The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

*Zero structure pond hockey.

A guy whose game is 90% cerebral is never going to look great. It's the dynamic guys who excel at these things.

Reserve judgement until you see him in more structured preseason with real hockey players who know where they're supposed to be. And even then, he's 18 damn years old.

'Zero structure?' The only Canuck game I got to was the Jets. I thought the score flattered the Jets to a degree as the Canucks had a more consistent attack.

Even when Joulevi got caught along the boards which resulted in a goal wasn't that big a deal. As you rightly reminded fans he only turned 18 a couple months ago. If anything he was conservative and rarely took any chances. Joulevi, Cassels and Stecher stood out as players who were always checking their position.

IMHO if we are judging Canuck talent then I give Coach Green a big thumbs up. Someone has to be complimented on bringing a group of prospects into a cohesive team effort. I expect mistakes and there were a few but not enough to write anyone off. Not fair but I was hoping that McKenzie Stewart would have played a heavier game. That comment could be shared by a few more as well.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

'Zero structure?'

IMHO if we are judging Canuck talent then I give Coach Green a big thumbs up. Someone has to be complimented on bringing a group of prospects into a cohesive team effort.

Fair enough, I agree Greene seemed to do a great job of giving that hodge podge at least something resembling moderate cohesiveness.

That said, the tourney is barely above beer league in a lot of ways. Players aren't always where they 'should' be and even if they are, don't necessarily go/do where they're supposed right after. It's great for guys who like to go end to end and play selfish but it's FAR from structured NHL play.

The opposition is just as all over the map. It simply doesn't flatter cerebral players.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Reserve judgement until you see him in more structured preseason with real hockey players who know where they're supposed to be. And even then, he's 18 damn years old.

I am reserving judgement until he is 23-25 which is the expected age that young Dmen come into their own.

I was only making observations from what I saw in Penticton. I still have high hopes for this kid and hope he becomes everything that the Canucks see in him, and more!

6 hours ago, MickVega said:

Well, I guess it's time to write off Juolevi. I mean, he is already 18, was drafted a whole 3 months ago, was playing with players he'd had maybe 4-5 practices with in the first games of the year and he STILL made a couple bad plays. Like, who cares about all the little things he did right, you know, 98% of his play. Obviously he busted. 

#shouldhavedradtedTkschmuck

LOL!!!

6 hours ago, MickVega said:

Well, I guess it's time to write off Juolevi. I mean, he is already 18, was drafted a whole 3 months ago, was playing with players he'd had maybe 4-5 practices with in the first games of the year and he STILL made a couple bad plays. Like, who cares about all the little things he did right, you know, 98% of his play. Obviously he busted. 

Sarcasm... Right?

1 hour ago, DJSkingz said:

I am reserving judgement until he is 23-25 which is the expected age that young Dmen come into their own.

I was only making observations from what I saw in Penticton. I still have high hopes for this kid and hope he becomes everything that the Canucks see in him, and more!

Olli's play made Strecher look good. It allowed him to take chances and go on rushes. He stated this in a post game interview. Juolevi has a subtle game, like Tanev, that is not flashy and remarkably efficient.  

He hopefully can be a much better offence contributer at the NHL, but he does look to be Tanev version 2.0 on defence.  His confidence in his own abilities really comes across in interviews. It isn't brash or cocky, I can see why his interviews at the combine were off the charts. 

A pairing of Tanev and Juolevi would be great to see at camp. It might allow us to assess Juolevi's offence as he could rely on Tanev cover him. It would be a pairing that would be really frustrating to Forecheck against. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sarcasm... Right?

Ha. Totally, I'm way too much of a homer to even give the Canucks prospects an objective assessment let alone a negative one. I'm the guy who thinks the Canucks have an honest shot at the Cup at the start of every year. Smart-assery is just a part of my nature. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Fair enough, I agree Greene seemed to do a great job of giving that hodge podge at least something resembling moderate cohesiveness.

That said, the tourney is barely above beer league in a lot of ways. Players aren't always where they 'should' be and even if they are, don't necessarily go/do where they're supposed right after. It's great for guys who like to go end to end and play selfish but it's FAR from structured NHL play.

The opposition is just as all over the map. It simply doesn't flatter cerebral players.

Agreed.  The one thing I'd add is that our D's ability to transition the puck well out of our end made our questionable group of forwards look almost decent, and certainly better than they really are, particularly in the Winnipeg game. 

21 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agreed.  The one thing I'd add is that our D's ability to transition the puck well out of our end made our questionable group of forwards look almost decent, and certainly better than they really are, particularly in the Winnipeg game. 

Agreed. 

I will say Juovelli wasn't especially noticable during the Youngstars, but Stetcher loomed large in the spotlight.

That doesn't mean I think Juovelli was bad, I think we noticed other players on his shifts, such as Stetcher, and not Juovelli because that's what good young defensemen do. He complemented the team and didn't play out of position.

On 21/09/2016 at 10:16 AM, MickVega said:

CDC in a nutshell

On 9/22/2016 at 6:34 AM, Madwolf said:

I will say Juovelli wasn't especially noticable during the Youngstars, but Stetcher loomed large in the spotlight.

That doesn't mean I think Juovelli was bad, I think we noticed other players on his shifts, such as Stetcher, and not Juovelli because that's what good young defensemen do. He complemented the team and didn't play out of position.

ir1fq8X.jpg

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

A year ago we went Into the year hoping we sucked and get the chance to pick the top rated dman in the draft. At the time it was j chycrun. At the end of the day we still came out with the best defender and I think In 10 years we drafted the best dman from this draft. So excited about this kid.

might be a while before we see him in Canuck colors full time. unless he impresses so much the coaching staff and management with his play this preseason. it'll be London for this kid. and why not. such a good junior program. think this might be one of the few moments in Canuck history where the fanbase is excited about a defensive prospect. the other time. it's got to be Ohlund, no? correct me if i'm wrong 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

might be a while before we see him in Canuck colors full time. unless he impresses so much the coaching staff and management with his play this preseason. it'll be London for this kid. and why not. such a good junior program. think this might be one of the few moments in Canuck history where the fanbase is excited about a defensive prospect. the other time. it's got to be Ohlund, no? correct me if i'm wrong 

I'm hoping he can go back to London and develop a more dynamic offensive game.

It's great to have a guy that makes good decisions with the puck in his own zone, but we need more than that from a 5th overall pick IMO. We need a guy that can drive the offense from the back end, walk the line on the powerplay and get shots through with ease, and basically play big minutes in any situation. He's got a good foundation for that, but he just needs to keep working at it. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm hoping he can go back to London and develop a more dynamic offensive game.

It's great to have a guy that makes good decisions with the puck in his own zone, but we need more than that from a 5th overall pick IMO. We need a guy that can drive the offense from the back end, walk the line on the powerplay and get shots through with ease, and basically play big minutes in any situation. He's got a good foundation for that, but he just needs to keep working at it. 

yep. oh i agree. not disagreeing with ya. 

patience is absolutely needed for Juolevi's development. i'm expecting him to go back to London and continue to dominate and gain confidence and continue to work on his game. i wonder if management is considering giving him his 9 game stint when the season begins. 

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

yep. oh i agree. not disagreeing with ya. 

patience is absolutely needed for Juolevi's development. i'm expecting him to go back to London and continue to dominate and gain confidence and continue to work on his game. i wonder if management is considering giving him his 9 game stint when the season begins. 

The more games the better for him, but I don't think there's enough room on the blueline.

They'd have to put someone on waivers for him to get his 9 games. I don't see that happening.

41 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Ohlund and Bourdon. I think Juolevi will be just fine in London.