The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

In fact, I'd say that anyone suggesting or "reporting" that the Canucks are looking to move Gudbranson are actually anti-fans.  Why?  Because with the roster the way it is, to give up the only real physical presence other than a crippled Dorsett (especially after losing Sbisa) will make us even more of a pushover team

Same I've been saying about the tankers who want to trade Tanev.  Destroying the team for a slightly increased chance at draft picks doesn't sound like a decent fan to me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Same I've been saying about the tankers who want to trade Tanev.  Destroying the team for a slightly increased chance at draft picks doesn't sound like a decent fan to me.

It has 5% to do with that, and 95% to do with the expected return for Tanev in futures.

Tanev will be seriously regressing in 3-5 years, which is when the Canucks can realistically hope to start challenging for anything meaningful. However, the picks prospects acquired in a Tanev trade will be coming into their prime, and one of them might be the piece to take us to a new level.

Even with Tanev, we have been a bottom-feeder for 2 of the last 3 years - and most of our key players are regressing. Why keep Tanev? Just to win a few extra games, and maybe shoot for 80 points? Why not get the assets that may help when it means something? Why continue to meander in mediocrity?

Being a "decent fan" doesn't mean you have to be stupid. The 'trade Tanev' club is full of long-standing, loyal fans...they just also happen to know some simple math.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It has 5% to do with that, and 95% to do with the expected return for Tanev in futures.

Tanev will be seriously regressing in 3-5 years, which is when the Canucks can realistically hope to start challenging for anything meaningful. However, the picks prospects acquired in a Tanev trade will be coming into their prime, and one of them might be the piece to take us to a new level.

Even with Tanev, we have been a bottom-feeder for 2 of the last 3 years - and most of our key players are regressing. Why keep Tanev? Just to win a few extra games, and maybe shoot for 80 points? Why not get the assets that may help when it means something? Why continue to meander in mediocrity?

Being a "decent fan" doesn't mean you have to be stupid. The 'trade Tanev' club is full of long-standing, loyal fans...they just also happen to know some simple math.

Excellent post.  I'm betting Juiolevvi makes our team, and is really good.  Hopefully JB then pulls the trigger and ships out Tanev for young assets/ picks.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

most of our key players are regressing.

Most of your key players are prospects and young players.    Only two "key players" that are regressing are HOF locks - Sedans.  Even regressed Sedans are top 6 players but that wasn't your point.   No one else "key" ave Tanev and if you are going to move him, he may be most valuable he will ever be at next season's trade deadline.   

For this team, the key players are the draft picks the past three/four seasons and the young players acquired - those are the keys to the future.   Everyone else, including the Sedins now, are placeholders until the next up cycle for this team.

28 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Plus Sami Salo has been brought in to help with development camp and to give extra attention to OJ.

I hope he wasn't brought in to teach him how to look for snakes or use kitchen utensils.   

• Upvote 3

Still maintaining that Edler is first on the block. 

They've surely known of late that Juolevi is going to seriously push for a spot, they signed Holm (LHS) who is "almost NHL-ready", and now grabbed two more experienced LHSs in free agency.  Then we have Pedan and McEneny (again, both LHS) as our next-two D prospects knocking at the door.  The kicker is Benning's "we will move players before they become diminishing assets" comment.

All signs point to Edler being moved.  Maybe not this summer, but odds-on by the TDL.  Clock's ticking.

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I did

Your "multiple sources" ALL lead back to Botchford.

All of them.

If you can prove otherwise fine, otherwise, just stop

At this point it doesn't matter. Friedman and Lebrun are confirmed legit sources so any tidbits they pass along have to have some merit.

Again at the end of the day you can believe what you will and Benning will never come out and admit he tried to trade for a guy and was rejected.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I hope he wasn't brought in to teach him how to look for snakes or use kitchen utensils.   

as long as they're not teaching "blocking shots with your junk 101" or playing floorball as a team building exercise, they should probably be ok. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So any rumor TSN reports is fact?

I guess you believe everything you see on fox news too...

Critical thinking people, it's important!

Since when did TSN the Canadian ESPN lose its credibility?

Sportsnet had it before Elliot speculated Canucks were in hot pursuit of Demers.

I know Trump has whipped up an anti mainstream Fake News movement.

But this is just laughable to think TSN would spread rumors without fact checking and publish a full article on their site.

Take off the tinfoil hats everyone.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ColeTr11 said:

Man if Olli can add 5-10 pounds of muscle while still getting faster I could see him forcing his way into the lineup

Hes already gained 13lbs this year and is up to 200lbs I don't think weight will be an issue anymore

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I personally do not believe the Demers rumor. And I didn't even realize Botchford was the original source. Demers just doesn't seem like a fit to me.

I think the rumour made it sound like we were actively pursuing him, but it was more so of a cap dump that we were willing to take to get back a pick or something. If the deal happened, perhaps we don't sign Del Zotto. I have heard some speculation somewhere that possibly Florida was interested in reacquiring Gudbranson as well and it could be likely as he is a UFA after this season and there are question marks whether he will want to re-sign here. I don't know if there would be any connection to that and the Demers rumour though.

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

I personally do not believe the Demers rumor. And I didn't even realize Botchford was the original source. Demers just doesn't seem like a fit to me.

Yeah man. Where would he fit? 

I can see it as a cap dump, but not as a trade for Gudbranson....

12 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Since when did TSN the Canadian ESPN lose its credibility?

Sportsnet had it before Elliot speculated Canucks were in hot pursuit of Demers.

I know Trump has whipped up an anti mainstream Fake News movement.

But this is just laughable to think TSN would spread rumors without fact checking and publish a full article on their site.

Take off the tinfoil hats everyone.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/haste-made-waste-in-the-race-to-be-first-on-iginla-on-social-media/article10479612/

Yup.....never happened before without checking their sources ;)

• Upvote 1

So at 200 pounds, I don't see Juolevi suffering from the usual issues seen by guys packing on that kind of muscle, I actually expect him to lose 7 to 10 pounds of that as he increase his lean mass.

If anything I expect him to be stronger and faster based on this kind of gain.  Really getting excited but still hoping he doesn't get shoved in at the deep end this year

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So at 200 pounds, I don't see Juolevi suffering from the usual issues seen by guys packing on that kind of muscle, I actually expect him to lose 7 to 10 pounds of that as he increase his lean mass.

If anything I expect him to be stronger and faster based on this kind of gain.  Really getting excited but still hoping he doesn't get shoved in at the deep end this year

Karlson listed as 191... don't think 200 an issue at all