The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

I think so.  Theyre different players though.  Drai is a playmaker first and foremost.  Patrick is more of a sniper, but I wouldnt always say that shooting is his first option.  I think thats what I like most about Patrick.  hes such a solid all around player.  He has soft hands like Drai and can make buttery saucers, but can snipe.  Good skater, more aggressive than Drai, and better defensively imo.   Bill Watters believes he will become very much like Johnathan Toews.  Team leader,  good at everything.  Craig Button compares his skill set to Eric Staal.  Id have to agree with both comparisons.  He wont blow you away with exciting plays, but hell produce in a number of ways and contribute even when hes not on the score sheet.  

My personal player comparison for Nolan Patrick is Trevor Linden.  A consistent 35 G 35 A  threat that has leadership qualities, a big frame, and a well rounded set of attributes.  

His addition to this team would be franchise altering imo.

Couldn't agree more, whenever I see Patrick I think of Linden. If we were to get the first overall.. Who would you take? Patrick or Hishier? I take Patrick 1st OA and Nico 2nd OA every time.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, .Naslund said:

I actually really like Necas and do prefer him over Middlestaedt, and possibly Vilardi too. Necas is tenacious and has tremendous speed. Plays like Giroux kind off, and is also playing against grown men already. There's lot to like about him. He's the type of player you need in the playoffs. 

Middlestaedt of course has sick mitts and whatnot, but I really am skeptical about his dedication if he was drafted by the Canucks. He's refrained from playing at the next level already, and I feel as if he would leave us through FA to return to Minnesota LOL. His defensive game definitely needs work but he obviously is very good offensively...so were Ryan Strome, Burmistrov, Filatov, etc...

I've seen very little of Necas but from what I have seen/read, I'd not be surprised if the Canucks have him top 5. His size and the relative  lack of info on him is concerning but the kids sounds like a gamer and clearly team scouts will have far more info available than we do.

10 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Going off these supposed lists, could it be Tolvanen that he is referring to as the #2 offensive forward? He talks about Dahlen, Goldobin, Boeser, and Baertschi, he then says that "this player is also not a centre." He also says that the #2 offensive forward plays in the same league as Mittelstadt and that he has 80% of his points at even strength. Also, he says that most Canucks fans would rather have the #1 and #2 ranked offensive defensemen than the #2 offensive forward.

Tolvanen is a winger and of his 53 points in the USHL (also a league that Mittelstadt played in this year) 12 of them came from the powerplay. So roughly 80% of his points came even strength. 

Moreover, he also said that the only way they pick up the #1 offensive defenseman is if the the other centremen the Canucks want is gone, and that after Necas is the #3 and #4 ranked two-way forward

Putting it all together, the supposed list might look like...

2-Way F:

Patrick

Necas

_________

_________

Offensive F

Hischier

Tolvanen

Mittelstadt

_________

Vilardi

OFD

Liljegren

Makar/Valimaki (most likely Makar)

So, going in reverse...

11. Vilardi

10. #4 Offensive F

9. Mittelstadt

8. Tolvanen

7. Makar

6. Liljegren

5. #4 2-Way F (Glass/Pettersson???)

4. #3 2-Way F (Glass/Pettersson???)

3. Martin Necas

2. Nico Hischier

1. Nolan Patrick

So the question becomes, who could possibly be the #3 2-Way F, the #4 2-way F, and the #4 Offensive F?

I have Mittel higher but I've posted numerous times that the 3-10 spots are IMO all largely interchangeable and that I personally prefer Mittel, Necas, Petterson and Glass ahead of Vilardi, (never mind Lilj/Makar) so something like that ^^^ wouldn't terribly surprise me.

42 minutes ago, rypien=hero said:

Couldn't agree more, whenever I see Patrick I think of Linden. If we were to get the first overall.. Who would you take? Patrick or Hishier? I take Patrick 1st OA and Nico 2nd OA every time.

I've honestly been flip flopping over most of the top 10 for this year.  But the more research I do, I think there's still far more of a franchise player in Patrick than I see in hischier.   I'm trying to think of a successful NHL centre that plays hischiers style at his size, and the honest reality is that many of those types end up being converted to wing at the NHL level unless they are elite at stick checking alla Datsyuk.   Duchene has tonnes of skill and speed.  How's he at playing centre in the NHL?  Willie nylander converted to wing.  Likely the same for Keller.  

Its just a real tough league to play that position within that skill set without having a tenacious and smothering checking attitude.  Ie toews Crosby  krejci Bergeron.  Also why the Canucks have significant interest in Necas, as he's shown that element and is already playing vs men. 

Size is important if your going to rely on skill as a centre.  if you want a centre then Patrick is a safer bet to have better success within that position at the NHL level.  

Putting up up points is all good but if you want to be a legit #1C at the NHL level, you simply have to do more.  Get wingers to do that for you.  Find centres to lead your team in all aspects.  I think Patrick can be that player. 

All all that being said, hischier does have a high compete and is a cerebral player.  Can he be the next Henrik Zetterberg?  It's possible. 

Edited by 70seven
  • Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Think Michael Dal Colle with a higher compete, but a little slower, and not quite as good of hands in terms of style. The shot generation and scoring contributions he has made for his team and in the playoffs are elite though for draft eligible players.

Easy pick at 33-36 for me if he's there. One of those picks where if he can improve his skating, then you actually have a top end prospect. If not then maybe he is just an AHL top 6 guy. Speed is so key in the NHL today. Also young.

Cheers. This fits with what I was seeing (although with limited game views) and hearing/reading regarding Robertson.

