The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Mittelstadt is my guy, assuming we're out of the top 2. 

Many have Nick Suzuki as a late riser, could be a surprise top 10:

I think he could be a top 10 guy (or turn into one of the top 10 guys from the draft).  High hockey IQ

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So you project Hischier as not franchise-changing?  Will he remain a center, does he have 1st-line potential?  Or is the current Ehlers his ceiling?

Personal prediction. he wont stay a center without putting on some major weight, he's far to light to be a producing #1 center in this league.  It's much easier for small players to make it as wingers than centers.  That's why Marner has only taken 37 draws this year. Giroux is the only center under 190 I can think of off the top of my head but he doesn't have to go up against, Kopitar, Getzlaf Mcdavid, Thornton on a nightly basis.   I think any player that can put up 60+ point is first line potential but that doesn't mean they are franchise changing,  Kessel and gaborik come to mind, good hockey players that can put up points but not someone you build a team around.  

I really believe that this year if we win that first or second overall we could trade down, pick up some assets and still end up with a really good player, possibly a better player than the top two.

• Upvote 1

So now that we are 2nd last in the league, still 2 games remaining, what I noticed in draft simulator is that if all 3 winners are outside the top 4, we drop to 5th overall and if Colorado wins any of the top 3 we select 4th, unless we win one of the coveted top 3 picks ourselves.  Just going by Bettmans,  (Murphys law), I expect the 4th pick to be ours.  Woohoo!  Haha but if I see Colorado win I know we at least have the 4th pick unless Vancouver gets one of the picks.

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

4 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

So now that we are 2nd last in the league, still 2 games remaining, what I noticed in draft simulator is that if all 3 winners are outside the top 4, we drop to 5th overall and if Colorado wins any of the top 3 we select 4th, unless we win one of the coveted top 3 picks ourselves.  Just going by Bettmans,  (Murphys law), I expect the 4th pick to be ours.  Woohoo!  Haha

I just ran the simulator 15 times and the 2nd best percentage only scored the first and third pick once...  lol.  TB had a better outcome.  This franchise is cursed.

• Upvote 1

I believe some people have said that there's nobody in this year's draft that would displace any of the top 5 in last year's draft. Matthews and Laine are obvious. But I wonder if the Canucks have the top overall pick and the opportunity is there, would they trade it for either Puljujarvi or Pierre Luc Dubois? Imho, I almost think the Canucks would say 'no' to that and not just because Nico and Nolan are both Centers, but because both Puljujarvi and Dubois have lost some of their shine with their production in the minors.

1 minute ago, 70seven said:

I just ran the simulator 15 times and the 2nd best percentage only scored the first and third pick once...  lol.  TB had a better outcome.  This franchise is cursed.

If I see Colorado win one of the top 3 I will be happy, if I see the Canucks win one also I will be happier, unless we take the top spot.  But if we don't,  I know we get the 4th pick if we see Colorado win one of the top 3 and we don't. 

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Personal prediction. he wont stay a center without putting on some major weight, he's far to light to be a producing #1 center in this league.  It's much easier for small players to make it as wingers than centers.  That's why Marner has only taken 37 draws this year. Giroux is the only center under 190 I can think of off the top of my head but he doesn't have to go up against, Kopitar, Getzlaf Mcdavid, Thornton on a nightly basis.   I think any player that can put up 60+ point is first line potential but that doesn't mean they are franchise changing,  Kessel and gaborik come to mind, good hockey players that can put up points but not someone you build a team around.  

I really believe that this year if we win that first or second overall we could trade down, pick up some assets and still end up with a really good player, possibly a better player than the top two.

I agree on hischier.  For a skilled player who's game is really built on speed and offence, his numbers aren't really all that eye popping, especially considering he plays in the Q.  He's not even on par with ehlers and certainly not drouin.  I still really like Patrick though.  Honestly I think he's the only potential franchise changer in this draft.  Still think there's Trevor linden like upside there.  

I do do respect Craig buttons opinion that he sees zetterberg in hischier.  That's worth noting imo.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

So now that we are 2nd last in the league, still 2 games remaining, what I noticed in draft simulator is that if all 3 winners are outside the top 4, we drop to 5th overall and if Colorado wins any of the top 3 we select 4th, unless we win one of the coveted top 3 picks ourselves.  Just going by Bettmans,  (Murphys law), I expect the 4th pick to be ours.  Woohoo!  Haha but if I see Colorado win I know we at least have the 4th pick unless Vancouver gets one of the picks.

