The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

With the NHL Draft today I would like to start the topic on the next upcoming draft. (Sorry if it's already exists, searched and couldn't find a topic)

With the Expansion draft confirmed the Sin City is guaranteed no lower than 6th, but what about the Canucks? With Nolan Patrick being the debated 1st overall pick will we be seeing the next #19 on the blue and green? or will we see him joining the "City of Champions".

I'll add in more players but I'm off my lunch now.

Edited by hyper00

whoa whoa whoa

Out of respect let's just hold on here until this draft is at least done its second round possibly?

It's 1:43 pm the draft for this year doesn't start for 2 hours and 17 minutes.

Nolan Patrick is currently the only sure thing by all accounts.  So let's wait a day or two and possibly revisit this instead of jumping in while we're still rumour mongering and losing our minds in fear of a potential Logan Brown draft selection

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, hyper00 said:

With the NHL Draft today I would like to start the topic on the next upcoming draft. (Sorry if it's already exists, searched and couldn't find a topic)

With the Expansion draft confirmed the Sin City is guaranteed no lower than 6th, but what about the Canucks? With Nolan Patrick being the debated 1st overall pick will we be seeing the next #19 on the blue and green? or will we see him joining the "City of Champions".

You didn't find it, because it's in the AHL, International and Junior thread:

I know, the 2016 one is in the prospects sub-forum, but technically it fits better in the other forum since we don't just talk Canucks prospects and we cover a lot of draft picks that'll never end up being Canucks.

But there you go!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

You didn't find it, because it's in the AHL, International and Junior thread:

I know, the 2016 one is in the prospects sub-forum, but technically it fits better in the other forum since we don't just talk Canucks prospects and we cover a lot of draft picks that'll never end up being Canucks.

But there you go!

That's odd considering I used the search function, granted I used only 2 pages of research to make this

After requesting permission to bump this I figured to keep this post, I understand having one in the other forum makes sense, but this allows for Canucks fans to specifically focus on the draft. Whether it's Nolan Patrick or late pick it has to do with performance and injuries.

Since we're looking to finish between 15th overall to 25th overall, I'd focus around there. 

Kristian Vesalainen would be my pick. 6'3 203lbs. He's a big boy and he's a left winger, a position of need. 

He's got a heavy shot and he's also very quick. Plays physical too and he's from Finland ;p

Another would be Cal Foote. Two way defenseman with offensive upside. Had a really good year with Kelowna this year and might be a top 10 pick. Also a righty to boot, would look nice with Juolevi in the future. An offensive defenseman paired up with a two-way defenseman... He's been compared to with the likes of Brent Seabrook as well so he's a player to watch for next season. Liljegren would be great but he's a top 5 pick.

This draft does have some good players in the first round. Not too familiar with the players in the 2nd round and beyond.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Since we're looking to finish between 15th overall to 25th overall, I'd focus around there. 

Kristian Vesalainen would be my pick. 6'3 203lbs. He's a big boy and he's a left winger, a position of need. 

He's got a heavy shot and he's also very quick. Plays physical too and he's from Finland ;p

Another would be Cal Foote. Two way defenseman with offensive upside. Had a really good year with Kelowna this year and might be a top 10 pick. Also a righty to boot, would look nice with Juolevi in the future. An offensive defenseman paired up with a two-way defenseman... He's been compared to with the likes of Brent Seabrook as well so he's a player to watch for next season. Liljegren would be great but he's a top 5 pick.

This draft does have some good players in the first round. Not too familiar with the players in the 2nd round and beyond.

Well Cal Foote would definitely give us that Keith/Seabrooke duo the Canucks could really need.

But Vesalainen would be nice but ranked #7 according to draft buzzbuzz. Will fill in as a potential Daniel replacement.

• Upvote 1

I think we might be too good this year to finish in the bottom 5.  I think this time around, adding a centre man , an offensive one, Somone that can actually play a role as a 1st liner can really be beneficial in our re tooling mode.

we have goaltending kinda set with demko.

we got our dman (finally after 11 years), so defence is fine,

we have our right wingers in virt and boeser,

all we need is a centre man.  Horvat is fine but I think he's more of a number 2 centre man.

On 6/24/2016 at 1:42 PM, hyper00 said:

Thanks for starting this.... and taking the initial wave of fire grenades ;)

I certainly enjoy the draft and the weeks heading into it, and just like with Netflix I can't just drop it once I've sat 10 hours straight consuming all the new episodes of my fav series. So, with that in mind let's begin brain storming about 2017 ::D

Based on http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/ the Canucks have the following 3 picks (and yeah the exact order will  change). But for the purpose of this discussion let's say that we fall within 5 spots of these.

