The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Today's the day! Get your complaining shoes on. So my prediction is Makar gets selected before our pick, Benning visibly disappointed he's selected and he passes on Vilardi and takes Pettersson. Draft day!!!

Would be interesting to see the reaction of the fan base if Vilardi,Glass,Middlestat are sitting at 5 and Benning trades down to get Petterson.

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Las Vegas just a few months in to existence will have a deeper prospect pool than us after tomorrow.  Benning better not just sit on his ass tomorrow

Quit being so dramatic. Even if they have 12 picks today, hard to believe all 12 of those picks will be legit NHL players.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Quit being so dramatic. Even if they have 12 picks today, hard to believe all 12 of those picks will be legit NHL players.

It's not much different than some Canuck fan's figuring all Benning's picks will play in the NHL. You could say that about every fan base.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Today's the day! Get your complaining shoes on. So my prediction is Makar gets selected before our pick, Benning visibly disappointed he's selected and he passes on Vilardi and takes Pettersson. Draft day!!!

I bet this is it exactly

10 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Tough not to like the kid.... Him or Vilardi are my preferences but I just like big strong centres. 

Yeah, if either one of those guys is available I hope the Canucks don't pick a D.  If both are gone and Benning thinks Peterrson could fall a bit, then trade down if the option is there.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What does it exactly mean when someone says this?   You going to find a new team to root for?    If Glass if available too and they choose him over Vilardi you will now be a fan of another team?   I want them to draft Glass over all other than two players who will be long gone.   If they don't, I still believe I will follow the team but remain curious what you will do.

It's less to do with cheering for a new team and more to do with completely loosing faith in the current mgmt group.  You will still cheer for the team and hope they win but don't believe they will be able to accomplish anything until someone more capable will be brought it.

Kind of how i felt with WD as a coach.  I still cheered for the canucks but had no faith in the coach and knew that the team needed to move on from him if they wanted to get anywhere.  I'm guessing to what Barry means is that he would feel the same way about mgmt.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, shayster007 said:

His skating. Not saying I agree with it, but I have heard uncle Willy and Benning talking about Megnas speed being the reason why he's on the team. 

Then sign Patrick Chan - he would be more effective.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's less to do with cheering for a new team and more to do with completely loosing faith in the current mgmt group.  You will still cheer for the team and hope they win but don't believe they will be able to accomplish anything until someone more capable will be brought it.

Kind of how i felt with WD as a coach.  I still cheered for the canucks but had no faith in the coach and knew that the team needed to move on from him if they wanted to get anywhere.  I'm guessing to what Barry means is that he would feel the same way about mgmt.

Fair enough but you will never agree with every player choice, every coach choice or every choice of management personnel when you  are following a team.   Even fans of teams at top of their cycle will have components that they don't agree with.   I just have never understood ultimatum statements that are not followed with a "then I will..." or similar to indicate what that finality will lead to.   

11 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If someone can skate or shoot the puck it really doesn't matter if someone is pushing back or not. It's very clear that Makar has high skill. It's not like he's doing absurd things that would only work on children. He's not a Harlem Globe trotter. 

Not necessary true. 

Everything is a product of time and space.  In tighter games players aren't able to open up their speed.  With stronger defensive teams, players aren't able to find open lanes to use their shot.  With faster and more positional sound teams, players have less time to make their decisions.  With bigger and more physically competition, the mental aspect starts to kick in.   

I'm honestly hoping that Makar is off the board by #5 so we don't have to be left with the risk of taking him.  His make or break will come next year around the half way point in the season in Umass.  He's going to struggle out of the gate, as most players do and it's going to be even harder for him since he's got a bigger quality of competition jump to adjust to.  If he can stick with it and not loose his confidence he will hopefully bounce back and continue his development path towards being an NHLer, if he doesn't it will be a long road for him.

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

It's not much different than some Canuck fan's figuring all Benning's picks will play in the NHL. You could say that about every fan base.

What are you even talking about? I'm just saying it's premature to say that a team is going to have a deeper prospect pool than us when those picks haven't even been made yet. Even then, it would take another 2-3 years to judge. 

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Fair enough but you will never agree with every player choice, every coach choice or every choice of management personnel when you  are following a team.   Even fans of teams at top of their cycle will have components that they don't agree with.   I just have never understood ultimatum statements that are not followed with a "then I will..." or similar to indicate what that finality will lead to.   

Yeah you will never fully agree with every decision but sometimes people feel that a certain move (or the culmination of a few moves) had a huge impact on the future.  The wrong move today could set canucks back a few years in develop, where the right move could speed us up by a few years...

Nothing is worse than taking player A and him becoming "meh", while watching player B (the player you wanted) go on to be a star.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah you will never fully agree with every decision but sometimes people feel that a certain move (or the culmination of a few moves) had a huge impact on the future.  The wrong move today could set canucks back a few years in develop, where the right move could speed us up by a few years...

Nothing is worse than taking player A and him becoming "meh", while watching player B (the player you wanted) go on to be a star.

What's worse is when the response from the high paid executives paid for their opinions shrug and say "their 18 yr olds, it's crap shoot!"

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not necessary true. 

Everything is a product of time and space.  In tighter games players aren't able to open up their speed.  With stronger defensive teams, players aren't able to find open lanes to use their shot.  With faster and more positional sound teams, players have less time to make their decisions.  With bigger and more physically competition, the mental aspect starts to kick in.   

I'm honestly hoping that Makar is off the board by #5 so we don't have to be left with the risk of taking him.  His make or break will come next year around the half way point in the season in Umass.  He's going to struggle out of the gate, as most players do and it's going to be even harder for him since he's got a bigger quality of competition jump to adjust to.  If he can stick with it and not loose his confidence he will hopefully bounce back and continue his development path towards being an NHLer, if he doesn't it will be a long road for him.

Good analysis. 

I've seen Makar live a few times, and spoke with many season ticket holders in Brooks. What makes Makar special is that teams play him differently due to his speed and agility. They don't forecheck as tight as he can pivot and be top flight in 2 strides leaving a forward stranded, which makes for a wicked transition, they started to hang back and try and trap him which is why you see a lot of highlights of him free wheeling out of his own zone. His top speed is the absolute best i've seen outside of the NHL. When he wheels out of his zone... wow, its pretty crazy. I remember watching Bouwmeester in Jr, His skating was effortless but lacked a top speed. Makar on the other hand is the same effortless stride, but then WOW its just incredible, maybe not McDavid fast, but honestly not far off. 

That being said, when he runs into better players that are closer to his speed, with better coaching. The gamble is he will begin to second guess his abilities and be an absolute bust that can't fall back on anything. The upside is Neidermayer/Karlsson like transition and speed. Low Floor High Ceiling. HIGH RISK PICK. Which is why i want the Canucks to get 2 in the top 10 and get him AND one of Glass/Villardi/Peterrson. 

• Upvote 2