The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't see Hutton as a long term fit personally. 

Edler Stetcher

Hutton Tanev

MDZ Gud

Wirecrotch Holm

That lineup doesn't look any stronger at this point if you flip Juo for Hutton weather its present or future. I'd say Juo will be replacing MDZ when he is ready. There is no reason to trade Hutton I can't imagine teams are making wild offers for him and hes a serviceable puck mover who is young enough to grow with the team and can play now in a tweener #4/5 role for us. I really see no reason to move a player like that unless a team is throwing a 1st round pick in next years draft at us.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Man this might mean goodbye Hutton... September's going to be real interesting.

With the Canucks terrible luck and the fact that some of the team has to travel half way across the world to play pre-season games, I honestly would not be surprised if one or two guys on the back end went down with injuries before the season even started. It seems to happen every year, and thus opening a spot for Juolevi (barring a solid training camp of course). 

I really hope the UFA signings JB just did keep Juolevi at bay so he can develop properly, rather than get shelled on a nightly basis and lose all confidence with the Canucks. We don't want another Virtanen-McCann situation on our hands.

Juolevi essentially has to be better than all our lefties. Edler, Hutton and Del Zotto are pretty much locked in our top-6, I don't see Juolevi beating out those guys without any consistent NHL experience. Hutton's deserved his spot and could have a monster year. Del Zotto has certainly earned his spot. The big battle will be between Juolevi and Holm, and even if Juolevi is better now, I'd rather not keep him around as our 7th defenceman sitting in the press-box for half the season. He's going to learn more back at junior, even if he doesn't improve that much, playing consistently at a higher level is more important than 30 games with a struggling Canucks team that gets bombed every night. 

Give Juolevi his 9 games for fun, see where he's at compared to our other defencemen but send him right back to junior. The SHL would be an interesting option as well. Then next season, he slots into Utica's lineup and is our first call-up, and probably ends up playing 20-40 games with the Canucks.

At this point in his development, I'd rather throw in Holm and Wiercioch than rush Juolevi into the NHL, even if he does seem ready. He would really have to blow people away offensively and be sound defensively to stick with the Canucks and he's just not that flashy a player.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Apparently been a fixture at the gym.   Clearly wants this badly.

Out of the draft he said it was his goal to make the Canucks, but many prospects say that.  He knew what he needed to work on and... he definitely seems to have accomplished it.  He's already bigger than Tanev now, and has passed Brisebois despite being a year younger.  Well done, Olli!

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Man this might mean goodbye Hutton... September's going to be real interesting.

I still maintain that Hutton has more offensive upside, and is still adjusting to a similar weight gain this past year as Ollie.  I wouldn't be so fast to move him yet -- despite not being very physical, he's above-average size and has very good mobility.  And I also maintain that Juolevi will make the Canucks within two years of his draft, as his game is just too NHL-ready.  The only limiting factor was size and strength, and he just may have reached that sufficiency.  Like Boeser, he is one of our few prospects who may never see an AHL game.

Edited by Hutton Wink

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Out of the draft he said it was his goal to make the Canucks, but many prospects say that.  He knew what he needed to work on and... he definitely seems to have accomplished it.  He's already bigger than Tanev now, and has passed Brisebois despite being a year younger.  Well done, Olli!

I still maintain that Hutton has more offensive upside, and is still adjusting to a similar weight gain this past year as Ollie.  I wouldn't be so fast to move him yet -- despite not being very physical, he's above-average size and has very good mobility.  And I also maintain that Juolevi will make the Canucks within two years of his draft, as his game is just too NHL-ready.  The only limiting factor was size and strength, and he just may have reached that sufficiency.  Like Boeser, he is one of our few prospects who may never see an AHL game.

I don't disagree. Hutton's got solid, 2nd pair upside. And I'd only move him if I got corresponding value.

But if we can't/won't move Edler (yet - somebody needs to play 1st pair) and with MDZ, Wiercioch, Juolevi, McEneny, Pedan, Holm...(I think I've lost count) available, if Juolevi was to make the club...who else do you move from the starting 3 left D?

If management doesn't see Hutton as a long term fit...

