The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Well for me it's simple, do you trust Corey Pronman more than you trust Benning as an assessor of talent that's the question. I'd give JB the nod. Lets be honest half the journalists would need two try's to get their jock strap on the right way

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Well for me it's simple, do you trust Corey Pronman more than you trust Benning as an assessor of talent that's the question. I'd give JB the nod. Lets be honest half the journalists would need two try's to get their jock strap on the right way

Pronman knows his stuff.  I think the ranking is for the prospects as a whole and not just last draft where OJ was taken 5th.  So to have him ranked that high is a testament to Benning's scouting and talent evaluation.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Pronman knows his stuff.  I think the ranking is for the prospects as a whole and not just last draft where OJ was taken 5th.  So to have him ranked that high is a testament to Benning's scouting and talent evaluation.

This.  I'm impressed that he rates Juolevi over Provorov, who's had an extra year of development that went well by any standard. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

This.  I'm impressed that he rates Juolevi over Provorov, who's had an extra year of development that went well by any standard. 

I wonder if Pronman took heavily into consideration WJC, CHL playoffs, and the Memorial Cup performances, and the fact that Juolevi shined in all and at a younger age.

• Upvote 1

I think Pronman mainly ranks players based on what he sees is their potential upside in the NHL (he's got Laine at #1, Matthews #2). Given that it's harder to project how D-men will translate and that their development time is usually longer, he usually ranks Fs higher than Ds. Evidence: No D-men in the top 10, only 3 in the top 20 (Werenski, Juolevi & Provorov). Given this knowledge. I believe it's actually a big positive for Olli to be ranked 14th (even if there are some forwards ahead of him that were picked later than 5th overall).

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Found it pretty interesting Corey pronman has Juolevi as the 14th best prospect. 2nd dman behind Werenski (12) but ahead of Provorov (18)  

Tried googling around the paywall without luck...where did he rate Tkachuck out of curiosity?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Tried googling around the paywall without luck...where did he rate Tkachuck out of curiosity?

nvm

Edited by Odd.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Tkachuk was number 9. With that being said pronman said he always ranks D below forwards becuase there so hard to predict there success. That's why no defensemen  in the top 10. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheHockeyNerds said:

Tkachuk was number 9. With that being said pronman said he always ranks D below forwards becuase there so hard to predict there success. That's why no defensemen  in the top 10. 

And only Provorov and Werenski are ahead of Juolevi. Rightfully so.

49 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Well on Pronmans list OJ is ahead of Provorov. I'm a huge Canuck and Flyers fan and no way would I put OJ ahead of Provorov but what do I know haha 

Oh. I disagree with that too. Provorov should be ahead.

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Why? Juolevi had a dream season. I have no problem with where the two of them are ranked. Pronman is a tool though.

Just that the fact that IP is a better defensemen!  Offensively better, and just as high of a hockey iq. Btw he also had a pretty year too. Whl champion, WJ silver medalist and chl dman of the year! That said OJ should be a good one haha 

32 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Just that the fact that IP is a better defensemen!  Offensively better, and just as high of a hockey iq. Btw he also had a pretty year too. Whl champion, WJ silver medalist and chl dman of the year! That said OJ should be a good one haha 

Of course he is he has 1 more year of development than juolevi...

• Upvote 1