The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, Fan since 82 said:

Question about Makar....is he eligible to play in the AHL next year? He didn't play in one of the more traditional leagues last year so wondering if perhaps he can go directly to the AHL like a European can?

He's committed to college.

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

so, your saying if we draft glass this year and he turns out to be a bust, it's benning and the scouts fault, that they didn't have the foresight to know this.?

I would say an emphatic yes.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I'm saying if we draft Glass and he turns out to be a busy it absolutely is on management and scouting, they wouldn't have done a good enough job. Especially if someone taken within a few spots of him turns out to be a stud. It would absolutely amplify it as it should 

sounds like you should become a scout, we'ld never lose out on a draft pick again. 

Just now, smithers joe said:

sounds like you should become a scout, we'ld never lose out on a draft pick again. 

I never said I'd be a great scout, that's why I'm not paid very nicely to do it, like the people are that you claim hold no responsibility when it comes to drafting. For the record I'd go with Glass, would have taken Ehlers and Tkachuk too so maybe I really should get the job?

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, Screw said:

True, every team has these tales.  Vancouver has more than many. Thus bringing us full circle to why some fans, not all Deb, are jaded.

But it leaves me wondering....if I CHOSE to follow something I'd become jaded over, isn't that my deal?  You can only slam the team for so long before it becomes of matter of personal responsibility for our own happiness.

I love this team...it hasn't been perfect but I do this for enjoyment.  The day it stops being enjoyable is the day to ... pack it in?   Find something different to do?  

I'm stoked for the draft...it's hockey related stuff.  In the off season, I eat it up and it's all something to look forward to.  To go in with a defeatest attitude just doesn't make sense to me.

I call it the Eeyore syndrome.

• Upvote 4

I think the Canucks definitely have Glass as their 1st pick, if he's still available. I sure hope so, saw the kid's profile on Sportsnet the other night and he's got a ton of character, persevered through some tough times. 6'2" and still growing. Also, a Winnipegger (same as Patrick), so I'm a little bias, originally being from there.

I don't really want a D at #5 again this year. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

But it leaves me wondering....if I CHOSE to follow something I'd become jaded over, isn't that my deal?  You can only slam the team for so long before it becomes of matter of personal responsibility for our own happiness.

I love this team...it hasn't been perfect but I do this for enjoyment.  The day it stops being enjoyable is the day to ... pack it in?   Find something different to do?  

I'm stoked for the draft...it's hockey related stuff.  In the off season, I eat it up and it's all something to look forward to.  To go in with a defeatest attitude just doesn't make sense to me.

When you're a realist and a Canucks fan it's easy to be jaded. You don't pick who and what you love, unfortunately I love the Canucks and hockey, just because they've been inept for as long as they have doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching or pick a new team, that's not how it works. Hopefully they can win a cup at some point but with my favorite sport teams I'm used to being disappointed and absolutely not expecting it to happen haha

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think the Canucks definitely have Glass as their 1st pick, if he's still available. I sure hope so, saw the kid's profile on Sportsnet the other night and he's got a ton of character, persevered through some tough times. 6'2" and still growing. Also, a Winnipegger (same as Patrick), so I'm a little bias, originally being from there.

I don't really want a D at #5 again this year. 

I'm with you.  Vilardi has been my guy for several months now but I would be more than happy with Glass.  There is so much to like about  him.

I also agree that I'd rather not take a defenseman but even then there's some definite things to be excited about.

I'm pretty excited for this draft because I really don't see myself being disappointed.  Just perhaps different levels of excitement 

21 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I enjoy the game. I enjoy the team. Always have.  Always will.

Also, if you review my posing history I am usually a homer of sorts.  I am not slamming the team by pointing out glaring weaknesses.  It is what fans do, debate and discuss, no?

Do I like losing?  Do I like watching draft picks bust?   No. I also wont shrug my shoulders and say, "ah well" and be a Tigger

I can recognize a certain level of cynicism built up by faithfully witnessing too many failures and not enough success.

• Upvote 1

Just now, winthecup said:

my take:

40 % they will take Glass

20% they take Vilardi

20% Makar

20% someone else

I think it's 100% Makar if he's there. Second choice being Glass. Third Choice being Pettersson. I'm not exactly sure where Heiskanen would rank if he fell to us and the others were available. It's nice cause I'm happy with any and everyone.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

I think it's 100% Makar if he's there. Second choice being Glass. Third Choice being Pettersson. I'm not exactly sure where Heiskanen would rank if he fell to us and the others were available. It's nice cause I'm happy with any and everyone.

That is my take

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If Vilardi were available at #5 I think they would take him over Petterson and possibly over Glass and Makar if they were available at #5. 

• Upvote 2