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, higgyfan said:

He probably was closer to 190 by the end of the season, so I don't think +10 lbs is all that much for a young guy in training.

We'll see.  There was the one guy who ran into a guy that looked like Juolevi only with a belly then saw Goldobin walk out of the elevator as well to only realize that it was Juolevi...just fatter

Olli is ready mentally, in terms of ability, and now physically...

He's also a coach's dream and would put in all the necessary work to stick in the NHL...

But I'd still keep him away from Vancouver for one more year. His development is arguably the most important factor in this rebuild. 

He knows the entire organization is gaga over him, and he knows how important he is to their plans for the future. He's smart enough to realize that NOT rushing him is actually doing him a service and shows utmost commitment to his game and/or career.

We have lots of shiny toys to look at this upcoming season, we don't need Olli to fill seats or keep the games from becoming too boring.

Positionally there would be way more pressure on Olli than guys like Boeser, Goldobin, Rodin, Burmistrov. 

There's way too much going on with this lineup, and a brand new coach, to toss Juolevi into that mix.

It would have been too perfect if he was able to play in Utica...

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

We'll see.  There was the one guy who ran into a guy that looked like Juolevi only with a belly then saw Goldobin walk out of the elevator as well to only realize that it was Juolevi...just fatter

Fatter?   I have seen a bunch of photos on Instagram from dryland work many I know are doing at Whistler (I think or Backcomb, I cannot tell them apart) where a bunch of the young Canucks also seem to be in town and doing drylands or something (I don't know, someone in the know on CDC may know as I thought they were going to be at UBC).   Juolevi looks massive and ripped - like he has been working out since last camp and his age finally is allowing muscle to develop or something.   Even their group shot the Canucks website was first using for the camp showed a ripped dude.    Fat is the last thing I would call him - he looks Edlerish already.   That is why I think he is going to surprise a lot of people with his physical presence.    Kid is bigger than I remember from draft last year that is for sure (seems to have grown at least an inch too).  

For what it is worth, it appears Gadjovich stole some mid 20s guy who is a fitness freak and put a 18 year old head on it.   The guy is a beast and if he can get his skating down, those wanting the Canucks to have someone who creates a lot of space may really like this guy.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

I don't disagree. Hutton's got solid, 2nd pair upside. And I'd only move him if I got corresponding value.

But if we can't/won't move Edler (yet - somebody needs to play 1st pair) and with MDZ, Wiercioch, Juolevi, McEneny, Pedan, Holm...(I think I've lost count) available, if Juolevi was to make the club...who else do you move from the starting 3 left D?

If management doesn't see Hutton as a long term fit...

Edler's time is up.  He's the first dman to reach Benning's "we will trade them before they become diminishing assets" standard.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Edler's time is up.  He's the first dman to reach Benning's "we will trade them before they become diminishing assets" standard.

I'd be shocked if he gets moved anywhere close to the beginning of this year if at all. Don't see him waiving and don't see Benning moving our only, currently legit top 4 D on the left.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nergish said:

Olli is ready mentally, in terms of ability, and now physically...

He's also a coach's dream and would put in all the necessary work to stick in the NHL...

But I'd still keep him away from Vancouver for one more year. His development is arguably the most important factor in this rebuild. 

He knows the entire organization is gaga over him, and he knows how important he is to their plans for the future. He's smart enough to realize that NOT rushing him is actually doing him a service and shows utmost commitment to his game and/or career.

We have lots of shiny toys to look at this upcoming season, we don't need Olli to fill seats or keep the games from becoming too boring.

Positionally there would be way more pressure on Olli than guys like Boeser, Goldobin, Rodin, Burmistrov. 

There's way too much going on with this lineup, and a brand new coach, to toss Juolevi into that mix.

It would have been too perfect if he was able to play in Utica...

Good point, Nerg.

It really is too bad he can't go to Utica.  I don't know what else he can do in the Jrs.

14 hours ago, TheHitman said:

I still think this is going to be our top 4 in a couple of seasons...

Juolevi-Hutton 
Brisebois-Gudbranson 

Benning already tried to trade "Guddy" for Demers but the trade was nixed because Demers had Van on his no go list.

Shocker I know.

• Upvote 1