I've also heard that he's a high character kid with a great work ethic, so seems like a player who won't balk at putting in the necessary time to improve.

Also the skating seems largely an issue with technique/mechanics, so he should be able to get some significant results through targeted one-on-one sessions with a skating coach.

The rest of the tools seem to be there with Robertson. So if his skating can be improved, there really looks to be a lot of potential for him developing into a good young NHL player.

If the rankings hold and he's around in the early 2nd round, I'd be pretty happy to see us grab him. Looks like he could be a steal (although I'd imagine this possibility hasn't escaped some of the other teams).

6 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I've honestly been flip flopping over most of the top 10 for this year.  But the more research I do, I think there's still far more of a franchise player in Patrick than I see in hischier.   I'm trying to think of a successful NHL centre that plays hischiers style at his size, and the honest reality is that many of those types end up being converted to wing at the NHL level unless they are elite at stick checking alla Datsyuk.   Duchene has tonnes of skill and speed.  How's he at playing centre in the NHL?  Willie nylander converted to wing.  Likely the same for Keller.  

Its just a real tough league to play that position within that skill set without having a tenacious and smothering checking attitude.  Ie toews Crosby  krejci Bergeron.  Also why the Canucks have significant interest in Necas, as he's shown that element and is already playing vs men. 

Size is important if your going to rely on skill as a centre.  if you want a centre then Patrick is a safer bet to have better success within that position at the NHL level.  

Putting up up points is all good but if you want to be a legit #1C at the NHL level, you simply have to do more.  Get wingers to do that for you.  Find centres to lead your team in all aspects.  I think Patrick can be that player. 

Agreed, I see Patrick as that big strong gamebreaker that knows how to score.  Which this team very badly needs.  When the team needs a goal he will win that puck and take it to the net with bad intentions, I see a Blake Wheeler type player that can win faceoffs and kill penalties. 

Best case scenario for me is that we pick up a center in the early 1st (Patrick, MittlelstMittelstadt, Necas, Vilardi in that order), then with our early 2nd, I pray that Lias Andersson falls. IMO he is the second coming of Henrik Zetterberg and could very well become the best player in this draft.

I remember that last year we had this same talk about Chychrun and his injury woes. He ended up falling heavily but he's played out this season pretty nicely missing only a couple of games. Are there any other drafts where there was a player in the top 5 with big injury problems? It would be interesting to see how they turned out.

7 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

As many of scouts are saying, after pick 2 there is no consensus. So fans should prepare themselves  for a few "surprises" (like PLD going before JP) 

Yup.

Anybody 'convinced' that Vilardi or Mittel etc are top 4 without any doubt could be setting themselves up for disappointment/surprise. The next 8-10'ish guys after Patrick/Hischier could go in ANY order.

Even the top 25 aren't terribly clear. For instance, a lot of mocks have Suzuki in the 20's and I'd not be surprisded to see him picked anywhere beyond 8'ish either.

This year's draft is all over the map.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yup.

Anybody 'convinced' that Vilardi or Mittel etc are top 4 without any doubt could be setting themselves up for disappointment/surprise. The next 8-10'ish guys after Patrick/Hischier could go in ANY order.

Even the top 25 aren't terribly clear. For instance, a lot of mocks have Suzuki in the 20's and I'd not be surprisded to see him picked anywhere beyond 8'ish either.

This year's draft is all over the map.

Find me a mock (within the last month) that doesn't have Vilardi top 4....

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

That's precisely not the point. Congrats on missing it so completely. :P:lol:

Your point?

Maybe try rewording, You think there's not guarantee that Vilardi or Mittel are locks for top 4.  I'm stating that Vilardi is.... Good job on missing the point i made....:P:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Your point?

Maybe try rewording, You think there's not guarantee that Vilardi or Mittel are locks for top 4.  I'm stating that Vilardi is.... Good job on missing the point i made....:P:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, you:

'could be setting themselves up for disappointment/surprise'.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Well, you:

'could be setting themselves up for disappointment/surprise'.

..... Pretty generic statement...just like "the sky is blue."

There's always a chance someone drops,  Laine could have went before mathews, Jones dropped to 4th, Forsberg dropped to 12th, Dubois going ahead of Puljijarvi.  But the general consensus by ALL major scouting reports is that  Vilardi is a top 4 pick.  If Patrick/Hischier are locks for top 2, than Vilardi is a lock for the top 4

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Yes the Czech Extraliga their 2nd tier mens league is good what he has shown is impressive.  

Pretty sure the Extraliga is the top league in the Czech Rep. It's similar to the Finnish league in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Find me a mock (within the last month) that doesn't have Vilardi top 4....

Exactly... vilardi and mittlestadt may be listed  as top 5 picks, but a high chance  Glass or Necas or Tippet go in those top 5 picks instead.  From your statement you would be very surprised if Vilardi doesn't go top 4, which in this draft is very possible even tho he's listed in a lot of mocks. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Exactly... vilardi and mittlestadt may be listed  as top 5 picks, but a high chance  Glass or Necas or Tippet go in those top 5 picks instead.  From your statement you would be very surprised if Vilardi doesn't go top 4, which in this draft is very possible even tho he's listed in a lot of mocks. 

I would be very surprised. And I think a lot of other hockey scouts would be as well. It could happen that he drops as some teams could go off the board/pick team needs. But overall I would say he's is a top four lock and if he fails outside of the top four I will be in just as much shock as I was to see Dubois go before puljujarvi. 

• Upvote 1