If colorado picks 1 we could still pick 2 if it were to end today

Edited by Bobby_Lu1ngo
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I agree on hischier.  For a skilled player who's game is really built on speed and offence, his numbers aren't really all that eye popping, especially considering he plays in the Q.  He's not even on par with ehlers and certainly not drouin. 

Hischier is the only reason the Mooseheads even made the playoffs; this was supposed to be a rebuild year.

Drouin had MacKinnon(1st overall pick), and Ehlers had Drouin(3rd overall pick). Hischier has Fortier (undrafted). 

If you watched the games you would see how many chances Hischier creates for himself and his teammates. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Just to clarify... IF the Vancouver Canucks win first overall for the first time in franchise history, 47 years of drafting, you honestly think the Canucks would even consider trading the pick?

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He was listed as 178lbs during top prospects game so only needs to add 12 lbs to get to 190. David Krecji plays at 186, Henrik Sedin is under 190 (183-188 depending on where you look),  Kyle Turris is at 190. I think he'll get to 185-195 range in a couple years. 

Having said that, I do agree that trading down would be best option.

2 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

He was listed as 178lbs during top prospects game so only needs to add 12 lbs to get to 190. David Krecji plays at 186, Henrik Sedin is under 190 (183-188 depending on where you look),  Kyle Turris is at 190. I think he'll get to 185-195 range in a couple years. 

Having said that, I do agree that trading down would be best option.

For what exactly? Or even roughly?

20 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Just to clarify... IF the Vancouver Canucks win first overall for the first time in franchise history, 47 years of drafting, you honestly think the Canucks would even consider trading the pick?

I don't want to speak for other people, but it's obvious what he's trying to say. He's not saying what he thinks the Canucks would do with the pick but rather what he thinks they should do (or what he would do in that situation).

• Upvote 1

Just now, funkyfresh said:

I don't want to speak for other people, but it's obvious what he's trying to say. He's not saying what he thinks the Canucks would do with the pick but rather what he thinks they should do (or what he would do in that situation).

Well this isn't NHL 17, so what he would do in that regard doesn't matter all that much. There is no chance that the Canucks trade down if they are awarded 1st overall. None. 

Just now, HomeBrew said:

Well this isn't NHL 17, so what he would do in that regard doesn't matter all that much. There is no chance that the Canucks trade down if they are awarded 1st overall. None. 

No one is going to disagree with that statement but this is a discussion forum and he's telling us what he thinks is best option for the team. You can be an arse and state the obvious or let him discuss his opinion with others who are interested in that specific alternative.

• Upvote 1

Sportsnet Top 4 after we lost tonight vs the Yotes:

Patrick

Hischier

Liljegren

Tippett

not that I agree with their rankings but it's not a bad list considering they have far more reporters and analysts who scout the players far more than we do. Top 2 is still my top 2 and what I agree with. We're in position to pick Hischier who is a franchise changing player and a game changer every time he is out on the ice. Patrick is your more traditional top pick. Nothing flashy but a great playmaker, solid 2 way game, good 200' game, provides leadership, and a player you can put on the ice like Hischier when you need a clutch game tying/game winning goal. Now Liljegren and Tippett round off the list but it can easily be interchangeable considering team needs, prospect being similar or has just as much upside as either one of the two. I would have Vilardi, Middlestadt possibly in the mix in the top 4 along with Makar, Pettersson but no matter what, we will end up with a good player. If we manage to hang on to 2, Hischier is our man and we basically hit gold picking him   with Avs, Vegas, Yotes possibly picking up Patrick. His WJCs performance sold me and he's just so shifty with the puck and sees the ice really well. His defensive game could use some work but having some defensive players in our team will help cover up him up if he doesn't manage to come back into our own zone fast enough. Really hope we have some luck by our side and win the lotto and if not, finishing runner up wouldn't be shabby either

Edited by Beary Sweet

6 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

No one is going to disagree with that statement but this is a discussion forum and he's telling us what he thinks is best option for the team. You can be an arse and state the obvious or let him discuss his opinion with others who are interested in that specific alternative.

Ahaha Alright bud. Sounds like a topic more suited for the proposal / armchair GM section honestly. Otherwise, what is the point of wasting room in this discussion on something that won't ever happen?