The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

47 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I see it more like edmonton and calgary have no clue how to develop players properly. You understand matthews and laine being ready. Tkachuk though.... he'll have a shoulder injury sooner rather than later 

I dunno he's 6'2, 205. Looks like he belongs so far.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

He didn't have the greatest pre-season either.

according to some jackets at hfboards.com he wasn't very good, tried to do the "right" thing one too many times, very tentative in the way he plays and was driving the play, they went on to even say, "maybe its best he plays left wing" type of comments.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

according to some jackets at hfboards.com he wasn't very good, tried to do the "right" thing one too many times, very tentative in the way he plays and was driving the play, they went on to even say, "maybe its best he plays left wing" type of comments.

Well they're gonna have to get used to Dubois playing center. That's the whole reason why CBJ drafted Dubois. I mean yeah they could change him back to a winger, but they'll be kicking themselves as Puljujarvi is the better winger. CBJ took a risky pick in Dubois. If I can recall, he became listed as a top 10 pick when he had an amazing 2nd half to the season.

I wouldn't sweat it though. This guy was my favourite player leading up to the draft until CBJ fooled all of us. 6'3 200lbs, even if he doesn't become a center, he's going to be a very good player.

Edited by Odd.

3 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Two assists for OJ  today in a 5-1 London win.  He ha 5 points in 6 games.  

9 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

A pair of assists for Juolevi tonight gives him 1-4-5 in six games on the year now.

Thanks guys. I'm glad you agree on his stats tonight. 

13 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

A pair of assists for Juolevi tonight gives him 1-4-5 in six games on the year now.

7 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Two assists for OJ  today in a 5-1 London win.  He ha 5 points in 6 games.  

Bless you guys. I'm joyed to see that you can concur on his points this evening.

29 minutes ago, Kass said:

Bless you guys. I'm joyed to see that you can concur on his points this evening.

There was no stat tonite so I took the time to post it.  While I was looking stonecold posted. WOW!!!!   Time for sarcasm.

Edited by clam linguine
  • Upvote 1

On 10/15/2016 at 3:05 PM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I see it more like edmonton and calgary have no clue how to develop players properly. You understand matthews and laine being ready. Tkachuk though.... he'll have a shoulder injury sooner rather than later 

I think Tkachuk is physically ready. From what I've seen his skating isn't there yet though. I'm guessing Calgary sends him back to London before game ten, if not they'll likely live to regret it.

^^^^. IDK when it will happen, but sure as $&!# it will happen;)

Too many hockey 'fans' think development is a short game and the first player to make it in the NHL is always the best from every draft class.  

It takes 5 years to determine drafted players development.  Ollie was a project due to his smaller size, not his skill or ability.  I was on the fence between JC and OJ.  I wanted JC due to his size and thought the detractors were overselling his weaknesses. I liked OJ too, but he was going to need some time to grow.  I still think JB made the right draft choice, even if I was more keen on JC.  

The thing that I like about OJ, is his personal drive/ego. This guy is quietly going to surprise a lot of fans when he makes the club. He makes his own confidence and is very sure if his abilities.  That's the part we fans don't see when scouting prospects, we don't actually get to talk to the players. After seeing some post draft interviews I can see why OJ rocked the interview portion of the combine. 

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

How long until CDC jump on the "Should have drafted Chychrun" bandwagon?

3 points in 3 games, playing 18+ minutes a night.

We got the best D imo but a lot of teams after us should be kicking themselves IMO. JC should have gone top 10.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

We got the best D imo but a lot of teams after us should be kicking themselves IMO. JC should have gone top 10.

Yeah, he definitely shouldn't have fallen that far. Unlike many others, I really had a hard time putting much separation in my rankings of the top-3 Ds in the draft.

And given JC's physical maturity and skating, it's not all together surprising he's been able to make the jump early. He was arguably the most "NHL ready" of the bunch IMO.

But I do agree that we drafted the best player available. Juolevi's mental game sets him apart from the others. His upside is extremely high. He just needs some time to develop physically (which we knew when we selected him). 

So no buyer's remorse. We picked the best D in the draft. And when we look at these guys around five years from now, I think that picture will be much clearer.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, he definitely shouldn't have fallen that far. Unlike many others, I really had a hard time putting much separation in my rankings of the top-3 Ds in the draft.

And given JC's physical maturity and skating, it's not all together surprising he's been able to make the jump early. He was arguably the most "NHL ready" of the bunch IMO.

But I do agree that we drafted the best player available. Juolevi's mental game sets him apart from the others. His upside is extremely high. He just needs some time to develop physically (which we knew when we selected him). 

So no buyer's remorse. We picked the best D in the draft. And when we look at these guys around five years from now, I think that picture will be much clearer.

I gotta agree with this.  What makes players stars at the NHL level is usually a high hockey IQ and vision.  Players that physically mature earlier than others can be drafted higher because they are bigger and stronger at the Junior level, but get them playing against men and that advantage disappears.  I think OJ will be a star for us, but it may take a few years.  He is still pretty slight for his age.

My hope for Juolevi is that he becomes PPG while continue improving his smooth skating defense and putting on some strength and elusiveness to his game.

A tall order, but if adding on strength and elusiveness is the only thing he does without sacrificing what he already has than I'd be pretty happy with that. 

I'm actually pretty glad he's taking his time in junior. I think he'll be a real stud when he's up.