1st round - 3 - 12 OA

2nd round - 33 - 43 OA

3rd round - 64 - 74 OA

*there's the CBJ 2nd round pick... but I'm not totally sure*

It would be luck and only luck that we land the 1st overall, thus I'm not counting on landing P. Nolan. Which prospects look interesting near the 1st 3 picks the Canucks have?

These are mine:

A. Vesalainen - RW 6.3 skating is his distinction http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=222125 has rep Finland and playing with older kids

N. Hague - D 6.6 size OHL kid invited last 2 years to national team http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=253977

M. Rasmussen - C 6.5 local boy, with size at key position http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286738 good numbers

H. Leufuenius - C 6.2 http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=264220 seems like he's been dominant the last 3 years

I'm hoping that we can snag at least 2 of these kids next year. 

Please share what prospects you think we should keep our eyes on.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, 1994_fan said:

Thanks for starting this.... and taking the initial wave of fire grenades ;)

I certainly enjoy the draft and the weeks heading into it, and just like with Netflix I can't just drop it once I've sat 10 hours straight consuming all the new episodes of my fav series. So, with that in mind let's begin brain storming about 2017 ::D

Based on http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/ the Canucks have the following 3 picks (and yeah the exact order will  change). But for the purpose of this discussion let's say that we fall within 5 spots of these.

1st round - 3 - 12 OA

2nd round - 33 - 43 OA

3rd round - 64 - 74 OA

*there's the CBJ 2nd round pick... but I'm not totally sure*

It would be luck and only luck that we land the 1st overall, thus I'm not counting on landing P. Nolan. Which prospects look interesting near the 1st 3 picks the Canucks have?

These are mine:

A. Vesalainen - RW 6.3 skating is his distinction http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=222125 has rep Finland and playing with older kids

N. Hague - D 6.6 size OHL kid invited last 2 years to national team http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=253977

M. Rasmussen - C 6.5 local boy, with size at key position http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286738 good numbers

H. Leufuenius - C 6.2 http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=264220 seems like he's been dominant the last 3 years

I'm hoping that we can snag at least 2 of these kids next year. 

Please share what prospects you think we should keep our eyes on.

3-12 is a pretty wide margin :o.  I expect us to be more like 9-24 ::D

If the prospect isn't Finnish he's already a bust....I mean if he's not from the USNDT he's bust.....I mean if he's not from St. Louis he's a bust.....I mean if he's not from London Knights he's a bust.....^_^.

• Upvote 1

On 02/07/2016 at 1:38 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I think we might be too good this year to finish in the bottom 5.  I think this time around, adding a centre man , an offensive one, Somone that can actually play a role as a 1st liner can really be beneficial in our re tooling mode.

we have goaltending kinda set with demko.

we got our dman (finally after 11 years), so defence is fine,

we have our right wingers in virt and boeser,

all we need is a centre man.  Horvat is fine but I think he's more of a number 2 centre man.

We will need to draft at least 1 goalie this draft. We got Marky, Demko and potentially Garteig after this season. But, what if one doesnt pan out. Always good to have The cupboards stocked. 

I'm not familiar with any of the names in the 2017 draft yet with the exception of Patrick Nolan. but we ain't getting him unless the wheels completely fall off this team this upcoming season. I wouldn't mind tanking. but that's no longer any guarantee under the new system. Winnipeg is proof of that this past draft. but I think we will get a good player for the team moving forward even if it's not a top five pick. 

Here in Switzerland is a lot of hope that Nico Hischier will become that elite Center we miss for so long. Will make first NA steps in Halifax with the Mooseheads, plays a Datsyuk two-way style. I expect him to climb numbers this year because Switzerland isn't that much on the radar. Nolan is a lock, but from #2 till #8 everything is possible for him.

• Upvote 3

On 7/14/2016 at 1:10 PM, N4ZZY said:

I'm not familiar with any of the names in the 2017 draft yet with the exception of Patrick Nolan. but we ain't getting him unless the wheels completely fall off this team this upcoming season. I wouldn't mind tanking. but that's no longer any guarantee under the new system. Winnipeg is proof of that this past draft. but I think we will get a good player for the team moving forward even if it's not a top five pick. 

I would say you're not familiar with any of them

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 3