The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

8 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

OMG it's draft day!!!  The day we have been waiting for and it only took 435 pages to get here haha....  minus around 20 pages of griping about taking JV over Nylander and Ehlers....  

I like our options we have at 5, if Benning takes a C then life is good but that pick will still be scrutinized for 4 years or so, if he takes a D then watch out, unless it is Makar then life is good too haha...

Only 20?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually there is a huge difference.  Players with less risk/worry about their skill sets transitional tend to go higher.  Why do you 1st round picks make the NHL just before the other rounds.  Why do you think 1st overall picks tend to jump in the nhl immediately post draft. 

Lots of elite players get picked in later rounds but they have higher risks which is why teams take them with less valued picks.  The players skillsets are always there, but it's risk that makes players rise or drop.  For example, Kucherov has undeniable skill but he had such a high risk factor that teams didn't want to take the chance that he didn't ever play in the NHL with their first round pick so he fell to the 2nd round.  Makar is has far more risk than the other players in in the top 5 because of his competition.  In fact I would rank Makar and Walsh at the same level. Both skillets are close to being on par, both played and dominated in lesser league. One is slated to be a late 2nd the other is a top 5.  The only difference is hype and visibility. 

Yes there will be as much whinging as the Jake pick when we watch the players passed on become impact players and Makar struggle to be an NHL regular. 

So...we're drafting Cal Foote?

Makar will not struggle.  Your incredible unwillingness to accept he's a minimum of 3-5 years from even sniffing the NHL as per his own admittance that he wants to stay in college for 2 or 3 years is crazy

2-3 years in college 1-2 years in the AHL

A 4-5 year development timeline where he'll be playing against men.  Grown men.  At solid levels of competition.  The guy has skating vision and speed that is NHL grade.  The rest are things easily built off of.

I stand by it, do not be shocked if Makar is taken top 5.  I've said that for months now, much like I was on the Honka train a few years back and some projected him outside the 1st round.  Those skills translate

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Part of me though; is hoping we take Makar now no matter what.  Just to see the endless pages of whinging about him.

35 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

The rage and whining would be epic. 

Ugh, and prove terrible.dee right about "Virtanen 2.0?"  We already have Juolevi as a Virtanen 1.3.

I'll be pretty disappointed if we picked Pettersson and we didn't trade down where we could've gotten extra assets and picked Pettersson as well. But going to be positive and say we're going to pick a great player that will be the cornerstone of the franchise for many years.  but please if we could trade down for extra assets for Pettersson or just pick Vilardi at 5, I'll be a happy cookie

20 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Ugh, and prove terrible.dee right about "Virtanen 2.0?"  We already have Juolevi as a Virtanen 1.3.

Hey Come on man.  You might have posted the only credible argument as to why we shouldn't.  You're taking the fun out of it :P

8 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

What letter grade would you give to Pierre Luc Dubois and Jesse Puljijarvi..?

I give Chip letter grades I and S for impatient and shortsighted.

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Question what happens to Casey Mittelstadt? Wasn't he supposed to be one of the Top 5 picks (higher than glass) this year it seems like it seems word on him has been really quiet recently and has been passed over by Elias Pettersson.

I still have him at 3 personally. I expect he'll still go top 10 to some lucky team. Kid's going to be unreal after he finds the gym for a couple seasons in college IMO.

As for the Canucks, I think so long as Glass doesn't go 3rd or 4th, he's our guy at 5. If he's gone, along with whichever D he covets (which I'm guessing he sees going 3rd or 4th), that's where we see Benning explore trading down to 6, 7, 8 etc and grabbing Petterson+ IMO.

Wouldn't mind trying to see if we couldn't get 6 and one of 13/15 from VGK for our 5 + either.