The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Was just watching a bunch of footage on Juolevi from this year.  What an incredibly intelligent player he is.  Seems like he's always exactly where he needs to be.  He has a ridiculously accurate pass as well.  Just puts the puck right on the tape.

I know it was irritating watching Tkatchuk have a good year for Calgary but Juolevi is gonna make all his teammates better.  I would not be at all surprised if in hindsight we laugh about people wishing we had taken MT

:wub:

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2017 at 10:23 PM, nergish said:

OJ isn't a franchise guy, but that's okay.

He's a really good defender, and we like good defenders.

He needs to keep adding mass to allow himself to play hard minutes over an 82 game schedule. If he needs more time to do that, let him. But his hockey sense and puck skills are already there. I personally can't wait to see him working the blueline on a PP with the big boys, even if just in practice.

I'm happy with the way Stecher jumped into the lineup last year, and Olli is younger. But his overall potential is much higher, and he is smart enough to find a role and build from there, so he very well could be in the lineup in a few months... this upcoming season is still a massive question mark.

That goes for all teams though, of course..

How do you know he's not a franchise guy? hes still a teenager.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Was just watching a bunch of footage on Juolevi from this year.  What an incredibly intelligent player he is.  Seems like he's always exactly where he needs to be.  He has a ridiculously accurate pass as well.  Just puts the puck right on the tape.

I know it was irritating watching Tkatchuk have a good year for Calgary but Juolevi is gonna make all his teammates better.  I would not be at all surprised if in hindsight we laugh about people wishing we had taken MT

Defensemen are severely underrated. Their impact on the game is huge. Minutes-wise, Tkachuk may become a 16-20min/game forward who plays hard and creates offense, but Juolevi may become a 22-30min/game defensemen who does it all -- from shutting down top players (see Juolevi vs Vilardi), moving the puck up ice with passing and carrying the puck up on the breakout, to faciliting the offense with good reads and holds at the blue line, and to feeding guys for one timers and shot opportunities like he did with Laine and Puljujarvi at the WJC. Heck he has a good wrist shot and can snipe pucks in from the slot too.

If both reach their full potential, Juolevi will impact the game far more than Tkachuk.

• Upvote 4

On 6/25/2017 at 1:06 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

So....we lost Sbisa but kept Tanev. What are the chances Juolevi makes the Canucks this year?

I think he will beat out Biega and Pedan for that 6th spot but if we sign a cheap UFA to a 1-2 year deal who can play 15 min a game, Juolevi might have to wait another year. Also Holm might have a shot for that 6th spot. 

I'd say his chances are 50%

It depends he is ready for the NHL now with his Hockey IQ but is he physically ready? That is the only thing holding him back. I think he will be on the Canucks this year no question. A Juolevi-Gudbranson pairing would be good. That way Juolevi can transition the puck up ice and Gudbranson can help him in the D-zone clearing the front of the net. Also Guddy will make players on the opposing team stay honest and no one takes liberties on him. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Outsiders said:

It depends he is ready for the NHL now with his Hockey IQ but is he physically ready? That is the only thing holding him back. I think he will be on the Canucks this year no question. A Juolevi-Gudbranson pairing would be good. That way Juolevi can transition the puck up ice and Gudbranson can help him in the D-zone clearing the front of the net. Also Guddy will make players on the opposing team stay honest and no one takes liberties on him. 

That would be ideal, but Gudbranson wasn't exactly a huge physical presence this year. Hopefully he is better next year.

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

That would be ideal, but Gudbranson wasn't exactly a huge physical presence this year. Hopefully he is better next year.

I don't think we have seen the full Gudbranson yet. Remember he played with that bad wrist for a while before he was eventually shut down. Not making excuses bottom line he has to be better but I think we are going to see the nasty Gudbranson this year.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

I think the lack of other physical players on the team affects players like Gudbranson and Virtanen, when he was up. It's hard to be physical all the time and having to answer for it when you're one of the only ones doing it. 

1 minute ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I think the lack of other physical players on the team affects players like Gudbranson and Virtanen, when he was up. It's hard to be physical all the time and having to answer for it when you're one of the only ones doing it. 

Frustrating I know. Hopefully Labate can make the team ( and hopefully he gets a step quicker )

Labate-Gaunce-Dorsett looks good to me. 

46 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I'm not sure if you've played hockey or not before but if you have you'd know this isn't true.

3 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

I'm not sure if you've played hockey or not before but if you have you'd know this isn't true.

Uh actually I have and still do. If you're the only one on your team willing to finish checks and fight it gets old and tiring pretty fast watching every one else do fly bys. Especially on a bottom feeder. You need more then 1 or 2 guys doing it every night. Especially in Virtanens case. His physical play pretty much disappeared after he lost that one fight, probably cause he knew if he threw another big hit there's no one else to stand up for him especially after Prusts comments and he's never really been a fighter. I'm not sayin this is the only reason but it's most likely part of it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Uh actually I have and still do. If you're the only one on your team willing to finish checks and fight it gets old and tiring pretty fast watching every one else do fly bys. Especially on a bottom feeder. You need more then 1 or 2 guys doing it every night. Especially in Virtanens case. His physical play pretty much disappeared after he lost that one fight, probably cause he knew if he threw another big hit there's no one else to stand up for him especially after Prusts comments and he's never really been a fighter. I'm not sayin this is the only reason but it's most likely part of it.

Agreed. It just seems way more work if you're doing it all yourself. You feel like you're working your balls of for nothing. No impact.  

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Gudbranson and Dorsett both back should help in that department. Also why I hope to see us sign Kane next summer. 

Hell definitely get a shot this camp but he is still young and Dmen take a while to develop so I wouldnt be surprised to see at least 2-3 more years in the AHL before he cracks the nucks full time.

That said, most have already written him off as by then MT should probably have at least 3 first ballot all star selections plus a couple Conn Smythe trophies.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Didn't we take our best two players ever top five, and had to wait several years for them to develop into the stars who led us to our best decade of hockey?  

Not to mention defensemen generally take longer to make the big show. How many years did Darnell nurse take? Im sure theres many more examples. No point rushing juolevi imo 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ronaldoescobar said:

Patience is not a virtue for a lot of posters.... 

I would still take OJ at 5 and think it was one of our best picks as a franchise despite all those jumping on MT's d^*k because he played in the NHL last season.

:)  bingo!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Not to mention defensemen generally take longer to make the big show. How many years did Darnell nurse take? Im sure theres many more examples. No point rushing juolevi imo 

So true.  Just look back at Larry Robinson.  He spent 2 full seasons in the AHL developing after Junior.  He turned out pretty good.  And Duncan Keith too took until he was older, before he developed his game.  By all accounts OJ is a guy who is super smart, skilled, and competitive.  He is worth waiting for.