eligible, otherwise junior again) and then 16-19 minutes a night for about 30-50 NHL games the following season. Then top-4, 20+ minutes a night the following season.

17 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Really hope we don't rush and ruin Juolevi just because Sbisa and Tryamkin are gone. Lets hope Juolevi focusses on getting more physical, stronger and hopefully playing in the AHL sooner. I think we need to go the pathway of someone like Pouliot or Shea Theodore with Juolevi, rather than rush him into the NHL and break him. He needs to start playing against more physical forwards and men, and start that at the AHL rather than straight into one of the toughest divisions in the league. Getting his ankles broken by McDavid and Joe Thornton every other night would be the worst way to throw a defenceman into the NHL. 

Sign a UFA rather than ruin Juolevi's development, he could be an absolute gem if we develop and groom him correctly. No other bone-headed GMs and coaches toss a skinny puck moving defenceman into the NHL like this. Could be argued that Hutton and Stecher could have used a year in the AHL as well but we just had no depth, and now we're running into the same problems. Meanwhile the teams with good depth develop their rookies the right way and they end up as studs. Hopefully Holm and a UFA are enough to keep Juolevi away from the NHL.

Ideally we see him at the AHL next season (if he's eligible, otherwise junior again) and then 16-19 minutes a night for about 30-50 NHL games the following season. Then top-4, 20+ minutes a night the following season.

He is not. I hope to see him go play in the Finnish league to play against bigger, stronger competition. 

11 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

He is not. I hope to see him go play in the Finnish league to play against bigger, stronger competition. 

That would be ideal, he's pretty much maxed out in junior at the moment. 1 year in the Finnish league, then a 40-40 split in the AHL-NHL the following season would be perfect. I hope he impressed at training camp, but not too much. We don't want another McCann-Virtanen situation on our hands.

On June 19, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

I found some old video of Lumme in a Canuck uniform (a very ugly uniform) and he is VERY similar to OJ in how they look up the ice all the time and even the first push off move.   Lumme was a very good player I would think (I am a little young to know for sure) but it appears he had an excellent NHL career.   Not saying any bearing on OJ but the similarities when pointed out to me were remarkable.   Any of your older types remember Lumme and able to comment?

A young Lumme or hopefully a young Tempo Numinum (sp?) from the Jets. 

Lumme to me was the best d man in the org for about a decade. I hope that's OJ's floor. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

So....we lost Sbisa but kept Tanev. What are the chances Juolevi makes the Canucks this year?

I think he will beat out Biega and Pedan for that 6th spot but if we sign a cheap UFA to a 1-2 year deal who can play 15 min a game, Juolevi might have to wait another year. Also Holm might have a shot for that 6th spot. 

I'd say his chances are 50%

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So....we lost Sbisa but kept Tanev. What are the chances Juolevi makes the Canucks this year?

I think he will beat out Biega and Pedan for that 6th spot but if we sign a cheap UFA to a 1-2 year deal who can play 15 min a game, Juolevi might have to wait another year. Also Holm might have a shot for that 6th spot. 

Give him his 9 games. Worst case scenario he gets a taste of the bigs and has a better understanding of what he needs to work on once he's sent back to junior. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

We did run with rookies in Stecher and Tryamkin last year, plus sophomore Hutton, so having one rookie this year shouldn't be an issue.  It's more the determination if he's physically ready to handle it.  Holm also has a good shot at the 6th spot, and it sounds as though Benning wants to pick up a puck-mover UFA.

On 2017-06-18 at 10:34 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Not a bad comparison but hopefully OJ has a much higher ceiling.  Lumme was a good defence man for the Canucks and is still somewhat of an ambassador for them.  

Just now, sonoman said:

Not a bad comparison but hopefully OJ has a much higher ceiling.  Lumme was a good defence man for the Canucks and is still somewhat of an ambassador for them.  

Lumme was a really good player.  Didn't we call him "Stone Face"?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Lumme was a really good player.  Didn't we call him "Stone Face"?

Don't recall that Alf.  I only saw a handful of live games going to BCIT in the early 80's (ugh, looking around the pillars at the top of the coliseum) Have been watching televised games since 1970 though.